2 Days in Bermuda Experts Critic Please

scottygirl

The title of this thread should say Critique not Critic! Ugh I hate typos!

Arriving on July 25 Anthem of the Seas. Me, DH, DS19, DD19.

Day One:

Take 9:30 Ferry to St. George:

Tobacco Bay Snorkeling

Visit various sites, Fort St.Catherines, Unfinished Church

Walk around town a bit?

Take Bus or Taxi to Hamilton for Swizzle Inn

Walk around Hamilton

Take Ferry back to Ship

Day Two:

Shuttle to/From Horseshoe Bay 8:30-1:00?

Walk around Dockyard

We are all in good shape with no mobility issues.

Edited by scottygirl
Bad English :(

According to the port schedule, the Anthem arrives in Bermuda at 9AM. This makes it almost impossible to make the 9:30AM ferry to St George. The next ferry to St George is at 11:30AM

The Swizzle Inn is not in Hamilton, but on the way to Hamilton.

I don't see any major problems but you will have to play with your day 1 plans to accommodate the later ferry.

SBtS

Thanks for your quick reply! I know we are supposed to dock at 9:00 but it has been reported that the ship has arrived earlier so I'm hoping that is the case for us. If not I guess we will revise our plans. How far is the Swizzle Inn from Hamilton proper?

The title of this thread should say Critique not Critic! Ugh I hate typos!

Arriving on July 25 Anthem of the Seas. Me, DH, DS19, DD19.

Day One:

Take 9:30 Ferry to St. George:

Tobacco Bay Snorkeling

Visit various sites, Fort St.Catherines, Unfinished Church

Walk around town a bit?

Take Bus or Taxi to Hamilton for Swizzle Inn

Walk around Hamilton

Take Ferry back to Ship

Day Two:

Shuttle to/From Horseshoe Bay 8:30-1:00?

Walk around Dockyard

We are all in good shape with no mobility issues.

As long as you understand that the Swizzle Inn is not in Hamilton, that it would be a stop off along the way to Hamilton, your plan for both days is good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your quick reply! I know we are supposed to dock at 9:00 but it has been reported that the ship has arrived earlier so I'm hoping that is the case for us. If not I guess we will revise our plans. How far is the Swizzle Inn from Hamilton proper?

The original Swizzle Inn is between St. George and Hamilton, closer to St. George's.

Edited by Charles4515

Sounds like an awesome day. We absolutely love St George with Tobacco Bay and St Catherines is so beautiful. There's also a cute little area right beside St Catherines as well that's within walking distance of course and it's kinda far down in (using steps) and a small little hut around the rocks. Cool snorkeling and great hamburgers. (Next time you go back to St George, I highly recommend checking out St David's Long Bay Beach too (located in Coopers Reserve). Very secluded and just as beautiful as St Catherines).

If you say you are physically fit, you should take the bus all the way to Warwick and get off and spend a little time walking back toward Horseshoe Bay. Some very awesome beaches along the way and great opportunities for pictures. There's several bay and beaches that you'll find next to no one there (Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Bay, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, then Horseshoe Bay).

I reviews of all these places in my signature line if you are interested. There's TONS of pictures (including the Unfinished Church). :)

Sounds like an awesome day. We absolutely love St George with Tobacco Bay and St Catherines is so beautiful. There's also a cute little area right beside St Catherines as well that's within walking distance of course and it's kinda far down in (using steps) and a small little hut around the rocks. Cool snorkeling and great hamburgers. (Next time you go back to St George, I highly recommend checking out St David's Long Bay Beach too (located in Coopers Reserve). Very secluded and just as beautiful as St Catherines).

If you say you are physically fit, you should take the bus all the way to Warwick and get off and spend a little time walking back toward Horseshoe Bay. Some very awesome beaches along the way and great opportunities for pictures. There's several bay and beaches that you'll find next to no one there (Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Bay, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, then Horseshoe Bay).

I reviews of all these places in my signature line if you are interested. There's TONS of pictures (including the Unfinished Church). :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of walking along the beaches! How long of a walk is it from Warwick to Horseshoe? I am more concerned about the time than distance. Hubby and I are runners and the kids are athletes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of walking along the beaches! How long of a walk is it from Warwick to Horseshoe? I am more concerned about the time than distance. Hubby and I are runners and the kids are athletes.

The distance from the west end of Warwick Long Bay Beach to the east end of Horseshoe Bay Beach is about .6 mile using the paths. Below is a satellite photo of the oaths:

BeachPathv2-1.jpg

SBtS

The distance from the west end of Warwick Long Bay Beach to the east end of Horseshoe Bay Beach is about .6 mile using the paths. Below is a satellite photo of the oaths:

BeachPathv2-1.jpg

SBtS

Thank you. I just read mitsugirly's review and that was helpful also.

Thank you. I just read mitsugirly's review and that was helpful also.

Glad you were able to get the information and a look at the map from Sailbad. I wouldn't be able to answer how long myself since we took our time and stopped to swim in various bays. It was an amazing day and we had a lot of fun. I hope you try it. It's awesome to stop and swim in the areas that not many people are in. It's like you have the entire place to yourself. :D

Hate to burst your bubble... St George is NOT like it use to be...

Very disappointing... Many shops are no longer open...but hydroplane

Around island very nice...

Jump on the public bus it is cheap.... And scenic eventually gets to

Hamilton and where Anthem is docked....( you may have to transfer at Hamilton) or walk down to ferry dock and ferry back to ship

Bus will take you by Swizzle Inn as well

At horseshoe bay it's a long walk down to beach from main road where bus stops ... going down fine... Coming back up another story... Guys will offer you a ride up for a fee. If RCI still offers cat/ snorkel cruise

Marine life is just beautiful...well worth the money....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hate to burst your bubble... St George is NOT like it use to be...

Very disappointing... Many shops are no longer open...but hydroplane

Around island very nice...

Jump on the public bus it is cheap.... And scenic eventually gets to

Hamilton and where Anthem is docked....( you may have to transfer at Hamilton) or walk down to ferry dock and ferry back to ship

Bus will take you by Swizzle Inn as well

At horseshoe bay it's a long walk down to beach from main road where bus stops ... going down fine... Coming back up another story... Guys will offer you a ride up for a fee. If RCI still offers cat/ snorkel cruise

Marine life is just beautiful...well worth the money....

I guess if your primary activity there is shopping you will be disappointed. It is true that many shops have closed. I explained this in another thread. There are a lot fewer tourists there since cruise ship passengers are pretty much constrained to getting there by ferries that only hold 300 or so people and only run a few times a day. When more shops were open there two ships with 2500 to 3000 passengers docking in St. George's every week in the cruise season.

Despite the decrease in shopping opportunities St. George's is still a World Heritage Site. That does not change because some shops have closed. Personally I have continued to visit because of that. Shopping was never my main reason for visiting St. George's. I think St. George's is still a great place to visit in Bermuda.

Regarding the the hill at Horseshoe. Because the minibus shuttles to Horseshoe and back to the Dockyard that go down the hill and back up have become popular, the To the Top guy apparently has stopped that service. At the same time the Special express buses have been discontinued. The Top of the Hill guy has been driving his van lately as part of the $7 minibus shuttle service between Dockyard and Horseshoe. I saw his van parked at the Dockyard with the minibus shuttles a few weeks ago and there have been recent trip reports that the rides up the hill for a fee are currently not available.

Edited by Charles4515

Sorry for the shopping ref but I thought if you were going to shop you would be very disappointed... In Bermuda's past it was famed for its shops of fine china, crystal and linens... As the economy turned all of the well known shops have disappeared...

Didn't know about the top the hill guy ... But I still think the public bus is a great cheap way to see the island!

Heard rumors while we were there that St George may be dredged

So small ships again can come into town... (Dockyards is getting to crowded) now even the ferry kicks up the bottom...

Years ago we first arrived on an RCI ship it was very nice but we never could have accommodated 2500/3000 people!

Sorry for the shopping ref but I thought if you were going to shop you would be very disappointed... In Bermuda's past it was famed for its shops of fine china, crystal and linens... As the economy turned all of the well known shops have disappeared...

Didn't know about the top the hill guy ... But I still think the public bus is a great cheap way to see the island!

Heard rumors while we were there that St George may be dredged

So small ships again can come into town... (Dockyards is getting to crowded) now even the ferry kicks up the bottom...

Years ago we first arrived on an RCI ship it was very nice but we never could have accommodated 2500/3000 people!

Just to clarify I meant 2500 total combined from the two ships.

Small ships can still dock, the problem is the mass market cruise lines have moved to large ships that can not. Nevertheless NCL has signed on to increase their calls in Bermuda docking in St. George's. Their premium lines, Oceania and Regent which have small ships will be doing a bunch of sailings to St. George's.

What would have to happen for larger ships to dock in St. George would involve widening the Town Cut that ships pass thru. There are concerns that could cause environmental problems, and a surge if there is a hurricane. So while studies have been done nothing is planned.

Edited by Charles4515

St. George's in not to be missed, it is very interesting! If you do shop, go to the Island Shop at Somer's Wharf. Our favorite is to take a horse and carriage ride with Mr. Lewis Perinchief, his horses are Kip and Cody and he is so knowledgeable of St. George's. There's a sea glass beach on the route. Short bus ride to Swizzle Inn near St. George's on the way to Hamilton is always in our plan! We always spend more time in St. George's than Hamilton, it is so unique! Hopefully you will get off the ship early enough to catch the 9:30 ferry!! Have fun!!

St. George's in not to be missed, it is very interesting! If you do shop, go to the Island Shop at Somer's Wharf. Our favorite is to take a horse and carriage ride with Mr. Lewis Perinchief, his horses are Kip and Cody and he is so knowledgeable of St. George's. There's a sea glass beach on the route. Short bus ride to Swizzle Inn near St. George's on the way to Hamilton is always in our plan! We always spend more time in St. George's than Hamilton, it is so unique! Hopefully you will get off the ship early enough to catch the 9:30 ferry!! Have fun!!

Are these his guys? I always wondered about the horse and carriage rides. It looks like it would be a lot of fun.

P6080777%20copy-M.jpg

St George is by far my favorite area when in Bermuda. I wish we docked there. I probably wouldn't even go to the other side if so.

Thank you for the suggestion!

• 3 weeks later...