"You are on a ship now" ...what do you do differently?

OlsSalt

We are starting to go off topic a bit on another thread about "toilet protocols" into what do we do differently now that we are on a ship, that differs significantly from maybe our routines when we are at home and land-based.

Here are a few things we are now expected to do differently and also be aware we are now in a shared environment so some inadvertent things we do can end up causing problems for others who are sharing this new, floating enclosed space with us.

To start out with the obvious changes that are necessary for the comfort of other passengers:

1. Wash our hands far more frequently and be hyper aware of putting our fingers fingers in our eyes, nose or mouth.

2. Don't flush anything down the vacuum system commodes that does not belong or what you can flush down a regular land-based plumbing system - prior thread listed items that have been found blocking these new far narrower vacuum plumbing system

3. Closing verandah doors and not leaving them open for "fresh air" at night.

4. If you touch it, don't put it back rule for the food serving lines.

We were also discussing whether a brief PSA "You are on a ship now" should be included in any mandatory passenger orientation that could cover these points in a compelling way, plus include other things to think about that are different now that we are on a shared ship environment, and not land-based at home.

Edited by OlsSalt

I have no choice but to use the elevators as I use a Rollator so..........

HAL has tons of those small Kleenexes which I put several in my left pocket -- use one to push the elevator button -- put it in my right pocket. Once on the elevator, take another clean Kleenex and use it to push the button for the deck I want -- the Kleenex goes into my right pocket. All are folded up so I do not touch the side that touched the buttons. Then they go into a waste can once we get back to the cabin.

Typically only the very tips of your fingers become the potential disease vectors, since those are the primary parts of your hand that you stick into nose, eyes and mouths or use to touch other cross-contaminating objects.

Using a knuckle to press the elevator button will keep your finger tips out of harms way.

Using your wrist to balance or a pulled down sleeve cuff can protect your leading hand when using the stair rails - never stop using stair rails on ships or at home remains sound safety advice.

Using the tissues on the bathroom door handles is also very good advice and it is nice to see HAL has made arrangements for this extra step -- providing the tissue and the waste container on the way out. Protecting from noro (GI) and Upper respiratory infections takes two different approaches but have much in common - keeping the finger tips clean in each setting is key and knowing what you are doing with your finger tips, even after you just washed them is also key.

Edited by OlsSalt

I'm neater on a ship--shoes in the closet instead of out on the floor, etc. I don't want the stewards to think I'm a slob. :eek:

Me too!!! Would die if they would think I was uncivilized. Always make sure all lights off before I leave to conserve ships energy! Drives my husband nutz!!

There are makings for a fun PSA video here - the fun things we now do on a ship that we might not do at home, and those pesky other things we also need to think about when on a ship that may not concern us as much at home.

I can see the visual of someone dropping their towels, wash clothes etc into the tub, but in NOT the commode. Little sparks flying off our impeccably clean finger tips so we are aware constantly of what we are touching as we go about normal daily activities.

No internet or cell phone other than quick wifi family check in in port should we find it without having to go out of our way.

Which means I actually talk to people face to face on the ship which is a big change from day to day...which is sad now that I read this

Sneeze in the crook of my arm

(Off topic)

We teach children to always sneeze and cough in the crook of their arm at school. But I did have to laugh when I was testing a five year old and pointed to his elbow and asked "what is this called?' His reply "cold catcher"

(Off topic)

We teach children to always sneeze and cough in the crook of their arm at school. But I did have to laugh when I was testing a five year old and pointed to his elbow and asked "what is this called?' His reply "cold catcher"

Kids; gotta love them! :D

Well one thing we would all be doing differently on board, after these last horrific 48 hours, is paying a lot more attention to what is happening locally in our anticipated upcoming ports of call. :confused:

Edited by OlsSalt

I'm neater on a ship--shoes in the closet instead of out on the floor, etc. I don't want the stewards to think I'm a slob. :eek:

Yes! I agree!

This is a great thread!

For me:

I stay awake later to enjoy the entertainment on the ship.

At home, a very light breakfast, but somehow more food finds its way on my breakfast plate on a cruise.

Rarely have lunch at home, but, at sea, mid-afternoon finds me "hungry". Must be the sea air.

I actually find time to read books when I am on a cruise. (I subscribe to far too many journals and magazines.)

A welcome reprieve from being online; I truly enjoy doing so at home, but the time I "waste" doing so also bothers me at times.

Change out of my pretty nighty before I head off to breakfast. (you're welcome) ;)

Wash up and change into dressier clothes for dinner.

Cocktail every night. (yum) :D

See a movie once in a while. :)

Drink lattes (at the Explorations Cafe) mid-morning. I love them but rarely go to a Starbucks-type place in the course of normal routines, and I'm too cheap to do anything but brew coffee at home in a Mr. Coffee.

Which makes it more special when I'm on board. Now that we three-star Mariners, the discounted price is reasonable and it's my special treat, especially enjoyable while reading or writing in one of those Eames chairs + ottoman facing the sea.

Do our 3 miles of walking on water instead of land. :D

Dress nicer for dinner which I enjoy.

We're always conscious of what we touch and I always carry a very small hand sanitizer in my purse or backpack. The ship just makes it even easier to use!

Utahtea