Dining Room Attire

kamari

Sorry, I cringe when I see crap clothes in the MDR on formal nights. It's called "formal night" not "flip flop night". Now I don't care what you wear the other 22 hours of that day, but show some respect to the tradition. You should be embarrased to walk into a formal dining room dressed down.

I realize that standards have dropped, and for most men now "formal" is dockers and a worn polo shirt. What a sorry state of affairs. Suit up!

This is your night to shine, bring out your best. Ladies, how often do you get the chance to dress like a star and be treated like royalty? (And I guarantee that if you bring your "a" game, nothing is likely to be refused to you.)

The same goes for men, just put a little effort into it. (If all else fails, the crew at any Men's Wearhouse will set you up in a jiff.

Luggage a problem? Please. You drag it from the car to a porter and it shows up in your room. Luggage valets take even less effort.

You see, the point of bringing out your best is that you bring something to the party. I've seem some amazing outfits, traditional kimonos, authentic kilts, all kind of wonderful sartorial expressions. These people added to the night. I say bring back the glamour!

Don't be the bozo who shows up in shorts, if you refuse to play, the buffet is over there....

I don't care who you are, that was some funny ish right there....still laughing...

Sorry, I cringe when I see crap clothes in the MDR on formal nights. It's called "formal night" not "flip flop night". Now I don't care what you wear the other 22 hours of that day, but show some respect to the tradition. You should be embarrased to walk into a formal dining room dressed down.

I realize that standards have dropped, and for most men now "formal" is dockers and a worn polo shirt. What a sorry state of affairs. Suit up!

This is your night to shine, bring out your best. Ladies, how often do you get the chance to dress like a star and be treated like royalty? (And I guarantee that if you bring your "a" game, nothing is likely to be refused to you.)

The same goes for men, just put a little effort into it. (If all else fails, the crew at any Men's Wearhouse will set you up in a jiff.

Luggage a problem? Please. You drag it from the car to a porter and it shows up in your room. Luggage valets take even less effort.

You see, the point of bringing out your best is that you bring something to the party. I've seem some amazing outfits, traditional kimonos, authentic kilts, all kind of wonderful sartorial expressions. These people added to the night. I say bring back the glamour!

Don't be the bozo who shows up in shorts, if you refuse to play, the buffet is over there....

Well said.

I respect others choice to wear what they wish, but the 'formal' nights are a chance to have a special night with your special someone! Yes times are changing, but not everything is for the better. The more we have 'informal' lives, and an out with the old attitude, it looks as each next generation is less able to communicate (in person) with few social skills. What's wrong with being able to be comfortable in all situations, depending what that situation is. I am able to enjoy a VERY casual meal. But can also easily fit into a formal gathering as well. I have met some of the best characters/people in my life from both ends of the spectrum.

Some are not comfortable, and can't switch between the two. That is fine. Many places to eat on a cruise. But if you attend a meal, it's because it interests you. (Don't think you can order a bacon cheese burger at a sushi place) and I assume you went there for fish! ( or to to impress a girl :cool:)

Sorry been drinking the red juice again 🍷

No more ranting here, I hope all enjoy your next cruise

We dress nice for dinner. We do this at home too when we go out. I don't mind what people wear as long as they are not too casual. I don't mind shorts and a nice shirt for men and capris or sun dresses for women. We dress up for elegant night at least once every cruise and actually enjoy it but guess some don't.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing "special" about clothes. They don't make you prettier or more dashing, smarter or funnier, a good conversationalist. Clothes aren't synonymous with manners, nor do they (any longer) "class" someone up. They don't make an evening special...good friends, a great companion, intelligent company, they make an evening special. Great food isn't even a requirement when you are visiting with people who have something worthwhile to discuss.

This reliance on clothes to make an evening special seems synthetic and oftentimes absurd. Picnics can be special, barbecues can be special, a meal at the local greasy spoon can be special.

Why it is important to some to judge their enjoyment of an evening by the clothes they wear doesn't compute with me.

I'm not too picky about what others wear in the MDR, but PLEASE Carnival, Please don't let men in there with wife beaters on. Please. I lose my appetite looking at some random guy's back hair and hairy armpits while I'm trying to enjoy my dinner. Stop them at the door, make them go back and put on a t-shirt at least. I don't care if they have shorts and flip-flops on, they'll be under the table. But keep those wife beaters out of there.

Special...clothes! Correct there is nothing special about clothes, except to the person that is wearing them. Isn't a wedding day for a bride quite often about the dress, clothes, etc. Sometimes the clothes do make a difference.

And she could choose a wedding in a barn or a grand church, but would you not wear appropriate clothing for the events, including if it was requested. Wouldn't you honour her wishes, or just wear what you want cause it's all about you?

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing "special" about clothes. They don't make you prettier or more dashing, smarter or funnier, a good conversationalist. Clothes aren't synonymous with manners, nor do they (any longer) "class" someone up. They don't make an evening special...good friends, a great companion, intelligent company, they make an evening special. Great food isn't even a requirement when you are visiting with people who have something worthwhile to discuss.

This reliance on clothes to make an evening special seems synthetic and oftentimes absurd. Picnics can be special, barbecues can be special, a meal at the local greasy spoon can be special.

Why it is important to some to judge their enjoyment of an evening by the clothes they wear doesn't compute with me.

Agree to disagree. To me it just shows you have no respect for the occasion.

Invited to the Captains table, how do you dress?

Evening wedding, how do you dress?

Got invited to the Oscars, how do you dress?

We used to celebrate elegance. Now, not so much.

I would like to see dress codes enforced but the thing that bothers me most is men sitting down to eat in dinning room with baseball cap on and not removing them. I'm from the south and you remove any hat before sitting at the table to eat.

Right on!!

I used to think it was just a southern thing, but I've seen some southerners still eating with something on their head.... Not me or mine though.

Um... It hasn't been FORMAL NIGHT for years...

"Most evenings we have a 'Cruise Casual' dress code but there are those 'Cruise Elegant' evenings one or two nights throughout the voyage where guests will have the opportunity to showcase their more elegant attire."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree to disagree. To me it just shows you have no respect for the occasion.

Invited to the Captains table, how do you dress?

Evening wedding, how do you dress?

Got invited to the Oscars, how do you dress?

We used to celebrate elegance. Now, not so much.

But a so-so dinner on a cruise vacation with 2000 peeps I don't know...I'm not trying to impress anyone.

If a bride invites me to a black-tie wedding I have the choice to go or not. I haven't paid for the privilege.

My chances of being invited to the Oscars is about as likely as winning the lottery.

People need to remember that individuals have "paid" for their vacation, and should be able to choose their ensembles. They shouldn't have to dress-up to make anyone else's experience "special"...that is up to the individual.

If I were invited to the Senior Prom I'd probably acquiesce to the expected dress, but to eat a banquet meal on "my" vacation...not so likely. Sure that is self-centered, but so is the meme that people need to "dress" for dinner to follow out-dated traditions. Life has changed, cruising Carnival is now about families (for the most part) not about trying to relive a past that is long gone.

Why bother. My husband and I were way over dressed each night. I understand people who dress down on the first night due to luggage delays etc.... but even on elegant night ppl wore shorts, jeans, tank tops, flip flops really. I guess cruise lines have relaxed their attire regulations along with the dining room cut backs. I'm a strong advocate of respecting the dress code, elegant night is a cruising tradition and a lot of people dress up and seem to enjoy it. I found it discouraging that 80% of the ppl wore beach clothing. I feel that shorts are not suited for the dining room. I understand, I'm not a fan of tux, but wear a nice pair of slacks, tie, and collared shirt. That's decent. You don't have to wear a pageant dress. I wore a simple cocktail dress, that didn't weigh a ton or take up too much luggage room. It just really killed the vibe and some of the outfits people wore, to sum it up, I was just simply out done

80% wearing beach clothing in the MDR! Who, you were on the most casual cruise ever.

The point for me is not necessarily what people choose to wear - it's that they feel that the rules don't apply to them!

OK, we're just talking about clothing here, but never the less, there are rules in black and white showing you the required dining room attire.

To me, when people show up in whatever clothing they choose ("it's my vacation, I'll wear what I want"), it shows a total lack of respect for the rules. That's what bothers me the most.

And if you disobey the most basic, simple rule - what other rules do you ignore because "it's your vacation"?

Just for an example, that sometimes it does matter what others wear....the tables for 2 where the outside seat is a chair and the inside seat is along a booth where several tables share the same booth seat... A large man and his wife came in to dinner and were seated next to my husband and I. He had a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and flip flops. He sat on the booth seat next to me and promptly folded up his leg and sat on it with his foot on the bench - and his dirty feet and icky toenails right next to me. YUCK - dinner was over!

We dress up for elegant night, get our pictures taken, eat dinner, and then it's right back to shorts. We could care less what others are wearing. Nothing that someone wears to dinner would ever impact our vacation.

Elegant night is a scam anyway. It's just an opportunity to sell more pictures, and I fall for it every time.

And if you disobey the most basic, simple rule - what other rules do you ignore because "it's your vacation"?

Just for an example, that sometimes it does matter what others wear....the tables for 2 where the outside seat is a chair and the inside seat is along a booth where several tables share the same booth seat... A large man and his wife came in to dinner and were seated next to my husband and I. He had a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and flip flops. He sat on the booth seat next to me and promptly folded up his leg and sat on it with his foot on the bench - and his dirty feet and icky toenails right next to me. YUCK - dinner was over!

And what about the portly gentlemen in his to small tux with his belly bursting through his shirt buttons and smelling of moth balls, or his wife in her ancient mother-of-the-bride dress with her over abundance of breasts spilling onto the table and reeking of cheap perfume.

People tend to point out the ridiculous and the "few" who tend to go overboard.

My experience is that "most" people are clean and presentable, do have manners, and behave accordingly whether wearing walking shorts and a golf shirt or women wearing a sparking tee-shirt (which is prohibited under the rules) and skinny black pants that do her no favors (also not part of suggested attire for women). And the meme about "khakis"...what makes them dress pants (not in my definition). And many women wear strappy sandals without the benefit of a pedicure and their feet are not picture perfect to say the least.

Besides, there is a line about "suggested attire" in the 'CODE' and few follow it...they tend to dress based on their interpretation of the rules.

I don't care a hoot if people want to dress to the nines to pose for over-expensive pictures that in no way capture who they "really" are. That's a choice, and I wouldn't take that away from them.

Carnival has given up trying to be a top tier cruise line.

Now CCL is any one, any where, any time.

That works well for some.

My last CCL cruise, I wore my tux, the rest of my guys were in the same or suits.

We were in the minority, this is CCL's choice to set the bar at that level.

That was 2012.

Want to look awesome with me and my crew join us on the Solstice 12-4-16.

Don't let the haters hate.

The have that on RCCL on quantum class. The Grande is a formal dining room. You must have a jacket to enter and they give them out at the door to men. People rage about it all the time. They do not wish to dress formally but they want the food that is served there. Quite sad really.

How have I not heard of this yet? A true formal dining room. RCCL just got my next cruise booking.

Carnival has given up trying to be a top tier cruise line.

Don't let the haters hate.

No one is "hating" on those who wear formal wear...in fact it tends to be the other way round. And Carnival is now targeting the mass market (which means they sail full ship after ship, week after week) not elitists, and what is so bad about that? If somewhat wants a "traditional and old-fashioned" cruise then they should probably consider spending the money to ensure that they have that experience and not condemn others who choose to vacation much more casually.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

In general I don't care what other people wear on a cruise. In fact it is a good place for laughter as I sit and watch the people go by. BUT, for one or two nights if there is a rule to dress then it should be followed or don't have the rule at all. For one night the guy in the wife beater and hat on backwards can go to the buffet and over eat. I was a teacher so I believe in following rules. If there is a rule you follow it otherwise don't have the rule. Its really simple actually.

In general I don't care what other people wear on a cruise. In fact it is a good place for laughter as I sit and watch the people go by. BUT, for one or two nights if there is a rule to dress then it should be followed or don't have the rule at all. For one night the guy in the wife beater and hat on backwards can go to the buffet and over eat. I was a teacher so I believe in following rules. If there is a rule you follow it otherwise don't have the rule. Its really simple actually.

Then everyone needs to "follow" the rules and that means women as well as men. I find much more deviation from the rules by women...many wear tee-shirts and short skirts that would put beach attire to shame. The code for women: Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you'd like to show off your evening gowns. It says nothing about allowing sparkling tee shirts (they aren't elegant blouses), tights or slacks (that isn't a pant suit), cotton sun dresses, mini skirts, tops that cover little more than a bathing suit.

The wording for "the code" has been around for eons and eons and women have chosen to pretty much wear whatever they want and no one says boo. If men need to follow the code, so should women.

Where are you getting it is a rule? It clearly states it is a suggestion on what too wear.

I would think a teacher would have better reading comprehension skills.

Have no idea what you are talking about. It has not been called "formal night" for years. And by what definition does Carnival have "formal dining rooms"? When the wait staff starts dancing (poorly) to pre-recorded (poorly) songs that were current 10-20 years ago? Is that "formal"? When they make regular, loud announcements reminding me for the tenth time how awesome the staff is? Is that "formal"?