New policy about having to select firm embarkation time

petesweet

OK..We will be leaving out of San Juan in Sept. Have they started this there? We would like to do what we did last year which was check in at like 10:30 get our SS cards then head into town for the day we never boarded the ship until after 7pm. Will this mess that up? I will be fine with it if we can drop of the luggage to a porter and then head to town and come back to check in, but don't know if that is a option?

Scott

OK..We will be leaving out of San Juan in Sept. Have they started this there?

Where do you select your check in/boarding time? We are a large group arriving very early in FL. I want to make sure we all have the same check in or boarding time.

As of today (July 13) staggered check in is only for Baltimore, Charleston, Galveston, Honolulu, Miami, New Orleans and Norfolk and will be added for Barcelona at the end of the month. If you are sailing Vista from Miami you need to stay tuned as staggered check in will not become available to book until about three months prior to the first cruise.

If you are sailing from a port that has staggered check in, you select your check in window form your booking on the Carnival site.

I believe you totally misread Badfinger's post which was a response to your suggestion that people pick an early time even if they knew they wouldn't arrive then.

If you know you won't be there at 11 am, why would you select that time, taking if away from someone else? The slot times are limited, you know.

That's my concern with this - people will take an early slot even though they know they won't be there and then show up two hours later (so they can walk right on).

Select the time you believe you'll arrive. Simple enough, really. Of course things might happen and you might be delayed, but don't pick an early time just because you can.

That is EXACTLY my concern!

A search on this subject didn't help me find anything.

This month Carnival's new policy (already in effect on some ships) about requiring us to select our embarkation time goes into effect on the Ecstasy. No problem for us - we have already signed up for our preferred (earliest) time to board; however, the policy as stated is very strict. I wonder if anyone has experienced any problems.

(Interesting that our travel agent did not alert us to this - I discovered it quite by accident.)

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

Getting back to OP, embarkation at Charleston is a different beast. People confuse "check-in time" with "boarding time" - BUT - at Charleston, they are much, MUCH closer to being the same thing. At this time, they can't even BEGIN the check in process until they are READY to start boarding.

So, for this port in particular - picking a time earlier than you KNOW you need will really, REALLY fowl things up. Tomorrow is the Charleston 2nd embarkation with the staggered check-in times. I'm curious to see what the responses are from the first few cruises.

It is confusing. I have both... a check in time and also FTTF for my next cruise.

Should no longer be confusing ?

Already in this thread it has been posted that if you purchased FTTF, you can check-in whatever time you wish regardless of the time you selected or the time Carnival assigned to you if you failed to select your own time.

As of today (July 13) staggered check in is only for Baltimore, Charleston, Galveston, Honolulu, Miami, New Orleans and Norfolk and will be added for Barcelona at the end of the month. If you are sailing Vista from Miami you need to stay tuned as staggered check in will not become available to book until about three months prior to the first cruise.

If you are sailing from a port that has staggered check in, you select your check in window form your booking on the Carnival site.

Thank you this is helpful. I dont think our port (everglades) has this yet.

Thank you this is helpful. I dont think our port (everglades) has this yet.

You are most welcome. Yes, only the ports I listed currently have it at this time. If they add it for your port and will impact your sailing, you or your travel agent should receive an email with a PDF explaining what to do.

Leaving on Valor from Port Canaveral on Saturday. My boarding pass says embarkation 12:30-3:00. Then I get the email from Carnival saying arrive at the port between 2:00 - 3:00. I've always arrived at port at 1:00 never been refused entry to a ship.

A search on this subject didn't help me find anything.

This month Carnival's new policy (already in effect on some ships) about requiring us to select our embarkation time goes into effect on the Ecstasy. No problem for us - we have already signed up for our preferred (earliest) time to board; however, the policy as stated is very strict. I wonder if anyone has experienced any problems.

(Interesting that our travel agent did not alert us to this - I discovered it quite by accident.)

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

Just don't get there early because they won't let you in.

It is confusing. I have both... a check in time and also FTTF for my next cruise.

Here's the skinny on stagger check-in from Carnival's website. It should clear up any questions regarding how it works.

Q: What is the benefit of Online Check-In?

A: Online Check-In will expedite your boarding process at the terminal by enabling you to select a check-in window, complete all required travel information and print your boarding pass ahead of time. On the day of your cruise, all you will need to do is go through a quick document and security check prior to boarding your cruise.

Q: Why must I select a check-in time online?

A: We know that providing a smooth embarkation experience is an important part of getting your vacation off to a great start. By staggering guests’ arrival times, we will be able to streamline our embarkation process and enhance your boarding experience.

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or 'Faster to the Fun' must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing - please select your anticipated check-in time so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard. Please keep in mind that transfers and Faster to the Fun may not be available for all sailings. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

Q: Are check-in times at cabin or guest level?

A: Check-in windows are selected at the cabin level since most guests traveling in the same cabin usually arrive together. So, be sure to consider your travel partners’ arrival when selecting your check-in window.

Q: What do I need to do if I have already completed Online Check-In and printed my boarding pass?

A: Guests who have already completed their Online Check-In must re-visit us at http://www.carnival.com/Onlinecheckin to select their check-in window. If you do not select a window, one will be automatically assigned to you the morning of your cruise. You will be notified via email and will have the option to print or save your boarding pass to your mobile device. A boarding pass is required to gain access to the terminal.

Q: What happens if I fail to select a check-in window?

A: If you, or anyone in your cabin, fail to select a check-in window, one will be automatically assigned to you the morning of your cruise. You will be notified via email and will have the option to print or save your boarding pass to your mobile device. A boarding pass is required to gain access to the terminal.

Q: If I am traveling with other cabins and we have different check-in times, can we still check-in together?

A: Please go back to the On-Line check in tool to select a window that fits everyone’s needs. Otherwise, check-in windows will be strictly enforced and guests will only be allowed in the terminal according to their assigned time.

Q: What happens if I arrive before or after my designated check-in time?

A: Guests who arrive prior to their check-in window will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience. Guests who arrive after their designated check-in time will be accommodated.

Q: What happens if my desired check-in window is closed?

A: Check-in windows are capacity controlled in order to achieve the desired guest experience. If your preferred window is closed, please select the next available check-in window.

Q: Can I waitlist for a specific check-in time if the one I prefer is not available?

A: Sorry, you will not be able to waitlist for a specific check-in window. However, windows may reopen at a later time. So, feel free to access your Online Check-In tool again to see if your preferred check-in time has becomes available.

Q: What is the latest time I can check-in for my cruise?

A: Check-in closes one (1) hour prior to your cruise’s scheduled departure time as displayed on your boarding pass. Arriving after this time may cause you to miss your cruise and no refunds will be given.

Q: When I arrive at the cruise terminal, what travel documents do I need to have in my possession?

A: All guests must present a paper or electronic copy of their boarding pass to enter the cruise terminal. Additionally, they must present proof of citizenship in the form of a WHTI compliant document, a government issued photo ID, and any applicable visas.

Q: Since Carnival offers cruise check-in at the Miami International Airport, if I fly in the day of sailing, can I still take advantage of checking in at this location?

A: Yes! Airport check-in is still available for all guests who fly-into the Miami International Airport. You must still select a window online so that we can prepare for your arrival onboard. Please remember to bring your mobile or printed boarding pass to access the cruise terminal.

I already have my check in done. How do I select my check in time? I don't see the option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had the same problem. After final payment was made, I was able to add the check-in time.

I finally got the answer I needed! I thought you could check in then wait for your boarding time. Now I know you can't even get into the port until 'your time'! Should be interesting in Charleston. Will they let you park your car whenever you get there?

You can park whenever you want. You can arrive at the port whenever you want. You can hand luggage over to the porters whenever you want. What you may not do is enter the terminal to check in until your check in window starts. The Carnival web site spells all of this out in great detail. And if Carnival has sent you the email PDF advising you need to select a check-in window, it also spells out the process in great detail.

This new policy, currently only in use at certain ports of embarkation ONLY impacts check in time. Has nothing to do with arrivals. boarding or anything else. And does not apply if you are Platinum, Diamond, FTTF or arriving on a Carnival transfer.

Edited by cruzeluver
spelling

Thanks you for the info! This is exactly what I wanted to know!

Should be interesting in Charleston. Will they let you park your car whenever you get there?

This was my question given the unique parking situation.

You can park whenever you want. You can arrive at the port whenever you want. You can hand luggage over to the porters whenever you want. What you may not do is enter the terminal to check in until your check in window starts. The Carnival web site spells all of this out in great detail. And if Carnival has sent you the email PDF advising you need to select a check-in window, it also spells out the process in great detail.

This new policy, currently only in use at certain ports of embarkation ONLY impacts check in time. Has nothing to do with arrivals. boarding or anything else. And does not apply if you are Platinum, Diamond, FTTF or arriving on a Carnival transfer.

Thanks for this explanation. After reading basically the same information in many formats - I think it's finally "sticking".

My question/concern in Charleston is if you arrive to park early, will they make you leave and drive the streets and then come back. Hopefully, you are correct and they will still let you park whenever you get there.

My next concern is if you park early, you can't catch the shuttle to the terminal until it's your time. You have no place to wait except your car. Then, I finally compared it to other ports. If I arrive at Port Canaveral an hour early, I would still end up waiting in my car (unless the weather was nice enough to want to wait outside of the terminal).

So, as long as they do let you park anytime in Charleston, then it's not really different than arriving early at other ports.

You just need to learn how to not arrive early at any of the ever-expanding number of ports with staggered embarkation.

Now my concern is how quickly they did the Charleston/Baltimore roll out - less than 2 weeks notice. We leave from Port Canaveral in Sept and want to get on early. Am checking the e-mails to grab an early time since the ship is pretty well sold out. LOL

Edited by CruzinScotty

I had the same problem. After final payment was made, I was able to add the check-in time.

It is my understanding that you don't have to be paid in full to select a check in time. Others have reported to being able to do it as soon as it was available.

To me, it doesn't make sense that if you haven't paid in full you can't select the check in time. Since you can do everything else before PIF, the check in should be the same.

does carnival send you a message if your port starts ding the staggered times?

We sail on DEC 1, 2016 and July 8 next year out of Long Beach and I don't see anything about check in times on any of my bookings.

Also, can you choose a check in time if you aren't paid in full yet?

We have a suite so I'm not sure it would matter anyways but just curious how it works because I often advise others travelling with us that don't have suites.

thanks.

I believe you totally misread Badfinger's post which was a response to your suggestion that people pick an early time even if they knew they wouldn't arrive then.

If you know you won't be there at 11 am, why would you select that time, taking if away from someone else? The slot times are limited, you know.

That's my concern with this - people will take an early slot even though they know they won't be there and then show up two hours later (so they can walk right on).

Select the time you believe you'll arrive. Simple enough, really. Of course things might happen and you might be delayed, but don't pick an early time just because you can.

Yeah they absolutely misread my post.

Bottom line is if everybody arrived and checked-in within the the time window they selected, it would be a great program and most would experience minimal lines and wait times. Unfortunately this is not the case.

does carnival send you a message if your port starts ding the staggered times?

We sail on DEC 1, 2016 and July 8 next year out of Long Beach and I don't see anything about check in times on any of my bookings.

Also, can you choose a check in time if you aren't paid in full yet?

We have a suite so I'm not sure it would matter anyways but just curious how it works because I often advise others travelling with us that don't have suites.

thanks.

They notified me via email when it was implemented for the port of my next cruise. They should notify you as well.