Is NCL really that bad?

andnosyd

I haven't been on NCL since 2005 and I didn't really enjoy their product back then (NCL Spirit), but figured I'd give them another shot. We have a 14 day Panama Canal trip with them in November. Since 2005 we've been on Disney, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and Silversea (expedition, so not a fair comparison). I booked this trip on NCL because the suite was really a lot less expensive than any of the other lines, they seem like they have a decent kids program, and I wanted to try out the Haven (on the Jewel).

However, I see a lot of cutbacks mentioned and obviously the no beverage onboard policy. Since it's been 11 years since we've been on them, I was hoping the product has improved, but now I'm second guessing this trip. Is it a much inferior product to Celebrity (our mass market favorite)? I could cancel and switch to Celebrity, but for a comparable suite, Celebrity is about $5,000 more, which I don't think that additional cost would be worth it. But I also don't want to spend so much money on a Haven Owners suite and regret the trip.

Can anyone offer insights or comparisons or should I cancel and stick with what I know (Celebrity for thousands more)?

I have been thru the Canal five times on NCL - on POA, Star, Pearl and twice on the Jewel; and I am still actively cruising on NCL. I loved each of the canal trips and I think you will as well. Not sure what type of dining package you get with the Haven but be sure to dine in each of the specialty restaurants - they are great. If a Ultimate Dining Package is not included be sure to buy it - well worth the money.

I think NCL is making a mistake with their short notice policy changes - and creating a lot of bad press unnecessary - but they still have a very good product. In the interest of full disclosure; tap water is fine with me, I usually buy a soda package, I do not care what they have - Coke or Pepsi - and I never use room service but would be glad to pay for it if I wanted something.

We just did the PC reposition cruise on the Pearl in April, and it was fantastic! There were maybe a handful of kids (mostly younger) on board because it was such a long cruise. The entertainment was varied and very well curated. Many of the acts were flown in for one or two shows only, so there no repeats on a 16 day cruise. The NCL singers and dancers only performed a handful of times, so that was a bonus (not that they aren't very talented, but it's nice to see a variety of acts). The food was also great, and the service was very attentive (probably because we were all together for so long).

Try out NCL for a change of pace.

NO, it's not that bad, and every time i price out RCI/NCL/Celebrity, NCL always comes out to be the best value. I don't like Carnival so we don't sail them, but even if I was on a Carnival cruise, I would have a blast and it wouldn't be THAT BAD because it's VACATION and I'm not WORKING!!!

Yes, not bringing your own bottled water onboard sucks, but I'll deal with that for a UBP perk! Even with the 18% gratuity, it's a great deal. And as for the water, get "Brita 23.7 Ounce Hard Sided Water Bottle with 1 Filter, BPA Free" from Amazon for under 12 and help the environment by not using and throwing away the plastic bottles!

No cutbacks.???? Seriously ?????

You're saying that with a straight face???

Yes. Totally serious. 100%.

Keeping a product current requires changes, changes are always trade-offs. So long as the benefit outweighs the cost, it's not a 'cutback', it's an enhancement.

The product of all the major cruise lines has gotten spectacularly better of the last few years.

Anyone who complains about NCL's non-existent cutbacks should restrict their cruising to container ships. That product hasn't changed in years, so no cutbacks, and you can bring on board all the water you want.

Edited by boatseller

Yes. Totally serious. 100%.

Keeping a product current requires changes, changes are always trade-offs. So long as the benefit outweighs the cost, it's not a 'cutback', it's an enhancement.

The product of all the major cruise lines has gotten spectacularly better of the last few years.

Anyone who complains about NCL's non-existent cutbacks should restrict their cruising to container ships. That product hasn't changed in years, so no cutbacks, and you can bring on board all the water you want.

• Nickelodeon gone
  • Geoffrey Zakarian gone
  • Cake Boss gone
  • 18% gratuity on specialty dining
  • DSC raised twice
  • drink prices raised
  • 18% gratuity on drinks
  • 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc)
  • Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu
  • Hippo Slide at GSC gone
  • Fireworks gone
  • UDP is now SDP
  • UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers
  • Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast"
  • Blue Man Group gone
  • Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP
  • No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants
  • Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience"
  • No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package
  • Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included.
  • Cancellation policy got much worse.
  • SDP price increased.
  • Fewer days for SDP on promos.
  • Available wines have gotten worse. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64
  • Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge.
  • Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased.
  • Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree.
  • Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food.
  • AARP discount gone.
  • Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561
  • Water, soda and juices can not be brought on board either as carry-on or checked luggage https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

Go ahead and start listing the "spectacularly better" improvements over the last couple years.

Edited by Sizzlechest

I haven't been on NCL since 2005 and I didn't really enjoy their product back then (NCL Spirit), but figured I'd give them another shot. We have a 14 day Panama Canal trip with them in November. Since 2005 we've been on Disney, Celebrity, HAL, Princess, and Silversea (expedition, so not a fair comparison). I booked this trip on NCL because the suite was really a lot less expensive than any of the other lines, they seem like they have a decent kids program, and I wanted to try out the Haven (on the Jewel).

However, I see a lot of cutbacks mentioned and obviously the no beverage onboard policy. Since it's been 11 years since we've been on them, I was hoping the product has improved, but now I'm second guessing this trip. Is it a much inferior product to Celebrity (our mass market favorite)? I could cancel and switch to Celebrity, but for a comparable suite, Celebrity is about $5,000 more, which I don't think that additional cost would be worth it. But I also don't want to spend so much money on a Haven Owners suite and regret the trip.

Can anyone offer insights or comparisons or should I cancel and stick with what I know (Celebrity for thousands more)?

Cancel, Cancel now and don't look back its freaking HORRIBLE!!!!!!!:roll eyes:

You do realize for every person who post a bad review their are 1000's who had a great time and don't post ANY reviews

Edited by Laszlo

OP -- I'm glad you're looking forward to your trip. Despite my complaints about the change in the beverage package, we're really looking forward to travelling on the Gem in September. We're not in the Haven, but do have a suite and it seems like the Jewel-class ships are the favorite of many people.

There is ALWAYS going to be negativity in on-line forums about ... well, pretty much anything. Unfortunately, the only way to deal with it when you're trying to get information is to grit your teeth and read through it, and decide how much the negative things will impact your experience.

Myself, I find the negative posts to be a lot more informative than those by people who just come on and rave about how wonderful everything is. What I find to be lacking are honest and balanced reviews, that recognize and praise things that are good but don't diminish things that need to be improved.

Enjoy your family trip!

Here we go again!

• Nickelodeon gone - Maybe the kids didn't really care about this.
  • Geoffrey Zakarian gone - It's much better without him. Enhancement.
  • Cake Boss gone - Baking a cake isn't too difficult.
  • 18% gratuity on specialty dining - You don't want to tip? Tisk, tisk.
  • DSC raised twice - They have to compete for crew too. I'm happy to pay a premium DSC for premium crew. Enhancement.
  • drink prices raised - UBP Never Ends. Enhancement.
  • 18% gratuity on drinks - You don't want to tip? Tisk, tisk.
  • 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc) - You don't want to tip? Tisk, tisk.
  • Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu - When it was upcharge, no one was ever there. Now is busy. Enhancement.
  • Hippo Slide at GSC gone - The one at Jungle Island lasted only one season too.
  • Fireworks gone - You have no idea about this. Enhancement.
  • UDP is now SDP - So what?
  • UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers - And RCI requires everyone have it. Enhancement.
  • Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast" - Why should I, who never order Room Service, have to subsidize it? Enhancement.
  • Blue Man Group gone - What's wrong with Priscilla, Queen of the Desert? Enhancement.
  • Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP - You don't want to tip? Tisk, tisk.
  • No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants - Actually, kids can eat free in the specialty venues.
  • Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience" - And a moving ship burns fuel. Can't have it both ways.
  • No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package - It's called promotional pricing.
  • Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included. - I'm not going to have a fit over a $10 meal.
  • Cancellation policy got much worse. - Then don't book. Prices may drop for me. Enhancement.
  • SDP price increased. - And the SCP Promo never ends. Enhancement.
  • Fewer days for SDP on promos. - I had trouble using 4. Draw.
  • Available wines have gotten worse. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64
  • Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge. - Call me crazy, I don't like lobster.
  • Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased. - I'm not going to lose it over $15. And the food was really good. Enhancement.
  • Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree.
  • Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food. - This I will give you. Flamingo is my fav place on Getaway. Cut.
  • AARP discount gone. - No Comment.
  • Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561 - I suppose you never notice the best restaurants have rather small menus. - Enhancement.
  • Water, soda and juices can not be brought on board either as carry-on or checked luggage https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy - Good. I expect to get my luggage faster. Enhancement.

Go ahead and start listing the "spectacularly better" improvements over the last couple years.

So, that's 13 Enhancements, 1 Cut, 1 Draw, and a bunch of silly irrelevancy. I am so looking forward to my next cruise!

And I didn't even mention:

Water slides

Kids water park

Full Room Service Menu

Flexible dining with too many choices

Lots of specialty bars with tasty specialty drinks

The Ropes Course

Mini Golf

24 Hour Food Service (on Escape at least)

More balcony staterooms

Studio Staterooms with the Studio Lounge

Considers a price increase an enhancement. Considers no fireworks an enhancement. LOL!

Well, at least you concede to 11 Enhancements. Awesome! :)

As for the fireworks, it was kind of annoying. The party at Spice H2O, stopped. The crew had to move people out of the fall out zone. The ship had to change direction (wind). The firework show was only a few minutes.

It was a failed experiment. You should applaud them for even trying yet they get grief, good heavens!

If fireworks at sea are a big deal, I have one word, Disney.

• Nickelodeon gone *I don't have kids, so this doesn't really impact me - HOWEVER, when I was a kid, I just would have been SO excited to be taken on any cruise! And to me, there's nothing wrong with switching it up - My opinion only, I can see some parents being disappointed, but this doesn't impact me directly - I DO like the "Guppies Nursery (Drop off, fee based. Norwegian Escape) - If I was a parent, I would definitely love to be able to drop off my infant for a little while, even for a fee!

• Geoffrey Zakarian gone I never ate at any of his specialty dining restaurants, and I hardly ever saw them full. So not impacted by this

• Cake Boss gone The stuff I had on the Getaway of his was not very good. In fact, after I ate it, I felt like it wasn't worth the price at all. Maybe Buddy felt like it didn't hold up to his brand, which I would agree with. He opened up a shop in my town, so I want to go visit there and see how it compares, but it definitely wasn't spectacular, to ME, on the Getaway.

• 18% gratuity on specialty dining I feel like this is standard across the cruise industry now. I dislike it also and consider it a huge disappointment, esp when I paid the DSC. What I dislike most about it is that it's automatic, and if you get terrible service, you can't adjust the tip. But it's just kind of something I deal with for good food. I haven't had terrible service yet, so I am ok with paying it for now.

• DSC raised twice This was ridiculous when they did that. I don't mind a raise in DSC, as prices of things DO go up, but to do it TWICE in such a short amount of time was not cool. But I tend to look at overall cruise price, and NCL always comes out the best value for me.

• drink prices raised This is probably to compensate for a mixture of rising prices and the UBP offered as a perk

• 18% gratuity on drinks I feel like this is fair.

• 18% gratuity on food/coffee purchases ( Java Cafe/Carlo's/gelato etc) This is a dumb charge, but I gotta have my coffee and I felt like the prices in the Cafe were SO reasonable, especially compared to Starbucks and I felt like they were the same quality as Starbucks and cheaper.

• Asian Noodle restaurant complimentary but reduced menu I *loved* this venue when I went last year, the first year it was offered for free, and so did my husband - the reduced menu is a bummer, but expected as it was ALWAYS so busy. As someone who has worked in a restaurant kitchen before, a reduced menu was probably needed to keep up with orders

• Hippo Slide at GSC gone *I didn't even know about this, haven't been to GSC and so can't really comment on that.

• Fireworks gone The fireworks were cool, but it was a HUGE safety hazard and such a huge cost, I can see why they did away with it.

• UDP is now SDP This one is a bummer. But I for once can't eat at a specialty restaurant every night of the cruise otherwise I'd explode, so i like the option to just get 3-4 nights

• UBP used to be for everyone in room, but now it's just first two passengers Doesn't really impact me as it's just me and my husband who sail together. But I assume this is to help fill rooms and not have 4 adults in a inside stateroom all having free UBP, and it makes sense that they would restrict it.

• Room service $7.95 except for a much smaller limited "continental breakfast" I don't get room service so doesn't impact me. Carnival had a pretty small complimentary room service menu, I think.

• Blue Man Group gone Like all contracts, they run out, and it's good to mix up shows and bring in new stuff.

• Now pay taxes on "free" UBP/SDP This is fair to me

• No more kids pricing in specialty restaurants I don't have kids, so doesn't impact me.

• Port times shortened on a number of itineraries "for your convenience" I haven't really encountered any problems with this so far, I've only been doing Caribbean Itineraries though.

• No more free Cirque or Illusionarium on first night with dining package This one is a bummer, but promotions change, thats life.

• Margaritaville on Escape is now a la carte. Used to be included. This one is a big bummer, I wish they would have made it a flat fee to eat, like Johnny Rockets on Allure.

• Cancellation policy got much worse. I've never had to cancel and I typically book after final payment anyhow, so doesn't impact me

• SDP price increased.It's still a really great value, compared to some other cruiseline dining packages.

• Fewer days for SDP on promos. Yeah, this one sucks, I liked getting the 4 days, but 3 is still better than 0

• Available wines have gotten worse. THIS I totally understand. Wine is SO much more expensive than liquor so I am not surprised by this

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49635954&postcount=64

• Certain menu items (like Seafood Extravaganza at Ocean Blue) not covered by SDP upcharge. Can't comment on this, never went and I never go for upcharge items.

• Bayamo upcharge for SDP increased. Haven't been, don't plan on going.

• Dining packages no longer have fixed $10 price for second entree at Cagney's and Le Bistro. Now charged full a la carte price for entree. Never got a second entree, so I can't comment on this one much, but I would imagine they weren't making any money on the 10.00 for a second entree.

• Uptown/Flamingo Grill being replace with Margaritaville. Free dining place replace for fee-based one with similar food. They are a business, so doesn't surprise me they would do this. Sucks, but isn't a deal breaker for me.

• AARP discount gone. Doesn't impact me, but that sucks for those who use it

• Haven breakfast and lunch menu items scaled back. Doesn't impact me, I don't sail in the Haven

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356561

• Water, soda and juices can not be brought on board either as carry-on or checked luggage https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy

I usually never carry anything like that on, I bring a water bottle. Most lines have this restriction anyhow.

In the interest of conversation, *polite conversation, please don't rip me to shreds* in red is MY PERSONAL OPINION on each bullet point - and I think the wise thing to note is that everyone is different, some of those bullet points you wrote out may not be "Cut backs" to everyone, because everyone is different and has different tastes

I just look for the best bottom line value on the things I like, and while RCI is my favorite cruiseline, it's hard to justify their prices when NCL offers a very good cruise, for US anyhow

Edited by aubreyc1988

In the interest of conversation, *polite conversation, please don't rip me to shreds* in red is MY PERSONAL OPINION on each bullet point - and I think the wise thing to note is that everyone is different, some of those bullet points you wrote out may not be "Cut backs" to everyone, because everyone is different and has different tastes

I just look for the best bottom line value on the things I like, and while RCI is my favorite cruiseline, it's hard to justify their prices when NCL offers a very good cruise, for US anyhow

Saying "it doesn't affect me" is all well and good, but a cutback is a cutback. You can call it a "change" if one thing was replaced for something at least equal in value. You don't care for fireworks? Sure, I can believe you're a part of that minority. (I don't choose to believe that minority is so over-represented on Cruise Critic, but let's make an exception for you.) What did NCL put in its place? Nothing. It's been a steady slide in service and increase in fees.