Possible upgrade stateroom question??????

portcbob

Hi folks.

My wife and I have a 25 night repositioning cruise booked for later in this year on the golden princess. We presently have a bb mid ships balcony cabin booked on Baja deck 11.

We now have the opportunity to move to emerald deck 8, aft mini suite for very minimal cost.

Torn between balcony 11 mid ships or aft mini suite deck 8.

Hard decision for us, what do you experienced princess cruisers think?????

Regards bob.

In my experience, the difference between a midship cabin and an aft cabin in terms of motion is overplayed. Yes, it is there, but unless you have very rough seas it is not enough to make a difference. You go to an aft dining room, and aft buffet, a far forward theatre, etc. We've cruised in the farthest aft cabin--no issues at all. We've also cruised midship.

Motion on a ship is also height determined--the higher the deck, the more motion.

If the price is right, I'd take the mini.

I'd take the Emerald deck mini in a heartbeat. Covered, very private balcony. I've had quite a few mini's in that area and loved the cabin and location. I'd book it over midship cabin any day but then I'm in the minority and won't book a mid-ship cabin.

Emerald Deck aft mini-suites are one of the best kept secrets on the Grand Class ships. They are the only mini-suites that have covered balconies. All of the balconies on deck 9 are open. We have stayed in them five times, and we have booked them for future cruises.

The mini-suite benefits are the same as those on deck 9. These can be found on the website. If you have sailed in a balcony cabin, you will like the extra room of a mini-suite. On deck 8 there is little foot traffic in the hallway and the aft elevators are not as crowded, except at dinner time.

The location can have a few negatives. Any stateroom in the stern of the ship is subject to vibration while docking or leaving the pier. We have never found this to be a big problem, but we always knew when the ship was docking.

The location above the Vista Lounge wasn't a problem because that lounge isn't used as a nightclub.

They are our preference when booking with Princess. I recommend you take the upgrade.

I'd take the Emerald deck mini in a heartbeat. Covered, very private balcony. I've had quite a few mini's in that area and loved the cabin and location. I'd book it over midship cabin any day but then I'm in the minority and won't book a mid-ship cabin.

I'm with Pam. Always love those mini-suites.

The location can have a few negatives. Any stateroom in the stern of the ship is subject to vibration while docking or leaving the pier. We have never found this to be a big problem, but we always knew when the ship was docking.

I can't say this with scientific precision, but I've felt the same level of vibration in every cabin we've had, except perhaps our Baja deck interior on the Crown. That includes B225 on Coral, E725 on Sapphire, a midship mini (therefore Dolphin deck) on Grand, C749 on Ruby, a mid-forward mini (Dolphin) on Ruby, and a mid-forward interior on Crown.

That said, when the Ruby brought us into Victoria and we were in Botticelli, there was no need to toss the salad, as the shuddering shake from the engines in reverse was enough to ruin any stirred martini and toss any salad.

Hi folks.

My wife and I have a 25 night repositioning cruise booked for later in this year on the golden princess. We presently have a bb mid ships balcony cabin booked on Baja deck 11.

We now have the opportunity to move to emerald deck 8, aft mini suite for very minimal cost.

Torn between balcony 11 mid ships or aft mini suite deck 8.

Hard decision for us, what do you experienced princess cruisers think?????

Regards bob.

How are you with motion.

You'll feel it more aft than you will midship.

If that's not an issue grab the mini.

Oh one other consideration the mini will have the shower over the tub, for me that's a deal breaker as I have mobility issues that make climbing in the tub difficult at times.

Edited by GUT2407
Add oh....

In my experience' date=' the difference between a midship cabin and an aft cabin in terms of motion is overplayed. Yes, it is there, but unless you have very rough seas it is not enough to make a difference. You go to an aft dining room, and aft buffet, a far forward theatre, etc. We've cruised in the farthest aft cabin--no issues at all. We've also cruised midship.

Motion on a ship is also height determined--the higher the deck, the more motion.

If the price is right, I'd take the mini.[/quote']

I completely agree .... take the mini. On such a long cruise, you will love having the extra space!!