Zika worries

MarcsSharon

There are a lot of unknowns about the potential range of the mosquitos that transmit the virus. Don't discount the potential for viral transmission from asymptomatic individuals that acquired the virus in the tropics when they return to their homes in cooler climes.

"The WHO also says there is a link between the Zika virus to a rare nervous system condition called Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). The syndrome causes a person’s nervous system to attack its own nerve cells, resulting in potential muscle damage or paralysis. As of April 13 countries and/or territories reported increased incidences of GBS and cases of GBS with Zika infection."

I know someone who developed Guillain Barre while in Florida on her vacation a few years ago (not Zika related). It was close to fatal and she probably has spend a total of five MONTHS in the hospital, several days near death. The effects still linger. So, everyone needs to be cautious.

I have never been bitten by a mosquito on a cruise because I take lots of precautions. I wasn't bitten in a rainforest in Costa Rica either. I would NOT go if I was pregnant.

I also wouldn't venture into a mosquito prone area in the Caribbean either.

• 2 weeks later...

"The WHO also says there is a link between the Zika virus to a rare nervous system condition called Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). The syndrome causes a person’s nervous system to attack its own nerve cells, resulting in potential muscle damage or paralysis. As of April 13 countries and/or territories reported increased incidences of GBS and cases of GBS with Zika infection."

I know someone who developed Guillain Barre while in Florida on her vacation a few years ago (not Zika related). It was close to fatal and she probably has spend a total of five MONTHS in the hospital, several days near death. The effects still linger. So, everyone needs to be cautious.

I have never been bitten by a mosquito on a cruise because I take lots of precautions. I wasn't bitten in a rainforest in Costa Rica either. I would NOT go if I was pregnant.

I also wouldn't venture into a mosquito prone area in the Caribbean either.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What precautions did you take and what parts of the Caribbean are mosquito prone?

I understand the same mosquitos carry dengue fever, which is more serious as a rule. If you've never worried about dengue fever, then there's no need to worry about zika.

When we were in St Maarten a couple of years ago, we purchased something that had to be wrapped in newspaper. Right on the front page was a story about the Debgue fever problem in St Maarten and that the French side wasn't cooperating in the abatement program.

No one ever mentioned there was a dengue fever outbreak when we docked. So who knows what's really going on, ever.

We wil continue with our scheduled cruises to the Caribbean.