Cabin searched on Escape

BuckeyeFan03

It's the passenger's own fault the trunks and card went missing. Why should he accept zero personal responsibility while NCL shoulders all of the losses?

The reason I suggested the obc is because of the invasive search of his personal belongings

If the pax had made an issue about this unneeded search then its not such a big deal for ncl to just bite the bullet and say they were sorry for the inconvenience and perhaps throw him the obc as a bone

Just good Cust service. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Crusin6

So here are my thoughts

1) If I were NCL, I would just say "Hey, couldn't find your shorts or CC, cancel your card, sorry we tried though!"

2) If NCL came and knocked on my cabin door and said "We want to search your cabin for the missing card" I would have said "No, it's ok, no need to go to that measure, we will simply cancel our card."

3) I wouldn't expect NCL to do anything for them, as it's the guest's fault that they lost/misplaced their personal belongings, but it would have been a nice gesture to offer a few internet minutes to cancel the card online, since it costs them nothing to offer that.

Well that was my thinking as well and as I posted above...the $25 obc might just be in consideration of the fact that ncl went a bit over the top with the search

The time and effort that ncl put into this "search" seems inefficient when a few internet minutes were the answer. Lol

The reason I suggested the obc is because of the invasive search of his personal belongings
OK, thanks (that is not at all the way I understood your earlier message). I agree that the OP's description of the wallet search sounds like calculated harassment, and I would have sought some explanation.

Security then came to his cabin and had him write up some type of incident report detailing what had happened.

After he turned this report in, 2 crew members came to his cabin wearing gloves and stated they needed to search the cabin.

Well that was my thinking as well and as I posted above...the $25 obc might just be in consideration of the fact that ncl went a bit over the top with the search

The time and effort that ncl put into this "search" seems inefficient when a few internet minutes were the answer. Lol

look what I bolded in the OPs quote.

I wonder if they ASKED to search or "STATED" they were searching. If the family had no choice in denying this search, then this is RIDICULOUS. However, if NCL asked, then it becomes more grey, although I do agree the action of going through someone's wallet without asking is :eek: - It's like whenever I had professional movers pack stuff up, they were ALWAYS asking before they touched something SUPER personal, and a wallet is really personal.

The notion that they won't look n the laundry unless you consent to a search is absurd. Just check the laundry. Or don't, and say "sorry we don't do that. Too much trouble." Saying, we will check it, but only if you let us go through your wallet is absurd. Maybe say, "can you please double check your wallets before we go to the trouble," but this is ridiculous.

OK, thanks (that is not at all the way I understood your earlier message). I agree that the OP's description of the wallet search sounds like calculated harassment, and I would have sought some explanation.

Exactly.....however it does make some sense that if they are looking for a credit card that they check the wallet...but in this case...

All they needed to ask was....could you have possibly handed it to your wife to put in her wallet?

I'm thinking the crew they sent in has no authority at all.....

They would probably be harassed by their supervisors if they didn't search every nook and cranny of the cabin

The notion that they won't look n the laundry unless you consent to a search is absurd. Just check the laundry. Or don't, and say "sorry we don't do that. Too much trouble." Saying, we will check it, but only if you let us go through your wallet is absurd. Maybe say, "can you please double check your wallets before we go to the trouble," but this is ridiculous.

You are forgetting who we are dealing with here....its ncl!!!! Lol

Twice now, once last year on the Getaway and on June 15 on the Escape we have returned back to our cabin to find several officers going through our cabin without our prior knowledge, both on port days as it was. We had not reported anything missing, nor had we reported any problems with something inside our cabin. This last time they were taking pictures as well. They all had the SURPRISE look on their faces, as if they never expect the cabin occupants to walk in while doing this. My husband was not happy, so down to guest services we go to ask about it. Took them a full day to even acknowledge we wanted some explanation. Turns out, its standard protocol for NCL to do random steward efficiency checks and they will enter your room at any time they feel necessary. We thought they should have a better system than that, so suggested they print that info on their dallies so all passengers would be aware of it and to possibly expect such a thing during their cruise. Granted those cabins are their possession, but when you pay XXX$$$ you tend to feel that it is yours for the duration. If it's happened to us twice in three sailings, don't think it might not happen to you. The other thing that we realized was that our cabin steward had to do a crew drill that same morning so of course he got backed up with his usual duties for the day, so they likely were strictly try to catch him slacking off on his duties because of it. We felt bad for him. like he was set up!

this is unbelievable. :eek:

ok, maybe not illegal, but maritime law is different than law on land.. That was the jist of my point... But if you give them the ok to do what they came to do, they will.. Learning experience for all... Just say no!

You are confusing maritime law and flag state law. Maritime law applies to instances and actions external to the ship, and is international, while procedures and policies within the ship are governed by the laws of the flag state. So the laws of the Bahamas are what would determine whether the search was legal or not, if consent had not been given.

I recently returned from our trip on the Escape and had an odd experience that I thought I'd get CC's take on.

When returning to the ship in St. Thomas, my father accidentally returned his swim trunks along with his towel in the towel exchange. The trunks had a credit card in the pocket. The next day, he realized his mistake and went down to guest services to see if anything could be done.

Guest services said they could only check the lost and found. So, he also called and spoke with security to see if there was any area where it may turn up in the laundry.

Security then came to his cabin and had him write up some type of incident report detailing what had happened.

After he turned this report in, 2 crew members came to his cabin wearing gloves and stated they needed to search the cabin. They began going through every item they had brought including items in the safe. They then went through my father's wallet and pulled out each item asking if that was the missing card. The crew members didn't appear familiar with credit cards and didn't seem to understand that it was a specific type that was missing or that some things in a wallet aren't a credit card (pictures, club cards, frequent shopper cards).

Then the crew members went to start in my mother's purse which holds an extensive wallet. When they began pulling out each picture, he lost his patience and asked them to stop the search. They said they would stop the search, but this would also stop any attempts to locate the card in the laundry.

He was able to cancel the card when we returned to Miami and all is fine. We all understood that losing something in the massive laundry room may be hopeless, but it struck us as odd that they had to perform a detailed cabin search when he knew exactly what items were missing and where they went missing.

Wondered if anyone else has ever had a similar experience?

I actually had a similar search done in our stateroom a few years ago - after I reported a very nice watch missing from the cabin. I remembered wearing it when we came back to our cabin the evening before, and then the next afternoon I couldn't find it anywere - I checked "everywhere". It was a gift from my husband and very special to me, so I reported it to security - stating that I had no idea where it was (being very careful about not "pointing fingers" at anyone in particular - all though there had been a lot of "traffic" by crew members to our cabin earlier that day because of extra cleaning of the cabin ordered by our room stewards supervisor, because the current room steward only had been on board for a couple of days and it was the previous room steward who had done the cleaning on embarkation day, and he had done a very bad job). I stated that I was certain I was wearing the watch when we returned to the cabin the previous evening, and that it now was missing.

So then three persons from security staff showed up, one of them a supervisor, and they stated that they wanted to do a complete search of the cabin before they went further with the investigation, and that I needed to be present during the search.

And I am so happy they did conduct that search instead of "just taking my word for it", because they ended up finding the "missing" watch in the pocket of one of the bathrobes hanging in the bathroom. Needless to say that I was embarrassed, but if they hadn't conducted that search the way they did, the watch would probably not have been found (as it turned out to be my own fault of misplacing that watch).....

And I am pretty certain I am not the first one that was wrong in my "suspicions" about reporting something missing - so there is a reason behind the search they do. Just so that they can rule out it being misplaced instead of lost. And in my case the officers conducting the search was very polite and extremely professional the entire time.

Edited by TrumpyNor

Twice now, once last year on the Getaway and on June 15 on the Escape we have returned back to our cabin to find several officers going through our cabin without our prior knowledge, both on port days as it was. We had not reported anything missing, nor had we reported any problems with something inside our cabin. This last time they were taking pictures as well. They all had the SURPRISE look on their faces, as if they never expect the cabin occupants to walk in while doing this. My husband was not happy, so down to guest services we go to ask about it. Took them a full day to even acknowledge we wanted some explanation. Turns out, its standard protocol for NCL to do random steward efficiency checks and they will enter your room at any time they feel necessary. We thought they should have a better system than that, so suggested they print that info on their dallies so all passengers would be aware of it and to possibly expect such a thing during their cruise. Granted those cabins are their possession, but when you pay XXX$$$ you tend to feel that it is yours for the duration. If it's happened to us twice in three sailings, don't think it might not happen to you. The other thing that we realized was that our cabin steward had to do a crew drill that same morning so of course he got backed up with his usual duties for the day, so they likely were strictly try to catch him slacking off on his duties because of it. We felt bad for him. like he was set up!

I think what happened was a check like this one on HAL Rotterdam http://www.npo.nl/een-wereld-op-zee/19-06-2013/POW_00679804 at 2:24

When I watched that episode I was thinking the Hotel Manager did a really good job. I don't think there's another way to check the performance of Room Stewards during the voyage.

I've walked many times into my cabin to find someone cleaning or making the bed. Didn't feel like they were doing a cabin search either. :)

I'd assume every cruise passenger has returned to their cabin to find someone making up their room at some point or another while cruising. This was Not what was happening these two times. I've been on well over 75 cruises in the past 25 years on all the major cruise lines and this has only happened to me on NCL. We've experienced plumbing problems, strange noises, safe not working properly, what have you, especially on the older ships. Every other occasion we HAD to wait inside our cabin and physically be present for them to be allowed into our cabin to perform the necessary inspection, repairs, etc. Just thought I'd pass along the info as others might want to be aware of the possibility of it occurring during their cruise.

We've experienced plumbing problems, strange noises, safe not working properly, what have you, especially on the older ships. Every other occasion we HAD to wait inside our cabin and physically be present for them to be allowed into our cabin to perform the necessary inspection, repairs, etc.

Problems with safes and strange noises probably do often need the reporting guest to point it out.

However, I did report a toilet that wouldn't flush once at Guest Relations. Then got ourselves a nice Martini and upon returning to the cabin it was fixed.

A letter that explains that the Hotel Manager checked your room (not a search, just checking for dust on the TV and the right angle of cushions) might be nice, but with so many stewards whose work needs to be checked somehow that's a lot of paper... :)

Nothing illegal or wrong about this situation. The consent was given for the NCL crew to enter the cabin. They opened up the safe and allowed to see the wallet all in the presence of the ship's guest. As some have pointed out, NCL has had a successful track record of finding things in the safe while guests mistakenly report it missing. I see this procedure as not an intrusion but to protect one of its guests and assisting them find a missing card. Noting wrong or illegal.

Now, lets say the NCL guest refused to answer the door or told the NCL crew to leave their cabin immediately. My guess is that the crew would have honored that request and left but reminded the guest to check the safe and wallet, etc. I would not see NCL security pushing such an issue for a missing card.

But I imagine cruise lines have wide latitude for searches of cabins. Remember this is NOT your house and NOT your ship. You are not in the United States where land laws apply. I am versed in maritime law a little but not enough to know for sure. I am sure when you sign a cruise contract to sail, you are subject to lots of things a cruise line needs to do to secure their ship and property. I imagine for emergency situations a cruise line can search a cabin at any time. I bet they rarely need to and use discretion to do so. NCL like any cruise line can refuse to let you on the ship, search your cabin, and remove you from their ship for any reason they deem necessary. YOU ARE A GUEST SAILING WITH THEM.

Back to the OP post. This was a consensual entry into the cabin. At no time did the occupants demand NCL employees leave. Since this was not a security or safety reason, I bet they would have left the cabin. I see NCL trying to assist their guest on this one.

Edited by david_sobe