Do away with honoring different fare schedules?

evandbob

My concern would be that if the cruise lines agreed to automatically credit you for a decrease in the fare then they would also add a codicil to the contract reserving the right to automatically charge you if the fare increases. At least the way it is now we don't have to deal with that, and if vigilant, can still take the decreases.

Probably not likely - I can't even think of an example where that has been done, after a deposit is made... At least without using a "fuel surcharge"-type of gimmick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably not likely - I can't even think of an example where that has been done, after a deposit is made... At least without using a "fuel surcharge"-type of gimmick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're right, it's not done now, but price drops are not "automatically" given either. Make that happen and let's see what changes. The fact that it doesn't happen up to this point doesn't mean the cruise lines can't change the wording on future contracts and add that clause.

Question is... What is your time worth? How much do you get paid per hour. Let's say $17.50/hr It takes you 4 minutes per day to check the price. If you check every day for 6 months that's roughly 720 minutes or 12 hours. At your hourly rate the price drop would need to be $210 to break even.

For most people it won't be worth it at their hourly rate.

However... alternatively if checking the fare is sort of a fun game, part of the whole "cruise experience" than really it's like adding a whole extra 12 hours to your cruise experience!

For me, that's what it is. I check my fare and hit the forums while on lunch at work. So really since I booked 680 days out (or 97 weeks), I hit the forums say 30 minutes per Mon-Fri (2.5 hrs per week) that's an extra 242 hours or 10 days. So my 7 day cruise is really 17 days!!!!

(It's not of course, but I enjoy this part too so why not!)

Everyone should decide what their time is worth and decide accordingly.

BTW, an airline ticket isn't any where near what a cruise costs us.

- Depends on where you are flying from! For my family of 4 flying from Toronto to Florida, is more expensive than the week of cruising!

I've been retired for almost 4 years now - but I'm away a lot and don't always stay wired when I go to a resort or on a cruise.

I would rather get the absolutely lowest price when I book or have the cruise line automatically issue a credit if the fare decreases.

What cruise line does that? Or for that matter, what airline?

Thinking cruise lines will simply hand you a price drop without you doing the required checking and paperwork is a total non-starter. Why would they when the saving cuts into their revenue? You want a deal, it's up to you to go find out on your own.

I appreciate everyone's responses, even the totally inane one accusing me of wanting a motive to blame Carnival. All that showed was a lack of reading comprehension on that poster's part.

I realize change is hard, and we naturally cling to our normal behavioral routines. I just find it amazing that in our data driven economy, cruise lines can't find a simpler way of dealing with price drops. Yes, I love them, I said that in my original post.

Yes, I use a travel agent when I have complicated plans like a land and sea tour combined in Alaska, the Med, or for a 6 week vacation in Australia and New Zealand. I forego a TA for a simple Caribbean cruise.

Maybe getting automatic fare reductions can be worked into the details of Carnival's next version Loyalty Club for Platinum's and Diamond cruisers?

The only way I'd be okay with the price you book at is the price you pay is if Carnival did away with all of these sales and price drops.

One price - no matter when you book or who you book through - that's what everyone is paying.

As long as there are a variety of sales and fares, then I like that by booking early saver (with the restrictions and penalties), that I can apply for price drops.

I would also prefer that they don't do things "automatically". I haven't had great experiences with Carnival's shoreside staff and I don't believe that they would get things correct 90% of the time. My parents have an accessible cabin and everytime I called in for a price drop, I had to argue to keep the same cabin.

I would personally prefer if the cruise lines would adopt a one price policy. All this bologna about choosing VIFP, Past Guest, Fun Select, Sun, Fun & Savings, 55+ years old, Military/Select Promo, State of Residency promos, Early Saver, etc. Did I forget any? Then, you have to remember to keep checking and re-checking, ad nauseum, your booked rate and beat yourself up if you missed a discount that was offered on the web site between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. Then you read about someone grabbing a better rate with upgrades, OBC's, etc., and you feel even worse. The rate structure can be confusing if you're a newbie and it doesn't have to be. Just make it easy on everyone, including Carnival employees, one size fits all. If you want to get riled up about anything, take a good look at the VIFP perks.

I would also like it if Carnival would build in the gratuities to my established rate. Then you don't have to worry if it's too little or too much, should I shave some off at Guest Services before I disembark on the last day, are the crew members that are busing tables in the Lido buffet getting any portion of my gratuities, who gets more, who gets less, blah, blah, blah.

We always book a year or more in advance, choose the stateroom that we want and never check rates after I book. I don't care if they go up or down, OBC, no OBC, it's a PITA. I have better things to do with my time. To some cruisers, it's all about the hunt and bragging rights. We shouldn't have to worry if we're getting the best deal... the best deal should be offered every day, for everyone. If the price drops before you cruise, everyone should get the price drop. Can you imagine how many travel advisers Carnival can terminate if they offered one price shopping. The only differentiation in fares from one person to another should be location of your stateroom, just as it is now.

I would also like it if Carnival would build in the gratuities to my established rate. Then you don't have to worry if it's too little or too much, should I shave some off at Guest Services before I disembark on the last day, are the crew members that are busing tables in the Lido buffet getting any portion of my gratuities, who gets more, who gets less, blah, blah, blah.

You already know how much grats are when you book your cruise. You can prepay them. Just add that to your payment and forget about them, just like you say you do about the cost of the cruise. No "worry" then. Doesn't seem difficult.

I would personally prefer if the cruise lines would adopt a one price policy. All this bologna about choosing VIFP, Past Guest, Fun Select, Sun, Fun & Savings, 55+ years old, Military/Select Promo, State of Residency promos, Early Saver, etc. Did I forget any? Then, you have to remember to keep checking and re-checking, ad nauseum, your booked rate and beat yourself up if you missed a discount that was offered on the web site between 2:00 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. Then you read about someone grabbing a better rate with upgrades, OBC's, etc., and you feel even worse. The rate structure can be confusing if you're a newbie and it doesn't have to be. Just make it easy on everyone, including Carnival employees, one size fits all. If you want to get riled up about anything, take a good look at the VIFP perks.

It's called marketing

We always book a year or more in advance, choose the stateroom that we want and never check rates after I book. I don't care if they go up or down, OBC, no OBC, it's a PITA. I have better things to do with my time. To some cruisers, it's all about the hunt and bragging rights. We shouldn't have to worry if we're getting the best deal... the best deal should be offered every day, for everyone. If the price drops before you cruise, everyone should get the price drop. Can you imagine how many travel advisers Carnival can terminate if they offered one price shopping. The only differentiation in fares from one person to another should be location of your stateroom, just as it is now.

One easy price for all can also mean if the price goes up after you booked, then you should pay more too to stay with the latest pricing. Fair is fair and it should apply both ways. No?

Drops from the airlines are like cruise drops. It depends on the fare you book. Not all are eligible.

Great point. From my experience, the lowest cruise fares and airline tickets are not refundable. I think all airlines offer refundable fares, as do cruise lines.

Absolutely not! I often book early to guarantee I get the room and location I want. I should be able to take advantage of rate drops - which is one of the guarantees of ES - thus an incentive to book it. IMHE, popular cruises like at holidays or from ports with limited cruises, usually the price goes nowhere but up, but on less popular - like Canada in NY, I have seen my largest price drop ever at $160 pp.