Fort Lauderdale Restaurant updates

BlueHerons

More bad news, it seems from a letter to their patrons, JohnnyVs was forced out of their space by The Las Olas Company who own the space, they could not come to a rental agreement.

Grill Republic will also be closing in September. It is such a great space.

More bad news, it seems from a letter to their patrons, JohnnyVs was forced out of their space by The Las Olas Company who own the space, they could not come to a rental agreement.

Grill Republic will also be closing in September. It is such a great space.

I read the article about Johnny V's this morning. From what I read, the landlord wanted to increase the rent by 50%. Yikes!

Sad to see an institution like Le Cafe de Paris close after 50 years.

Blue, This is such bad news for Las Olas Blvd. Lots of empty spaces is never good.

We went to this fabulous place a couple of weekends ago in Naples http://www.hobnobnaples.com/ by restaurateur Michael Hernandez (founder of Mad Hatter in Captiva). The menu is funky fun and they get a young upscale crowd and they have live jazz bands that play until Midnight. It's really nice but unpretentious. It's exactly what Las Olas needs!

Blue, This is such bad news for Las Olas Blvd. Lots of empty spaces is never good.

We went to this fabulous place a couple of weekends ago in Naples http://www.hobnobnaples.com/ by restaurateur Michael Hernandez (founder of Mad Hatter in Captiva). The menu is funky fun and they get a young upscale crowd and they have live jazz bands that play until Midnight. It's really nice but unpretentious. It's exactly what Las Olas needs!

It sounds great! I love Naples!

I'm also worried about Lobster Bar because the place is always empty but my gosh, why put a $117 steak on your menu? We aren't Midtown Manhattan.

OSI (Outback) was in talks with the Las Olas Company to put a Flemings Steakhouse on the boulevard but they couldn't come to terms on the lease.

As of now, it is heading towards Big Time Restaurants and The Restaurant People owning everything on the boulevard.

That is sad. It seems that Las Olas Co's greed forced this but it would be interesting to hear their side of the story. It could be that their expenses went up so much and that it coincided with the ending of a long term lease. They also lost a lot of income when they knocked down the building east of the hotel and did nothing with the property other then rent out the empty lot occasionally for events. Health insurance and property insurance have gone up a lot in the last few years and has had a domino/trickle effect. Las Olas Co ended up losing 100% of income from the Johnny V space when they did not renew. If Johnny V couldn't make a profit at the new rent how in the world could a new restaurant make a profit?

I'm also worried about Lobster Bar because the place is always empty but my gosh, why put a $117 steak on your menu? We aren't Midtown Manhattan.

OSI (Outback) was in talks with the Las Olas Company to put a Flemings Steakhouse on the boulevard but they couldn't come to terms on the lease.

As of now, it is heading towards Big Time Restaurants and The Restaurant People owning everything on the boulevard.

We went to Lobster Bar once and didn't enjoy it at all. The food was good but the ambiance just wasn't relaxing.

I don't think Ft Lauderdale needs another steakhouse either.

BT and RP are taking over because they are great!

• 1 month later...

Grill Republic closed their doors last night.

I've also heard rumors about Mangos but I would not be surprised. Rarely are they busy but they may own the building.

B Square Burger Bar opened next door to Sweet Nectar and across from Louie Bossi and is very good and they are also pretty busy.

Being that this is our dead time of year, those are the only three restaurants aside from Roccos Tacos that are busy on Las Olas.

http://www.BSquareBurger.com

• 7 months later...

Thought I'd update this with a little information.

We are supposed to get a rooftop bar on the corner of Andrews and Las Olas by The Restaurant People (Yolo, S3, Tarpon Bend) but they have A LOT of irons in the fire right now.

The space that was Grill Republic is going to reopen as a Mexican Restaurant and Tequilaria by the name of Caminos.

Johnny Rockets is still shuttered.

Mangos closed and was going to reopen as upscale Italian but decided against it and is going to reopen as Mangos with new management after a massive (and much needed) renovation.

Tommy Bahamas is looking either at the space where Cafe de Paris is or putting Marlin Bar next to the clothing store. I'd kill for some of their scallop sliders!

Fork & Balls is still shuttered but The Restaurant People have a long term lease on the building and reopen as something. I hope they burn those horrible bar stools.

• 6 months later...

Just a local restaurant update for Las Olas.

It looks like Bokampers is going in the space by Roccos Tacos. I don't know if it will be named Bokampers or another but Kim Bokamper is opening something in that location.

El Caminos (just like the one in Delray on Atlantic) has started construction again and looks like they should be open by Christmas week. Really excited about that. Don Julio $14 shots after midnight (normally $30+, some over $50).

HOUSTONS!!!! OMG I am so excited about this! Going in the Suntrust building.

Zuma of Miami fame is going into the Las Olas Icon.

The Restaurant People have opened a rooftop bar where Las Olas Boulevard dead ends at Andrews. Very cool, but expensive drinks. Pop up restaurant on another floor.

http://www.therestaurantpeople.com/rooftop/

Next door to Shooters, where the Grateful Catering currently sits, we are getting a Mastros. Very upscale.

https://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/

Just a local restaurant update for Las Olas.

It looks like Bokampers is going in the space by Roccos Tacos. I don't know if it will be named Bokampers or another but Kim Bokamper is opening something in that location.

El Caminos (just like the one in Delray on Atlantic) has started construction again and looks like they should be open by Christmas week. Really excited about that. Don Julio $14 shots after midnight (normally $30+, some over $50).

HOUSTONS!!!! OMG I am so excited about this! Going in the Suntrust building.

Zuma of Miami fame is going into the Las Olas Icon.

The Restaurant People have opened a rooftop bar where Las Olas Boulevard dead ends at Andrews. Very cool, but expensive drinks. Pop up restaurant on another floor.

http://www.therestaurantpeople.com/rooftop/

Next door to Shooters, where the Grateful Catering currently sits, we are getting a Mastros. Very upscale.

https://www.mastrosrestaurants.com/

Thanks for all of the news! Houstons is one of my favorite restaurants!

You will love Mastros. We have eaten at the one in NYC a few times as it's one of my friends favorite restaurants.

The other Bokampers are all on water. I can't imagine an actual Bokampers there on Las Olas... nor would I want one. Yuck. Let's hope it's a different concept.

The Bokampers in Naples is not on the water. Well, it's on a VERY tiny 'lake' which is on Vanderbilt Beach Road.

The Bokampers in Naples is not on the water. Well, it's on a VERY tiny 'lake' which is on Vanderbilt Beach Road.

Correct. It's on the water... Plantation and Miramar, same.

I think it will be a non-Bokampers concept since it's not on the water.

I don't think it is a Bokampers. He was also opening something in the old Oasis space where A1A splits between Las Olas and 17th Street but construction has come to a grinding halt.

Forgot to also add that Mangos is finally moving forward with renovations. Thank goodness because it was pretty disgusting inside. They hadn't renovated since they let people smoke inside. New owners, same name.

I don't think it is a Bokampers. He was also opening something in the old Oasis space where A1A splits between Las Olas and 17th Street but construction has come to a grinding halt.

Forgot to also add that Mangos is finally moving forward with renovations. Thank goodness because it was pretty disgusting inside. They hadn't renovated since they let people smoke inside. New owners, same name.

The Oasis spot is a different name. Bo's on the beach or something.

I forgot mangos even existed. May give them another shot after the reno.

The Oasis spot is a different name. Bo's on the beach or something.

I forgot mangos even existed. May give them another shot after the reno.

Yes, Kim Bokamper was opening something in the old Oasis spot but all construction has stopped and the Bo's signs are no longer there.

Guess because it's a few feet of water which during dry season is a puddle I don't think of it as being on the water!!

Guess because it's a few feet of water which during dry season is a puddle I don't think of it as being on the water!!

It's not just a few feet of water. All the locations have large outdoor bars/decks overlooking water with fountains, etc. Even if its just a tiny lake, it's their thing. Look at the Plantation location, it's basically a fountain but that's what they always do. And coming back to the original reason for this discussion, that is why I doubt the Las Olas location will be a Bokampers. It's entirely possible, but considering their restaurants in every location allocate half their space to a huge outdoor bar/deck on water, it seems the spot on Los Olas is unlikely as it doesn't fit their existing business model.

iH7dOEQetP.jpg

The one on Las Olas will have a rooftop so it will have a sort of gimmick.

It very well could be a Bokampers. It just doesn't add up based on existing locations. Even the beach location not on water got a different name... Bo's. We will see what they end up calling it.