"You are on a ship now" ...what do you do differently?

OlsSalt

It's not unusual for me to wake up, warm, in the middle of the night. When this happens, I get up and check the temperature. Invariably, it's right where it's supposed to be. This happens at home as well as while traveling. Our travel alarm clock has a temperature sensor. About the only time it's truly gotten warmer is when the sun comes up and is on our side of the ship.

I'm not trying to place blame, but this all started a few years ago when I began getting AARP mailers. I'm pretty sure that they made my bladder smaller because I never used to wake up to pee before they began mailing me.

Well, just think of all the bed wettings they saved you from! :D Say "Thank you AARP!"

I don't know whether you were including OlsSalt's comment ("HAL turns off the A/C in the cabins in the wee small hours to save money spent on energy costs, which interrupts getting a good night's sleep.") in the complaints you're dismissing, but DW and I are among the many passengers who are very comfortable in the early part of the night, only to find ourselves waking in the early hours to remove bed coverings because the cabin is now too warm. If it's not the A/C being fiddled with, I'd love to know what causes it, and more importantly, how to prevent it.

I can't and won't argue with your anecdotal evidence, but as POA says, I find myself kicking off the covers after a few hours, even at home where I don't have AC and just use the windows. I would be very surprised if HAL were doing this, because it really doesn't save any energy.

If having the door open is what cuts the AC off, then travel with a magnet to over ride the detection mechanism. If it is triggered by the temperature in the room then everyone is out of luck.

Yes, opening the door shuts off the individual cabin recirculation cooling, but the problem is with the supply air, which is common to several cabins, and causes airflow problems with these cabins as well.

I don't know whether you were including OlsSalt's comment ("HAL turns off the A/C in the cabins in the wee small hours to save money spent on energy costs, which interrupts getting a good night's sleep.") in the complaints you're dismissing, but DW and I are among the many passengers who are very comfortable in the early part of the night, only to find ourselves waking in the early hours to remove bed coverings because the cabin is now too warm. If it's not the A/C being fiddled with, I'd love to know what causes it, and more importantly, how to prevent it.

My guess would be people leaving their balcony doors open and messing up the A/C.

Roy

One thing we do is be sure to set our cabin temperature to the lowest when we go to bed, and whoever gets up first in the morning has to set it higher.

Since this cabin temperature change is never instant or even obvious with blasts of warm or cool air, one has to learn by trial and error what works best and the best time to start the cabin heating or cooling process.