Dining Room Attire

kamari

Carnival has given up trying to be a top tier cruise line.

When did they try to be? We like Carnival (in addition to Celebrity), in fact in our view they have stepped up their game in the last couple of years. But they have never been anything other than one of the mass-market cruise lines.

Have no idea what you are talking about. It has not been called "formal night" for years. And by what definition does Carnival have "formal dining rooms"? When the wait staff starts dancing (poorly) to pre-recorded (poorly) songs that were current 10-20 years ago? Is that "formal"? When they make regular, loud announcements reminding me for the tenth time how awesome the staff is? Is that "formal"?

Conga lines...don't forget conga lines weaving through the DR...napkins a-wavin...nothing says "formal" like a rockin conga line.

Now, Now Loxley, lets not get personal. But since you did lets not play semantics, if you know what that means. You know what we are talking about here. Its obvious you had problems in following rules in school and disdain for teachers. That is not the topic here.

Having a hard time understanding this 'i paid to be here, so i can do as i wish ' attitude. There are all kinds of rules and guidelines on a ship. And just because you paid anything dont mean you get your own set.

And i agree, the guidlines for dinner goes for men and women.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing "special" about clothes. They don't make you prettier or more dashing, smarter or funnier, a good conversationalist. Clothes aren't synonymous with manners, nor do they (any longer) "class" someone up. They don't make an evening special...good friends, a great companion, intelligent company, they make an evening special. Great food isn't even a requirement when you are visiting with people who have something worthwhile to discuss.

This reliance on clothes to make an evening special seems synthetic and oftentimes absurd. Picnics can be special, barbecues can be special, a meal at the local greasy spoon can be special.

Why it is important to some to judge their enjoyment of an evening by the clothes they wear doesn't compute with me.

..and what you state doesn't compute with me, or likely some others either!

Do you know why men wear "black tie" or proper dark suits at formal events? Obviously not!

Enjoy your casual cruising, as I will not be seeing you on any upscale lines any time soon.:cool:

I always enjoy discussions about dining room attire. Opinions are so diverse.

I do dress up on elegant night and I wish everyone did, just for my entertainment. I love seeing everyone that way.....especially families with little kids dressed up. I could hang out in the lobby bar all night watching elegantly dressed people having family photos taken on the grand staircase.

But I am not bothered at all by what anyone wears. I've been on 3 cruises in the past 8 months, all on Carnival, and I really can't remember what one single under-dressed person was wearing.

Why bother. My husband and I were way over dressed each night. I understand people who dress down on the first night due to luggage delays etc.... but even on elegant night ppl wore shorts, jeans, tank tops, flip flops really. I guess cruise lines have relaxed their attire regulations along with the dining room cut backs. I'm a strong advocate of respecting the dress code, elegant night is a cruising tradition and a lot of people dress up and seem to enjoy it. I found it discouraging that 80% of the ppl wore beach clothing. I feel that shorts are not suited for the dining room. I understand, I'm not a fan of tux, but wear a nice pair of slacks, tie, and collared shirt. That's decent. You don't have to wear a pageant dress. I wore a simple cocktail dress, that didn't weigh a ton or take up too much luggage room. It just really killed the vibe and some of the outfits people wore, to sum it up, I was just simply out done

There are other lines that require a more dressy attire for "formal nights". We sail on HAL in December and DH will pack a jacket and tie - I will pack dressy clothes accordingly on that line.

Carnival has a reputation for being casual and laid back - thus their relaxation of their dress code. Not every cruise line fits every demographic.

Edited by summersigh

It is always interesting to me that anyone worries about what someone else is wearing. I recognize that there are many people who don't dress in my style, and that's okay! On a cruise, just like at home--there will be people wearing all sorts of things around me

But if the ship requests "no shorts/no flip flops" that should not be too hard to follow. That's why they have the Lido deck and rooms service available.

People should follow rules for a pleasant experience. Why stop others from having a pleasant experience if you can't follow rules?

Sorry, I cringe when I see crap clothes in the MDR on formal nights. It's called "formal night" not "flip flop night". Now I don't care what you wear the other 22 hours of that day, but show some respect to the tradition. You should be embarrased to walk into a formal dining room dressed down.

I realize that standards have dropped, and for most men now "formal" is dockers and a worn polo shirt. What a sorry state of affairs. Suit up!

This is your night to shine, bring out your best. Ladies, how often do you get the chance to dress like a star and be treated like royalty? (And I guarantee that if you bring your "a" game, nothing is likely to be refused to you.)

The same goes for men, just put a little effort into it. (If all else fails, the crew at any Men's Wearhouse will set you up in a jiff.

Luggage a problem? Please. You drag it from the car to a porter and it shows up in your room. Luggage valets take even less effort.

You see, the point of bringing out your best is that you bring something to the party. I've seem some amazing outfits, traditional kimonos, authentic kilts, all kind of wonderful sartorial expressions. These people added to the night. I say bring back the glamour!

Don't be the bozo who shows up in shorts, if you refuse to play, the buffet is over there....

One word -- "RESPECT"

Where are you getting it is a rule? It clearly states it is a suggestion on what too wear.

I would think a teacher would have better reading comprehension skills.

Actually, you can almost take any word, and make it sound different than what is intended. The word suggestion is used often in place of "harsher" words. Part of society is that most adults know that in certain situations the suggested manner that we should behave in. Does it mean we live in a police state where things are mandatory? No, we do not, however, suggestions are often made and adults generally respect those suggestions.

Is it not suggested that one remain quite during a funeral or somber moment. Is it not suggested that you stand when the honor guard passes? Is it not suggested that you remove your hat indoors? Is it not suggested that a automobile funeral procession is not broken into by someone else?

There are no laws, or rules for those either, but the word suggestion is used and the result is that the adult than "respects" that rule.

Your dress code may be a suggestion, but a respectful adult will follow it.

School teachers understand this use of the word.

I always enjoy discussions about dining room attire. Opinions are so diverse.

I do dress up on elegant night and I wish everyone did, just for my entertainment. I love seeing everyone that way.....especially families with little kids dressed up. I could hang out in the lobby bar all night watching elegantly dressed people having family photos taken on the grand staircase.

But I am not bothered at all by what anyone wears. I've been on 3 cruises in the past 8 months, all on Carnival, and I really can't remember what one single under-dressed person was wearing.

Huh -- interesting that you chose the word "diverse" to describe opinions on dining room attire; they don't seem very "diverse" to me -- pretty much only two sides to this discussion, EVERY TIME, on EVERY THREAD that has ever been started on these boards!

A. "We want formal/dressy nights, the rules say wear formal/dressy clothes, cruising traditionally involved dressing up, so do it, you scurvy slobs! "

and

Z. "We want to dress casually, we don't care about the "rules," we've paid our fare like everybody else, we're young and modern, this is our cruise, and we will wear what we like, you putrifying elitists!"

Have I got it about right? :p

Not much of a spectrum... ;)

This is the case, and I was born in the wrong time period. Unfortunately I think there is no going back. I would love to see any cruise line start a formal, not cruise elegant, but formal dining room. I know that most people would not, but I would pay extra for this dining room. I also expect that it would become very popular as a venue in which you must dress to attend.

People are funny, I bet they would flock to a new thing that they could have done for free.

I would just love that...fond memories of Star Princess Inaugural with TA friend.

I just got back from an 8 day on the Valor. I did not see one person inappropriately dressed in the MDR on elegant nights.

Wonderful...my last cruise too long ago was on Spirit over Easter weekend before her trip to Aussie land. So many people on that 5 day...tons of kids...Cabo...and so many dressed to nines..it helps to focus on who does follow the rules if you like them ..LOVE JUST PEOPLE WATCHING ALL DRESSED UP FRIENDS COUPLES AND FAMILIES.:)..NOT YELLING..EMPHASIZING:o.

Ah, the times have indeed changed. As a mature gentleman who has been cruising for many years now, on several cruise lines (some with more strict dress codes than Carnival) I can relate to the OP feelings. Do I overdress? Probably. I do pack a Tuxedo (partly because I have one and seek opportunities to wear it...and it still fits!) I cruise Carnival at least two (2) times a year, and I have seen things becoming more and more relaxed. In fairness, I see this on other lines too however. Once I got upset by this, but the bottom line is, I like life on a cruise ship. One reason I like Carnival is that they really are the "Fun Ships"....so I go to have fun. On several occasions, my being more dressed up has opened the door to conversation with other passengers. I have no problem sharing time with a man or woman in shorts and tank tops when I am in a jacket. They are relaxed and on vacation, I am relaxed and on vacation. For me, I would not be comfortable in shorts and flip flops, and therefore would not be enjoying my vacation. My advice would be to go with what you want. The guidelines now seem to be suggestions only. Go and enjoy.

This is awesome, and my sentiments exactly! I've only been on one cruise, I'm not yet 30, and I'm TOTALLY going to go formal on elegant night! I am planning on going shopping just for that! I hardly ever get to cruise, so it's really special to me. I'm pumped to get all dressed up, BUT don't mind one bit if folks around me don't want to.

You do you, cruisers. Happy cruising! :)

We were actually shocked at how dressed up the majority of passengers were this past week on Elation. I barely remember a few who were under dressed. Most men even had ties and jackets! I was thinking about only wearing my sports coat but was glad I wore the tie once I saw how everyone else was dressed. My family enjoys getting dressed up. I did feel bad for the few wives/girlfriends who were dressed to the nines yet their boyfriends/husbands looked like they barely made an effort i.e. "dressy" t-shirt and jeans. I think things like this ebb and flow. One day it may even be back to tuxedos.

Carnival has given up trying to be a top tier cruise line.

They never tried to be "top tier" in the first place so how could they possibly give up on something that was never in their intentions from the start?

If you are looking for "top tier" I would look more toward Cunard, or one of the smaller all inclusive luxury lines.

Edited by ryano

When did they try to be? We like Carnival (in addition to Celebrity), in fact in our view they have stepped up their game in the last couple of years. But they have never been anything other than one of the mass-market cruise lines.

Oops. I should have read your post before posting :o This ^^^^^

This is your night to shine, bring out your best. Ladies, how often do you get the chance to dress like a star and be treated like royalty? ....

As a lady, I get to dress "like a star" anytime I want. I don't need a cruise to create a faux special occasion in order to dress up. Seriously, it's my clothes, my body, and my life. If I want to dress up and eat at the nearest casual dining restaurant, I can do it. My evening gown will go over big at the Olive Garden (which is the equivalent of the MDR).

But if the ship requests "no shorts/no flip flops" that should not be too hard to follow. That's why they have the Lido deck and rooms service available.

People should follow rules for a pleasant experience. Why stop others from having a pleasant experience if you can't follow rules?

I don't get how what someone else is wearing could stop you from having a pleasant experience. Could you explain it please?

I would like to see dress codes enforced but the thing that bothers me most is men sitting down to eat in dinning room with baseball cap on and not removing them. I'm from the south and you remove any hat before sitting at the table to eat.

It's not just a southern thing. My son who was born and raised in Colorado always removes his hat when at a restaurant. Whether it's the fanciest restaurant or In 'n Out. And no, no one reminds him. He just knows. :)

I don't get how what someone else is wearing could stop you from having a pleasant experience. Could you explain it please?

If the clown in the wife beater and the camouflage hat is sitting at at my assigned table.

I've mentioned this previously in a similar thread. On a Pride cruise two years ago, my wife and I were at a table for two near the entrance for the 6:00 seating. In a booth for four very close two us was a young couple, maybe upper 20's, dressed neatly, both in shorts as were we. Just them that night. It was first night.

The next night was elegant night. They were back - he in slacks and a collared shirt, she in a skirt and top. They looked fine, even for elegant night - neatly dressed. This night, their table mates arrived for dinner. The couple was about the same age. He in droopy NBA basketball uniform shorts, matching sleeveless basketball jersey, and matching team hat - kept on during dinner. She was in Daisey Duke length shorts and cropped top with belly so pleasantly showing. The other couple did not come back to the dining room (or maybe just that table) for the rest of the cruise.

That's how the way someone dresses can keep someone from having a pleasant experience. Get it now?

And what about the portly gentlemen in his to small tux with his belly bursting through his shirt buttons and smelling of moth balls, or his wife in her ancient mother-of-the-bride dress with her over abundance of breasts spilling onto the table and reeking of cheap perfume.

People tend to point out the ridiculous and the "few" who tend to go overboard.

Can't say in any of my travels that I have ever seen 1) belly bursting tuxedos; 2) smelling of mothballs; 3) ancient mother of the bride dresses; or 4) abundance of breasts spilling onto the table. Sounds like a bit of exaggeration there...

My fungus-toed, foot on the bench man was not made up.