Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Great pictures. Great repair work. Thanks

Got an e-mail from Oscar at 3 Hermanos and they are ready to take fisherman out. We'll be there in February and my husband can't wait to go wade fishing in the flats for bonefish and permit. If anyone is interested in fishing in Cozumel this is a great outfit.

I am completely psyched!! I can't wait to go to Cozumel, and REALLY can't wait to take my kids to Paradise Beach!! If you're still giving away trips on the 24th, let me know before Saturday, and I'll be sure to be the 1st off the ship..........if not, 7am's a little early, when I can relax and doze a little longer.:p

Hi tom

We love the pictures . the little bambino is so adorable , CONGRATS !!!

We will be seeing you on December 1st :) , finally got a definite yes that the Legend of the Seas will be there .

I have a can of spaghettos already packed for Solita , anything you need or just would love to have ?

We have twin 4 year old girls so hopefully you can pick us out of the crowd . I attached a pic .

Oh , darn . I'll have to send a recent one later , my Adobe photoshop is down :(

Nice pics Tom! The beach is looking great... and your baby's pretty cute too! ;o)

For anyone that is interested: I've posted a story and some photos of the party downtown on my site today, see "Cozumel Celebrates" at www.wilmacozumel.com

It is true that tenders started using Puerta Maya today also, just for one ship at the moment... I'm hoping to do a fuller report on the piers later this week - so hopefully I'll be able to answer questions about how long they will take to repair fully etc, etc.

Feel free to register on my site if you want to receive email updates.

Best wishes from Cozumel (with ships!)

Ian

Has anyone thought about this latest tropical storm? Is there any chance it's going near Cozumel? Is there any chance it's going to ruin my well planned Western Carib cruise next week?:o

The latest from the National Hurricane Center is looks as if it will be a hurricane stricking south of Belize around Sunday.

Tom, we will there next week on the Glory. Definitly will come visit PB.

The latest from the National Hurricane Center is looks as if it will be a hurricane stricking south of Belize around Sunday.

Yeah, I saw the path through Sunday. We're supposed to be in Belize a week from tomorrow, Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday and I'm wondering if our itinerary is going to be disrupted?!:confused:

Yeah, I saw the path through Sunday. We're supposed to be in Belize a week from tomorrow, Wednesday and Cozumel on Thursday and I'm wondering if our itinerary is going to be disrupted?!:confused:

The latest news (as of 11:15am Pascific Time) is showing it fizzling out and that it probably won't even be a "named" storm.

Hi all

It doesn't look too menacing at the moment, the latest advisory is below.

It looks like it might be blowing itself out already, but you can see various forecasts here too: http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200527_model.html

Ian

www.wilmacozumel.com

Tropical Depression Twenty-Seven Discussion Number 11

Statement as of 10:00 am EST on November 16, 2005

morning visible imagery shows that Tropical Depression Twenty-Sevenhas lost its closed circulation. The remnant vorticity maximum ismoving 270/15...and should continue this general motion for another12-24 hr before being absorbed by a much larger...and developing...low pressure area over the southwestern Caribbean Sea.

This is the last advisory on this system from the National HurricaneCenter. While the system will be monitored for signs ofregenration...that does not appear likely at this time.

Forecaster Beven

The water is getting cooler now, but you should be fine with a 3mm wetsuit - a long one if you feel the cold easily... some people still dive without at this time of the year though, I guess depends on your metabolism and amount of fat coverage though :)

I've just published a reef report along with new photos on my website too... see www.wilmacozumel.com

There's going to be some interesting diving to be had here now, can't wait to get out there myself!

Ian

Anyone have any idea what the water temperature is like?
I would expect water temps of about 80 f +/- 1 degree.

Is it pretty cool for diving this time of the year?
That is kind of subjective. It will also depend on your personal perception of what is cool. FWIW, people dive year around in Cozumel.

Do we need wet suits??
This is also a subjective thing. It will depend on your personal cold tolerance as well as the number of dive you do. Multiple days of multiple dives will lower your core temp and you will be colder. You might not need a wetsuit, but you will probably be more comfortable and be better protected from the sun and pokey things if you do wear a wetsuit.

For me, I always wear at least a 3mm full wetsuit and I've never, ever been too warm.

Has anyone heard anything about repair of the three Piers? What are the locations of the three? I have seen the one downtown NS ONE A $6.00 cab ride from downtown. Do they call the one just south of the one south of town the third one? It usually has a Carnival ship tied up there.:confused:

The downtown pier is Punta Langosta. It is about 5 blocks from our fiscal ferry pier that takes people off the island to the mainland. The second pier is TMM or Touristico. It is about 3 miles from downtown. The third one is right next door to TMM and the furthest from downtown...it is Puerta Maya. That is the one that Carnival Corporation owns. All three piers received heavy damage but both TMM and Puerta Maya have been used this week to tender into. Tenders have also been using the fiscal ferry pier for the ships. Punta Langosta is estimated to take 3-6 months to repair. TMM 6-8 months. Puerta Maya 18 months.

Hi tom

We love the pictures . the little bambino is so adorable , CONGRATS !!!

We will be seeing you on December 1st :) , finally got a definite yes that the Legend of the Seas will be there .

I have a can of spaghettos already packed for Solita , anything you need or just would love to have ?

We have twin 4 year old girls so hopefully you can pick us out of the crowd . I attached a pic .

Oh , darn . I'll have to send a recent one later , my Adobe photoshop is down :(

My mouth is watering for Sketti O´s!!! Yippy! Muchas thanks.

You know everytime I look at the pictures of the piers, I think how scary the winds must have been..the locals will be working very hard to get things back to normal. We have friends who will be cruising to Cozumel in early January'06, we convinced them as first time cruisers to pick a trip that went there as we have enjoyed the 3 visits we had...they will certainlly see the damage, maybe not the best experience for first time cruisers, but will get a appreciation for the power of weather.

I have been reading this thread since it started and wish everyone in Cozumel all the best...keep us updated...looking forward to returning there on future cruises.....

Archived