New policy about having to select firm embarkation time

petesweet

We have parked at the Charleston port more than 2 dozen times. The line to park is to PAY for the parking. They take credit cards, cash and probably checks. There are usually only three lanes to pay. Sgt. Iris Brown- Charleston police- directs you into your lane. Everyone is just directed as they get to Iris no one gets ahead because they are Platinum, Diamond or FTTF. She has no way of knowing that, no separate line for these passengers. After you park you drop your luggage off and drive around into the garage.

After you park you get on a bus or big van and are driven to the terminal- takes maybe 5 minutes.

I was told you can park when you get there but.......You will not be allowed in the port building until the time on your boarding pass so getting there earlier won't get you inside earlier than your time.

After the cruise let us know what you think of this way of boarding! It will be interesting to read what everyone thinks about it!

I think I will take the transfers... But how can we choose the time it says :

Pre Cruise Transfer From Ft Lauderdale Airport

Time: 08:00 AM - 02:00 PM

Can I choose to take it at 9:00? How does it work?

Thanks

I haven't taken a Carnival transfer yet but have taken many others so I will attempt to answer your questions. The times above means that you can take the transfer starting at 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon. So since your flight comes in at 6 am it means that you have to wait 2 hours before being able to use the transfer. I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the shuttle at 9 unless the bus was full but I suggest to contract Carnival and ask how they handle the earlier flights. Here is the section of the Q&A that you want to be familiar with ....

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard. Please keep in mind that transfers and Faster to the Fun may not be available for all sailings. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

So go ahead and select the time that's available on line. I would suggest you call to book your transfers and let them know you have xxxx time for check in and see if they can change it so you won't have any hassles when you get there even though it says you can come at your leisure.

I too think one of the purposes of these boards is to ask questions for help or to get advise. I hope this helps and I also agree with "Firemanbobswife" don't get discouraged.

I think I will take the transfers... But how can we choose the time it says :

Pre Cruise Transfer From Ft Lauderdale Airport

Time: 08:00 AM - 02:00 PM

Can I choose to take it at 9:00? How does it work?

Thanks

The shuttles run continuously between those times. You will get on the first available bus.

I haven't taken a Carnival transfer yet but have taken many others so I will attempt to answer your questions. The times above means that you can take the transfer starting at 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon. So since your flight comes in at 6 am it means that you have to wait 2 hours before being able to use the transfer. I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the shuttle at 9 unless the bus was full but I suggest to contract Carnival and ask how they handle the earlier flights. Here is the section of the Q&A that you want to be familiar with ....

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard. Please keep in mind that transfers and Faster to the Fun may not be available for all sailings. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

So go ahead and select the time that's available on line. I would suggest you call to book your transfers and let them know you have xxxx time for check in and see if they can change it so you won't have any hassles when you get there even though it says you can come at your leisure.

I too think one of the purposes of these boards is to ask questions for help or to get advise. I hope this helps and I also agree with "Firemanbobswife" don't get discouraged.

Thank you so much, very appreciated

OMG!!! This is the worst thing can happen to us... I am always one of the first person to be in line... and have boarding #1 or maybe 2... We just booked our next cruise in october... and we will be gold... with 74 pts... so only one left to be platinium and the earlier time is 12h30-1h00 slot... THIS IS TOO LATE... especially because our flight is arriving at 6h00 in the morning... :(:(:(

You certainly have my sympathy! I'm like you.

I believe this will end up being a good thing, but I was just caught blindsided because neither Carnival nor my travel agent mentioned this change. I caught it just be accident. The information is there, but since it is new, I felt it should be highlighted somehow.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

This is a fantastic tour! We had two groups of 16 each, left 1/2 hour apart. You MUST wear closed toe shoes- no flip flops and I think they didn't want skirts as you climb stairs. We signed up after we were on the ship- didn't know about it til then. The tour ends on the bridge with the captain!

I have not had to do staggered check in yet. And besides we are platinum, but I believe that you still have to pick a time but can show up whenever you want. If you pick a late time, it will free up early time slots for folks that are not platinum, diamond, of fttf. And you can go when you want. Just a thought.

I would be very cautious about picking a later time even though you know that you will arrive earlier with the idea of freeing up a spot for someone else. The security people in some ports do not work for Carnival and sometimes are not that informed. On a June cruise on the Sensation, we were Plats and our friends had FTTF. We had selected 10:00 and they had chosen 10:30. We arrived together in a taxi at 10:00 and they let us right in, but the security guard would not let our friends in until 10:30. They tried to explain, but the guard would have none of it. When we asked her to check with a superior she kindly told them to just wait their turn.

It was no problem, they got in before boarding and when they mentioned it to the Carnival workers, they even let them board with us.

Another possible consequence of this is that if a large number of people lie about when they will come and they all get their early, the check-in process will be a mess. I think that the best policy would be to tell them when you actually plan to arrive and not sabotage the system. It really seems to be working better that the previous chaos.

i did my online check in for my next 2 cruises and there was no place to pick a check in time. both are in ports with staggered check in. i have gone back over the check in and have found no where to pick time. i am gold but on my next cruise i will be platinum. my cruise documents say priority but no time for check in. i can't print out my boarding pass yet because i haven't made the final payment yet. i know platinum can go to port anytime they want but aren't they suppose to still pick a time for check in. the last 2 times i sailed on the glory out of miami i had to pick a check in time and it was done during online check in. anyone else have any issues picking a time or am i doing something wrong?

-jan 22 2017 on vista out of miami

-april 9 2017 on pride out of baltimore

i did my online check in for my next 2 cruises and there was no place to pick a check in time. both are in ports with staggered check in. i have gone back over the check in and have found no where to pick time. i am gold but on my next cruise i will be platinum. my cruise documents say priority but no time for check in. i can't print out my boarding pass yet because i haven't made the final payment yet. i know platinum can go to port anytime they want but aren't they suppose to still pick a time for check in. the last 2 times i sailed on the glory out of miami i had to pick a check in time and it was done during online check in. anyone else have any issues picking a time or am i doing something wrong?

-jan 22 2017 on vista out of miami

-april 9 2017 on pride out of baltimore

I believe they are too far out at this point. It will be right there under Manage My Cruise in the cruise details section when it's available.

• 2 weeks later...
This new policy, currently only in use at certain ports of embarkation ONLY impacts check in time. Has nothing to do with arrivals. boarding or anything else. And does not apply if you are Platinum, Diamond, FTTF or arriving on a Carnival transfer.
Last year we cruised and had FTTF and it worked out great, zipping us to the front of a long line at the terminal due to a fire alarm on the cruise that just came in.

I read through this entire thread but I am still a bit confused, so maybe someone can clarify.

1. With the staggered check-in, how does FTTF help me (during boarding) if I still have to select a time?

2. According to the Carnival website, if I am arriving through the Miami Airport, apparently I can check in there. Does this mean I avoid the staggered check-in at the terminal? And can I enter the terminal at any time if I am already checked in from the airport? And does FTTF do anything then?

3. Also, if you purchase a transfer (i.e. transportation) from the airport through Carnival, it also appears to provide check-in at your leisure...although I am confused about this, as I would think one would have already checked in at the airport.

4. I have seen references to checking in on-line, but that appears to be different than checking in at the terminal...

Guests who have already completed their Online Check-In must re-visit us at http://www.carnival.com/Onlinecheckin to select their check-in window. If you do not select a window, one will be automaticallyassigned to you the morning of your cruise. You will be notified via email and will have the option to print or save your boarding pass to your mobile device. A boarding pass is required to gain access to the terminal.

So what's the point of checking in on line? Just to pick your time to check in at the terminal?

This all seems very confusing...much more complicated that our last cruise where we showed up and were whisked to the front of the line because of FTTF.

Last year we cruised and had FTTF and it worked out great, zipping us to the front of a long line at the terminal due to a fire alarm on the cruise that just came in.

I read through this entire thread but I am still a bit confused, so maybe someone can clarify.

1. With the staggered check-in, how does FTTF help me (during boarding) if I still have to select a time?

2. According to the Carnival website, if I am arriving through the Miami Airport, apparently I can check in there. Does this mean I avoid the staggered check-in at the terminal? And can I enter the terminal at any time if I am already checked in from the airport? And does FTTF do anything then?

3. Also, if you purchase a transfer (i.e. transportation) from the airport through Carnival, it also appears to provide check-in at your leisure...although I am confused about this, as I would think one would have already checked in at the airport.

4. I have seen references to checking in on-line, but that appears to be different than checking in at the terminal...

Guests who have already completed their Online Check-In must re-visit us at http://www.carnival.com/Onlinecheckin to select their check-in window. If you do not select a window, one will be automaticallyassigned to you the morning of your cruise. You will be notified via email and will have the option to print or save your boarding pass to your mobile device. A boarding pass is required to gain access to the terminal.

So what's the point of checking in on line? Just to pick your time to check in at the terminal?

This all seems very confusing...much more complicated that our last cruise where we showed up and were whisked to the front of the line because of FTTF.

These are exactly the questions I have. I will be flying into miami a few days prior and will be renting a car. The morning of my cruise, I'm returning the car to the airport. I'll then be taking an uber/taxi to the port. I have FTTF as well as 10am -10:30am check in.

I don't think it's worth my time to check in at the airport because it's my understanding the rental cars are not in the same building as checkin? According to what it says on the boarding pass I printed, there is YET another line for airport checkins? You already have your S&S card, is that the only step you bypass by doing airport checkin?

Let's pretend I want to be the first person on the ship (behind plat/diamond) what time should I arrive to the port? 10?

I've been on a few cruises before, but I always drive, and checkin wasn't staggered. Thanks in advance!!

Galveston was one of the first ports to put this in place. My wife and I have cruised three times since, are both platinum and elected to go on one of the trips a week prior to sail date. Our friends were already booked and their earliest time slot was 11:30 or so.

Once we entered our past guest number we had 10:30 as a choice. I'm now wondering if all that are diamond and platinum have this option regardless of time of booking or registration.

Edited by BallFour4

Thanks to all who posted useful data! I have an Alaska cruise out of Seattle leaving 9/06 with no check in time selected but info herein indicates Seattle is not a staggered port yet. I have a New Orleans departure 4/9/17 where I did select a time. Could not understand the difference till now. Many thanks.

FYI, Princess uses a similar system but assigns time based upon your deck. You get an email a couple weeks before boarding telling you when to be there - without regard to your travel plans. Carnival's method is a lot better - never thought I would say that.

Galveston was one of the first ports to put this in place. My wife and I have cruised three times since, are both platinum and elected to go on one of the trips a week prior to sail date. Our friends were already booked and their earliest time slot was 11:30 or so.

Once we entered our past guest number we had 10:30 as a choice. I'm now wondering if all that are diamond and platinum have this option regardless of time of booking or registration.

We are platinum and just did our on line for Oct cruise. There was a list of time slots for us to pick.

Yep, pretty stupid program, I'd give it a few months of people getting shut out, calling carnival to complain before it gets back to the way it was before...

I think it has been out almost, if not already, a year now. I don't think that it is going away.

FYI for those that are asking about their Boarding Pass for a port that does NOT have staggered check-in yet. Your Boarding Pass will say "Embarkation 12:30pm - 3:30pm".

This is not your check in time, it is the time slot that the ship plans on embarking passengers before it leaves port.

If you are leaving from a staggered check-in port, once chosen, there will be a "Check-In" time on your Boarding Pass, along with the "Embarkation" times.

Hope this helps.

Leaving out of Port Everglades October 1st Never got a email as to pick boarding time. But when I printed our boarding pass I guess they assigned us a time. It has 1:00 to 1:30 pm. So we should show up around 12:30 maybe. :)

Thanks

We are Diamond so can get on whenever we want even thought we will have a time on our boarding pass but, as I have read here you are not allowed into the port building until your 'time'. You have to wait until then outside. But I remember some times when the line to check in was so long, the line was outside along the street!

Leaving out of Port Everglades October 1st Never got a email as to pick boarding time. But when I printed our boarding pass I guess they assigned us a time. It has 1:00 to 1:30 pm. So we should show up around 12:30 maybe. :)

Thanks

Unless you are Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, or do a Carnival transfer from the airport, you will not be allowed in the building at all until 1:00PM so plan accordingly.

We are Diamond so can get on whenever we want even thought we will have a time on our boarding pass but, as I have read here you are not allowed into the port building until your 'time'. You have to wait until then outside. But I remember some times when the line to check in was so long, the line was outside along the street!

I believe that was a main reason why many of these ports went to a staggered checkin....In many cases you have the majority of the herd showing up prior to 10:30 and lines were massive and people were getting ticked off they were waiting 2-3 hrs in the heat and the population overwhelmed some of these terminals. Then when these people did get onboard, if they weren't a priority class, you had luggage strewn all over the Lido deck because rooms aren't typically ready until 1 or 1:30....Staggered checkin makes everything easier. There is the small immature mindset of the person who gets a 1-2pm checkin whining "I want to be on the boat first, its not fair someone else gets on before me", but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. I wish all ports went to staggered checkin

Edited by First and Ten

Bonnie, virtually nothing has changed for you and the others that are diamond and platinum. Let me take a few sentences and explain.

If you are cruising from a port that has adopted the staggered check-in policy you will see a drop down menu to select a check-in time slot. For us it doesn't matter what time you pick, just select one.

You can arrive at the terminal any time you want, just as before. When you arrive, check your luggage and don't stand in the long line for regular check-in. Just as before, find the priority entrance and go inside. There is no restriction as to when you can/cannot go in regardless of the time on your boarding documents.

Once you clear security then go and check-in for your cruise. As in the past, you will be the first set of passengers to board after the wedding parties. Got it? Hope so.

The difference people get hung up on is assuming check-in time and general boarding are the same. Those who aren't diamond, platinum or Faster To The Fun are assigned a boarding group number. They are called by that number to get aboard the ship after the three groups described above are called.

Let's review; your time to arrive, check-in and board the ship hasn't changed. You have cruised a bunch with the host, hopefully they will not change the respect held for your repeat business.

My wife and I aren't far from diamond. I started on Carnival in 1976 for a high school graduation trip on the Mardi Gras. What a fun time!

Did this help? Please don't be offended by the bold text, it's the past educator in me.

Edited by BallFour4