Dining Room Attire

kamari

Why bother. My husband and I were way over dressed each night. I understand people who dress down on the first night due to luggage delays etc.... but even on elegant night ppl wore shorts, jeans, tank tops, flip flops really. I guess cruise lines have relaxed their attire regulations along with the dining room cut backs. I'm a strong advocate of respecting the dress code, elegant night is a cruising tradition and a lot of people dress up and seem to enjoy it. I found it discouraging that 80% of the ppl wore beach clothing. I feel that shorts are not suited for the dining room. I understand, I'm not a fan of tux, but wear a nice pair of slacks, tie, and collared shirt. That's decent. You don't have to wear a pageant dress. I wore a simple cocktail dress, that didn't weigh a ton or take up too much luggage room. It just really killed the vibe and some of the outfits people wore, to sum it up, I was just simply out done

Why bother. My husband and I were way over dressed each night. I understand people who dress down on the first night due to luggage delays etc.... but even on elegant night ppl wore shorts, jeans, tank tops, flip flops really. I guess cruise lines have relaxed their attire regulations along with the dining room cut backs. I'm a strong advocate of respecting the dress code, elegant night is a cruising tradition and a lot of people dress up and seem to enjoy it. I found it discouraging that 80% of the ppl wore beach clothing. I feel that shorts are not suited for the dining room. I understand, I'm not a fan of tux, but wear a nice pair of slacks, tie, and collared shirt. That's decent. You don't have to wear a pageant dress. I wore a simple cocktail dress, that didn't weigh a ton or take up too much luggage room. It just really killed the vibe and some of the outfits people wore, to sum it up, I was just simply out done

The world has become informal. Why do you care so much what others wear?

Problem is an awful lot of people cruising now were not cruising when getting dressed for dinner was not only a tradition, but an absolute requirement. They would not know that was the way it was.Times change and we have to change with them. The relaxing of dress codes and lack of adherence cuts across cruise lines, despite what some others will say.

Why bother?

Why bother complaining about it? You can't change other people to please yourself so why bother getting upset about it? You said you feel shorts are not appropriate for the dining room, that's how you feel but not everyone feels that way. I've never really understood why what other people are wearing bothers them. I just don't get concerned over what others are wearing to the dining room. I pay attention to myself and my own family and enjoy our meal. As a pp said times change. I can remember when people used to dress up to fly. Men in suits, women in dresses and some even wearing gloves. That's a thing of the past, and dressing up for dinner on a cruise ship is rapidly following in that direction.

Edited by Yvonne

Indeed. If you want enforced dress codes, or passengers that follow them, you have to move up the cruising food chain. Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, etc. Otherwise, just dress to impress yourself and the crew, and let the others stick out like sore thumbs! :cool:

This, I like the casual cruise I can get from Carnival. End of story.. My BIL does not, hence he doesn't cruise Carnival. Easy to do.

Once upon a time cruising was an elegant vacation.

Really enjoyed getting dressed up and being presented to the captain. Those days we would never dream of not wearing formal attire.

Now elegant night is just an excuse to take expensive pictures.

Would love to see cruising go back to what it was but that is not going to happen.

Its just the direction the industry is going. They have a lot of berths to fill and will do what appeals to the widest number of potential customers. Carnival is hardly unique in this respect. NCL did away with any formal or formal-esque dress requirements a number of years ago.

Even Celebrity (my other line of choice) has done away with "formal" nights. They now call them "chic evenings" and define it as a much more relaxed dress code.

The world has become informal. Why do you care so much what others wear?

This is the case, and I was born in the wrong time period. Unfortunately I think there is no going back. I would love to see any cruise line start a formal, not cruise elegant, but formal dining room. I know that most people would not, but I would pay extra for this dining room. I also expect that it would become very popular as a venue in which you must dress to attend.

People are funny, I bet they would flock to a new thing that they could have done for free.

Why do you care what other people wear? Worry about yourself and yours.

Ah, the times have indeed changed. As a mature gentleman who has been cruising for many years now, on several cruise lines (some with more strict dress codes than Carnival) I can relate to the OP feelings. Do I overdress? Probably. I do pack a Tuxedo (partly because I have one and seek opportunities to wear it...and it still fits!) I cruise Carnival at least two (2) times a year, and I have seen things becoming more and more relaxed. In fairness, I see this on other lines too however. Once I got upset by this, but the bottom line is, I like life on a cruise ship. One reason I like Carnival is that they really are the "Fun Ships"....so I go to have fun. On several occasions, my being more dressed up has opened the door to conversation with other passengers. I have no problem sharing time with a man or woman in shorts and tank tops when I am in a jacket. They are relaxed and on vacation, I am relaxed and on vacation. For me, I would not be comfortable in shorts and flip flops, and therefore would not be enjoying my vacation. My advice would be to go with what you want. The guidelines now seem to be suggestions only. Go and enjoy.

I always chuckle at traditionalists who want cruising to be the way it was eons ago when it tried to match the ambiance of lifestyles far removed from present day "clothing". Thousands of us wear casual clothing 24/7. We don't necessarily 'go to church', attend formal weddings, or have to dress up to go to work.

It's easy for some posters to post the meme of "just buy something and follow the code" but, many, don't want to spend the money on useless items that they will, in all likelihood, not wear again.

Cruising vacations, as viewed by many, are all about letting their hair down. They are considered 'beach vacations' especially while traveling the Caribbean or warm weather climes. And, with luggage restrictions why fill a suitcase with clothing worn only for a couple of hours...much better to reserve that weight for things like snorkel gear or the like.

Ah, the times have indeed changed. As a mature gentleman who has been cruising for many years now, on several cruise lines (some with more strict dress codes than Carnival) I can relate to the OP feelings. Do I overdress? Probably. I do pack a Tuxedo (partly because I have one and seek opportunities to wear it...and it still fits!) I cruise Carnival at least two (2) times a year, and I have seen things becoming more and more relaxed. In fairness, I see this on other lines too however. Once I got upset by this, but the bottom line is, I like life on a cruise ship. One reason I like Carnival is that they really are the "Fun Ships"....so I go to have fun. On several occasions, my being more dressed up has opened the door to conversation with other passengers. I have no problem sharing time with a man or woman in shorts and tank tops when I am in a jacket. They are relaxed and on vacation, I am relaxed and on vacation. For me, I would not be comfortable in shorts and flip flops, and therefore would not be enjoying my vacation. My advice would be to go with what you want. The guidelines now seem to be suggestions only. Go and enjoy.

Love this! Would be delighted to run into you on a cruise some time. We too still break out the tuxes or at the very least, dark suits with ties for elegant nights because we enjoy the "specialness" of the evening and recognizing this is not every day life. But do not care what others choose to do.

So I guess the only proper attire is what you want; no tuxes, too formal - no shorts, too informal. Not the way the world works, relax and enjoy your cruise

I typically wear slacks and a sport shirt or polo to dinner on a cruise. I'll wear a suit to one formal night and maybe just a sport coat to the second formal night. I enjoy dressing up a little. I work in scrubs so it is actually a treat to be able to dress up a little. I get it that not everyone feels that way. What other people wear to dinner does not change the dining experience for me. I do think t-shirts and tank tops should be a no-no but it isn't and life goes on.

I'm retired so I can wear whatever I want at home which generally means jeans, shorts, Tshirts, etc. My daughter is an actress so she has to wear whatever the role calls for. I'm tempted to suggest that we take our formal gowns to wear on our upcoming 4-day cruise out of Long Beach. We'd get some stares, I'm sure, but it might be a hoot!

This is the case, and I was born in the wrong time period. Unfortunately I think there is no going back. I would love to see any cruise line start a formal, not cruise elegant, but formal dining room. I know that most people would not, but I would pay extra for this dining room. I also expect that it would become very popular as a venue in which you must dress to attend.

People are funny, I bet they would flock to a new thing that they could have done for free.

The have that on RCCL on quantum class. The Grande is a formal dining room. You must have a jacket to enter and they give them out at the door to men. People rage about it all the time. They do not wish to dress formally but they want the food that is served there. Quite sad really.

When I was in high school we had to wear dress shoes, dress slacks, and a collared shirt. Girls had to wear a skirt (below the knees.) Times change. We went to a funeral the other day and I asked my wife if I should wear a suit. She gave me a look and I put on a suit. Well the only others at the funeral wearing a suit were the funeral director and the corpse. Times change.

With air fare not including baggage on most lines, there is no way we are bringing formal wear to a cruise. I wear a dress shirt with a tie and that is it. We have seen men asked to take off their hats and people refused entrance if they were in shorts. Occasionally someone might slip through, but it certainly will not bother me if they do.

It is always interesting to me that anyone worries about what someone else is wearing. I recognize that there are many people who don't dress in my style, and that's okay! On a cruise, just like at home--there will be people wearing all sorts of things around me and it doesn't affect my experience one single bit.

I enjoying getting dressed up for dinner, but I respect that others are also on vacation and to them, being comfortable is more important. They deserve the chance to eat in the MDR as much as I do.

Edited by zabaco

It is always interesting to me that anyone worries about what someone else is wearing. I recognize that there are many people who don't dress in my style, and that's okay! On a cruise, just like at home--there will be people wearing all sorts of things around me and it doesn't affect my experience one single bit.

I enjoying getting dressed up for dinner, but I respect that others are also on vacation and to them, being comfortable is more important. They deserve the chance to eat in the MDR as much as I do.

Amen!!

Sorry, I cringe when I see crap clothes in the MDR on formal nights. It's called "formal night" not "flip flop night". Now I don't care what you wear the other 22 hours of that day, but show some respect to the tradition. You should be embarrased to walk into a formal dining room dressed down.

I realize that standards have dropped, and for most men now "formal" is dockers and a worn polo shirt. What a sorry state of affairs. Suit up!

This is your night to shine, bring out your best. Ladies, how often do you get the chance to dress like a star and be treated like royalty? (And I guarantee that if you bring your "a" game, nothing is likely to be refused to you.)

The same goes for men, just put a little effort into it. (If all else fails, the crew at any Men's Wearhouse will set you up in a jiff.

Luggage a problem? Please. You drag it from the car to a porter and it shows up in your room. Luggage valets take even less effort.

You see, the point of bringing out your best is that you bring something to the party. I've seem some amazing outfits, traditional kimonos, authentic kilts, all kind of wonderful sartorial expressions. These people added to the night. I say bring back the glamour!

Don't be the bozo who shows up in shorts, if you refuse to play, the buffet is over there....

Try Princess and X because every thing goes on Carnival.