Empress CDC inspection score is pretty bad - 80

Never recall a score this low for a ship sailing with a major cruise line. CDC inspected her on 6/3/06. RCI had two rounds of cancelled sailings to get things right after Pullmantur apparently neglected her. Guess future inspection scores can only go up.

Eeeek that is LOW... Especially for a major cruise line... Below 85 is a fail... From the report, looks like a lot of water piping issues (back flow preventers not installed) refrigeration and they still seem to have cockroaches (guess the 2 rounds of cancellations for clearing the bugs left some behind)!!!

Edited by poz222
Added info after review report

Never seen this site before. Very interesting. One thing I noticed in reading the infractions. It appears there were a number of duplicate issues, based on infraction and recommendation, but had a different number assigned to it. Either way, still a bad review. Now to go look at ships for my upcoming sailings.

Erika

July 9 inspection was 97. Not sure how long it takes for reports to be added to USPH site.

Good to hear. The recent positive feedback here is another plus. Hardworking crew deserves credit for turning things around.

Hello all,

Empress of the Seas was re-inspected on July 9 and received a score of 97. Most items flagged by USPH in the June 3 inspection was immediately remedied. Our guests expect the highest standards and we aim to deliver them.

Thank you.

Good to hear corporate has their finger on the pulse!. We're doing b2b2b this August:)

Ralph & Carolyn

Never recall a score this low for a ship sailing with a major cruise line. CDC inspected her on 6/3/06. RCI had two rounds of cancelled sailings to get things right after Pullmantur apparently neglected her. Guess future inspection scores can only go up.

You mean 2016,i would stay away.

Hello all,

Empress of the Seas was re-inspected on July 9 and received a score of 97. Most items flagged by USPH in the June 3 inspection was immediately remedied. Our guests expect the highest standards and we aim to deliver them.

Thank you.

We were on the July 9th sailing and can attest to the high quality of facilities and service that now exists. Kudos to the whole crew and F&B in particular led by Sheldon Rodrigues.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=539247&et_cid=2745788&et_rid=142788160&et_referrer=TripAdvisor

Hello all,

Thank you.

Hogwash! High standards would not allow canceling March 25th cruise less than a week before it sailed without significant compensations for those guests who were left with nonrefundable airfare, hotel, and other prepaid costs associated with planning a cruise!

Nice try to make a failed inspection look better than it was! Kinda like causing a second car accident in 2 monthes, but this time it was not because you were texting!

Nice try to make a failed inspection look better than it was! Kinda like causing a second car accident in 2 monthes, but this time it was not because you were texting!

What :confused::confused::confused:

Hello all,

Thank you.

Never doubted it! Agree that it is nice to see all of the efforts in transitioning Empress back to the RC fleet have been noticed and are reflected in the great new score.

Hello all,

Thank you.

Thank You RCI

The second inspection was a 97. And I don't think it was because the captain was texting.

Confusing post from Razzinger. Maybe some clarification is needed.

Yes it was.

Royal has failed on the inspection and the entire Empress return. Now they can pat themselves on the back because they passed inspection this time. Why did they not get it right the first time? What about next time?

Confusing post from Razzinger. Maybe some clarification is needed.

I read it as focusing on the "high standards" portion of their post...but that's just me.

We did notice a marked drop in quality, service and overall experience on our last cruise. However, we are giving them another chance and will be on the same ship so we will be able to give (as much as possible) an apples to apples comparison and see if thing are better, worse or the same.

Yes it was.

Royal has failed on the inspection and the entire Empress return. Now they can pat themselves on the back because they passed inspection this time. Why did they not get it right the first time? What about next time?

I understand your anger but I'm not sure what you wanted them to say in response to a Cruise Critic post. Maybe it's time to move on.

I read it as focusing on the "high standards" portion of their post...but that's just me.

We did notice a marked drop in quality, service and overall experience on our last cruise. However, we are giving them another chance and will be on the same ship so we will be able to give (as much as possible) an apples to apples comparison and see if thing are better, worse or the same.

Hi TC1957!

Each cruise is so very different. I think our very best service ever was on Grandeur out of Baltimore. It wasn't my favorite cruise or itinerary, but made up for it in other ways. I think the cruise I expected to like the most, but didn't was Allure. Nothing was bad, it's just not the right size ship for me. My favorites remain sailings from San Juan. Everyone looks for something different and has different expectations. I am trying to learn to just relax and let things unfold, but easier said than done.

I DO understand razzinger's frustration - I have had a sailing cancelled after I had hotel, car and local tickets arranged. I know it's inconvenient. And, I am sorry that happened. I did not choose to stop sailing with RC, but just to move forward and hope that type of event does not happen again.

Yes it was.

Hi razz, you should try a trip over to the diamond and take in a squirrels game:):p

Have you seen the prices for Empress in September?!, $43/p/n versus double that for Enchantment.

All the poor planning, poorly taken care of guests (who got theirs cancelled), poor food (at least early on, as I have read) and poor execution bringing her back into the fleet will be taking RCI to the poor house.

I know part of the low price issue is due to the late announcement of the September itineraries while they wait for the Cuba approval, but all the bad press is not going to help get the Enchantment and Navigator crowd to migrate over to Empress. Some might consider this a golden opportunity to cruise cheap. But you get what you pay for, eh!

I know Boyton Beth had a good experience on her recently so DW and I might be willing to board her in September for the current price. Still thinking about it.

Edited by Tagsalong