Lifeboat incident on Breakaway

It is my understanding this wasn't a lifeboat but a MOB Boat (Man Over Board)or fast rescue boat?

Aren't they designed to be lowered much quicker than a lifeboat?

Yes I know that there was a failure and not designed to be lowered that quickly as a free fall.

A MOB boat is not lowered all that much faster than a lifeboat. They are quicker to deploy than a lifeboat.

I think this would still be considered a freak accident.

How sad for those poor crew members and their families.

Prayers to all concerned and sympathy to the family of the deceased crew member

When I say it's not that much of a freak accident, I mean that it is not all that uncommon in the maritime industry. Serious injuries and deaths caused during lifeboat training is about the second leading cause among mariners.

A MOB boat is not lowered all that much faster than a lifeboat. They are quicker to deploy than a lifeboat.

When I say it's not that much of a freak accident, I mean that it is not all that uncommon in the maritime industry. Serious injuries and deaths caused during lifeboat training is about the second leading cause among mariners.

What's the first cause?

Very sad !!! law suit coming $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pretty cold. Depending on the findings of the Bermuda and Bahamas maritime authorities, your use of dollar signs may be incorrect.

Pretty cold. Depending on the findings of the Bermuda and Bahamas maritime authorities, your use of dollar signs may be incorrect.

Normally it's weather or the crew does something stupid, I will wait for the findings.

CaptDave

A 2nd. crew member, also 41 years old Filipino, has been flown to the U.S. mainland for treatment, according to the Royal Gazette's news this morning. The name of the deceased crew member has been published, meaning the family had been notified and informed. The other 2 injuried has been discharged from the hospital. Wishing all of them a speedy recovery and that they will get the necessary time off with pay.

This is the picture of the overturned rescue boat after it was towed, said RG.

The RG news update is here (and, there are some very interesting comments in yesterday's article, raising some troublesome questions, in my mind) http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160722/deceased-cruise-ship-worker-named

Edited by mking8288

A 2nd. crew member, also 41 years old Filipino, has been flown to the U.S. mainland for treatment, according to the Royal Gazette's news this morning. The name of the deceased crew member has been published, meaning the family had been notified and informed. The other 2 injuried has been discharged from the hospital. Wishing all of them a speedy recovery and that they will get the necessary time off with pay.

This is the picture of the overturned rescue boat after it was towed, said RG.

The RG news update is here (and, there are some very interesting comments in yesterday's article, raising some troublesome questions, in my mind) http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160722/deceased-cruise-ship-worker-named

I assume you are referring to the comments posted about the article? Frankly, until I hear that the BMA or Bermuda have found a failure of the equipment, I will hold off on any finger pointing at NCL. A fairly common accident with rescue boats is having the release lanyard get caught on something while lowering, or get caught on the crew's safety harness.

Comments like the one about not being able to lower a boat because of a "winch problem" amuse me, because the boats are required to be able to be lowered with nothing more than gravity. Lifeboats are designed for a one way trip, down. They are not very maneuverable, especially when light with no people in it, but that's not what they are designed for. That's why there is a rescue boat.

Not sure if anyone saw the sail away today on the port cam but they were waving the Philippine flag as the Breakaway sailed off.

Very touching. Just goes to prove even more what a welcoming place Bermuda is and how wonderful their residents are.

For anyone that missed it, the Dockyard folks updated and shared the news & port webcam images on their *B link page, easy to find - also mentioned in the Bermuda forum earlier.

You know you can say Facebook, right? :rolleyes:

You can even link to it! Gasp!

https://www.facebook.com/Royal-Naval-Dockyard-Bermuda-264447005016/#

Edited by triptolemus

You know you can say Facebook, right? :rolleyes: You can even link to it! Gasp!

:D For real. It is actually at this related site, a touchy subject for some. There's a fairly detailed description by Willy F. on what happened, based on his source. A crew from a tourboat was nearby and among the first to render aid and jump in to assist.

Silence is gold ... sometimes.

I'm on the breakaway pulling into NYC now.

The lifeboat accident was terrible. The single cable that lifts the boat Broke. It looks very frayed. It was below my cabin.

Also, a coast guard plane and helicopter came to the ship at sea yesterday to remove an ill passenger.

An entertainer told me another pax died after a stroke. That person said this was the most eventful cruise in their 9 years of work.

Ok, a few comments about this, if the fall did indeed part, which will be both positive and negative for NCL. Unfortunately, these wires, in a marine environment, do fail without warning, which is why there are statutory requirements for periodic inspections and renewal every 5 years, regardless of condition. While NCL may have been trying to make the training and drill as close to a real emergency as possible, as mandated by SOLAS, best industry practice is to have fall arrest gear on crew being lowered in a boat.

So, in my opinion, provided that there is no evidence of not maintaining the wire, I don't see any fault of NCL there, but their training procedures need review with regards to crew safety during drills.

As I said before, lifeboat training is so dangerous that the IMO has made specific recommendations to improve safety in 2009.

Hello all.

We just returned from Bermuda on a parallel trip to the Breakaway on the Celebrity Summit. We were parked next to the BA this past week. The crew as well as the passengers on the X ship were visibly shaken and disturbed by the accident. The lifeboat and the deceased crew member floated over to a pirate ship that is moored right next to the BA. It was filled with families having a fun time "walking the plank" to jump into the harbor. Another excursion catamaran rushed over to retrieve the injured crew members. It was horrifying.

A few days following the accident, out of respect for the deceased NCL employee, there were simultaneous moments of silence observed as well as concurrent horn blasts from both ships. Prayers went out to the families of the involved employees as well as their co-workers. It was very touching.

• 1 month later...

Just read breaking news that a similar tragedy has occurred on the Harmony of the Seas in Marseilles. Life boat fell with a number of crew members on board. 1 dead. Several injured, a couple of them critically. So sad....

I did not see a similar classy send off by the local port people the way Willy Freeman of Bermuda did though when the Breakaway left port....watching that on the Port Bermuda Webcam FB page nearly did me in...condolences to families of these hardworking crew members.