Views from Starboard Balcony?

CMM

We have a Starboard Cabin on the Star Princess in September. Unfortunately by the time we had booked the balcony cabin choices were few and none really on the port side.

My question to experienced Alaskan cruisers is what will I see from the Starboard side. More specifically based on my itinerary below, when would be the best ports/times to enjoy the views from our balcony?

Am I correct in assuming that if the better view is from one side comming into a port than the other side would have the advantage leaving?

Thank you for your advise.

8:30pm Anchorage , Alaska*

Sun, 09/18/16

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska (scenic Cruising)

3:00pm-8:00pm

Mon, 09/19/16 Glacier Bay National Park (scenic Cruising) 9:15am–7:30pm

Tue, 09/20/16 Skagway, Alaska 7:00am–8:30pm

Wed, 09/21/16 Juneau 6:30am–4:00pm

Thu, 09/22/16 Ketchikan 9:30am–5:45pm

Fri, 09/23/16 At Sea

Sat, 09/24/16 Vancouver 7:30am

Wrong "assumptions" :)

Ports have views on both sides. On the inside passage you have views on both sides. Hubbard Glacier is forward and Glacier Bay, if you want most viewing and the commentary to match up with the glacier- you need to get out of your cabin. Of course, you can't see it "all", but parking yourself for extended time, is limiting your views by at least 50%. :)

The glaciers comments- will always run the - "everyone" gets to see the glaciers as the ships spin around. BUT with this thinking, the parked people are missing a significant portion of the potential views. Reason, I, as example, move with the ship and go side to side frequently. :)

Depends on you.

Totally agree with Budget Queen...totally wrong on assumptions.

There are dozens of threads here on the "best side" to be on. The concept that is commonly missed is that there is scenery on all sides, and it is is "big picture" scenery...meaning there is no one magic spot you need to be at to see things. There is scenery all around you!!

Southbound, so while cruising starboard would be facing west. No problem as ships tend to route like cars in North America on the right side so closer shore would be on starboard side. Also, some people want views to the east where the mountains are higher but chances are the higher peaks behind the foothills will be shrouded in clouds so essentially view of each shore would be similar.

In port you might face the town (interesting) or away (also interesting). We greatly enjoyed the view away from town of float planes landing and eagles fishing in their wake. But best take away from our last Alaska cruise was to get out of the cabin to where we could see both sides at once. We found the balcony too restricting so booked inside for next trip.

Also try and be out on deck the first evening after sailing from Whittier. IMHO the first couple of hours are some of the best views on the cruise, most people miss them as they have just boarded and are either eating or have gone to bed tired after the trip to the ship.

Just noticed you are sailing late Sept so it will be too dark to see much after leaving Whittier and Skagway. Sorry

I definitly plan on getting out and enjoying the open decks. But know we'd enjoy some down time away from crowds too.

Thank you DougH, Bugdet Queen, Sequim88, and CruiserBruce for your responses