Fitbit Fanatic on Allure

One of the common comments I see about the Oasis class ships is the amount of walking necessary. As I sit at the airport waiting for my flight out of Fort Lauderdale this morning, I thought I'd type up my Fitbit's findings.

I used a Fitbit Charge HR, that I wore around the clock, except when in the shower which is when I charged it. I took it off when taking pictures on formal night, but had it back on immediately afterwards. We did make an effort to take the stairs most of the time which is why my number of floors climbed is so high. We were on Deck 10, so five floors down from the Solarium and five floors up from the Royal Promenade.

For frame of reference, I'm in the Navy but currently at a desk job. During day-to-day life, I tend to average about 7500 steps per day if I don't go to the gym, and about 10,000 if I do go get some cardio on. I'll add some comments about the heart rate tracking at the end, but I'm a 27 year old woman, 5'6", and 140ish pounds (I'm scared to weigh myself right now!).

On to the data:

Sunday- 13,117 steps, 10 flights of stairs

Monday- 16,411 steps, 23 flights of stairs

Tuesday- 8,339 steps, 35 flights of stairs

Wednesday- 10,743 steps, 38 flights of stairs

Thursday- 8,285 steps, 27 flights of stairs

Friday- 12,628 steps, 36 flights of stairs

Saturday- 8,970 steps, 32 flights of stairs

On embarkation day, I hadn't yet realized that simply taking the stairs was often quicker than waiting on an elevator. Monday was in Nassau, where we walked around town for a few hours, which gave me the highest step count. Friday was the Quest, where I was our team captain (and we won!). Having never done it before, I didn't realize that this meant I would be on my feet running back and forth, jumping up and down for an hour, which accounted for about a quarter of my steps. I averaged 11,213 steps and 28 flights of stairs per day.

My resting heart rate is typically in the mid-fifties. By the time I walked off today, it had climbed to 68. I believe this is largely due to the amount of alcohol and lack of water throughout the week, so stay hydrated! As I settle back in at home, I'm expecting it to return to normal.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know!

I wear a fit bit too. [emoji106]🏻

On my Liberty cruise in March one day I climbed 75 flights of steps. Actually 72 and then I went to bed and looked at my stats and decided I needed to go back out and do another 3 flights so I could get a badge. [emoji6] We stayed on deck 6 and only took the elevators after coming back from port days when we were exhausted from the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OKAY

Gotta dust off the fitbit.

Now when we sail, the only time we do elevators is on formal night, cause of my heels, and on a rare occasion when I had a drink too late and thought the stairs would be a challenge (cheap date).

I am now curious on what I can do.

Thanks

Safe travels.

On to the data:

Sunday- 13,117 steps, 10 flights of stairs

Monday- 16,411 steps, 23 flights of stairs

Tuesday- 8,339 steps, 35 flights of stairs

Wednesday- 10,743 steps, 38 flights of stairs

Thursday- 8,285 steps, 27 flights of stairs

Friday- 12,628 steps, 36 flights of stairs

Saturday- 8,970 steps, 32 flights of stairs

Great, this is excellent. These stats will make you feel that much better after all that fun/eating : -) I know it will for me. I can't wait to see I how a do on Freedom of the Seas (Fitbit Blaze, last week average: 57,205 -slow/bad week).

Edited by Rafa

Very interesting to see. I just went out and bought a Microsoft Band 2 yesterday (Pokemon Go was finally released, I feel like such a nerd but it's getting me walking a lot), was going to get the Fitbit Charge HR but the Band 2 was on sale for the same price and I like it's display better.

I wasn't even thinking about whether or not I'd wear it on our cruise in August, but now I think I will. Would definitely be interesting to see how much we walk, both on the ship and around ports.

I wear a Fitbit one.

I found I was getting ridiculous numbers for stairs. Then I realized it was measuring the swells of the ocean as a flight of stairs. I think it records a 10 foot rise as a flight of stairs (or something like that) and it was picking up ship motion as stairs.

I always take the stairs on a cruise, but one day it had recorded something ridiculous like 160 flights of stairs and I knew there was something wrong.

For those like me who have an office job, I recommend the stand up! ap. I have my app set to *ding* every 20 minutes as a reminder that I need to get up and move around. Really helps me make that 10,000 target each day.

I am a 63 yo woman and have lost 140 pounds over the last two years (includes 22 days at sea) by using the My Fitness Pal app and wearing my Fitbit Zip! (I hate wearing anything on my wrist, so I clip the Zip to my bra.) I love a very forward or aft cabin on the Oasis Class ships so I can get my steps. Onboard my DH and I walk almost every night at least 2 miles on the track (Oasis Class has the best running tracks, IMHO) and we hit the Fitness Center every morning after breakfast for steps on the treadmill on our sea days. In port we usually get in enough steps to account for that and more. I usually do have a gain on the cruise anyway, but since I am sodium sensitive I figure that is just water retention as I tend to lose it again within a week or so of getting home.

My next cruise is the 13 night TA cruise on the Harmony. I am looking forward to the 11 days at sea and 4 full days in Barcelona prior to the cruise and two port days for a lot of good steps on land. Despite bad knees, which do prevent me from taking a lot of stairs, I have no problems getting in my steps on vacation. 10,000 steps is a low day at sea for me.:D