Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

I read about a mini golf course up the hill from where the flag pole was, Sally used to be an owner. Does this still exist, or plans on it opening? IF is does exist anyone been there, or know prices.

If ships tender in, how far will it be away from where the dock used to be?

Hi,

I haven't been on this forum for awhile because I live on Cozumel and my husband, I and our two poodles weathered Wilma here on the island. It was a horrible nightmare. But we are safe. And many people we've talked to here since have far worse stories than ours.

But I'm not here to complain. I'm here to tell you just a little bit about the miracle that's happened here on the island since the storm.

After the storm it was really depressing. Everything seemed burned out and trashed and it seemed a hopeless job frankly to pull it all back together. No electricity, phone, running water. Gas rationing. It was quite something.

But do you know that within one WEEK almost the entire town of San Miguel where I live had electricity again! And now, 21 days after the hurricane smashed dead on into us, the island has made a comeback the likes of which I've never experienced in my life.

I am so moved by the energy and dedication of the local Cozumelenos. I've never seen anyone work so hard. 70% of the waterfront stores will be open by Nov 14. All the restaurants are open. There are beaches open and ready to receive people.

And now, two days before the first cruiseships are coming in, the downtown businesses in conjunction with local government have decided to pull out all the stops and show you cruise passengers how very much they appreciate and want your business.

There's going to be a week long party downtown where you'll be morring off shore and then tendering into the municipal pier. Children's ballet folkloric, mariachis, photographic displays, theatre groups, arts and crafts. It's a celebration for the community who has been working so hard to pull themselves up by their bootstraps. But also a special welcome to you guys who are coming to visit in spite of what you may have read in the media.

To come and enjoy this sweet, welcoming island and know that the downtown area is very safe and you can walk back into town even at night with no fear whatsoever. I'm a woman and live in the town center and regularly go out late at night by myself.

I don't know if I'm permitted to post a link but if so I thought people might like to read some of the press releases being put out this week by the local papers which I've translated from the Spanish and which may be viewed at:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/Pages/Cozumel/CozumelWilmaComeBackNewsReleases.htm

Carey on Cozumel

cozumelmycozumel.com

Hi Carey

Thank you so much for the wonderful update . We are truely looking forward to coming . As of right now RCCL has not promised us that the Legend of the Seas will be there or not . The cruises on the Legend prior to us are going so we believe we are too .Too bad we are missing the party thou :(

Latest news via Por Esto de Q. Roo says the city has decided to give free prizes to the first two passengers off every cruiseship that comes into downtown Cozumel. I don't know how long this will go on but at least the week starting Nov 14. So elbow your way to the front of the line. The prizes are for future visits and include voachers for a free rental car, horseback ride and dive trip or Discover Scuba course.

Hi all

Just to let you know I went to all the beach clubs yesterday and today and have just posted a report on what's open and how they look on my website: www.wilmacozumel.com

Mao - keep checking with your cruise line as they may still be updating their schedules - and hopefully you'll be here in January after all!

I'll be at the party tomorrow taking photos and talking to the first returning passengers to see what they think - a report should be on my site Tuesday - you can register for email updates on the homepage too...

Best wishes from Cozumel

Ian

Solita, I see you have alot to do with the ships arriving, trying to figure out why the Mariner is not stopping at Cozumel on the 25th. I have been so dissappointed and from reading your posts don't understand why some boats can stop and some can't. Is there some reason the RC Mariner isn't stopping that you know of? who decides what boat stops and which doesn't. :confused:

Solita, I see you have alot to do with the ships arriving, trying to figure out why the Mariner is not stopping at Cozumel on the 25th. I have been so dissappointed and from reading your posts don't understand why some boats can stop and some can't. Is there some reason the RC Mariner isn't stopping that you know of? who decides what boat stops and which doesn't. :confused:

Mariner and the other Voyager class ships are not stopping at this time because of the tendering. These ships are the largest with the most passengers.

Ok if Mariner and other Voyager class ships are to big with too many paxs to tender then the question IS When will the docks be repaired?

I want to go to Cozumel on Feb. 3rd!!:confused: Maybe they will add Coz back on the itinerary if the docks are repaired.

Anyone know what the projected time frame is?

Thanx MAO

Ian,

Thanks for the info on Mr. Sanchos. I love your website it has helped me immensely.

I think we will opt for Paradise Beach. Sorry we are missing the Party this week:rolleyes: We will be there on Tues the 22nd on the Mediterranea!

Beth

I know this has been mentioned here before, but the largest photo Gallery on the Destruction and Reconstruction of Cozumel Island, is available at

This website has consistent information and will be around as a reference point for years to come. The website is maintained by the Local Cozumel Wireless Internet Service Provider.

You will also find Photographs of Before Hurricane Wilma Cozumel, including Streaming Video of the Puerta Maya and International Cruise Ship Piers.

They Already have Updates and Pictures from the Downtown Square Party that occured Today.

http://eczm.com/wilma/Three_Weeks_After_Hurricane_Wilma_Cozumel/Monday-Nov14/index.htm

:)

I've heard that the Atlantis Submersible will be re-opening around December 15th, and was looking for a little more detailed or inside info. My wife and I are taking our first cruise on 12/5 (RCCL Enchantment), and have a Cozumel port stop scheduled on 12/7 for which we've prepurchased the Atlantis excursion.

At this point, I don't know if we're even docking at Cozumel or just getting an extra sea day (or a stop at Costa Maya instead); the Enchantment isn't one of the megaships, but with her stretch she's now almost 1000' so I don't know if they'd bring her in to tender from.

I'm not going to worry too much about it, since I'm sure I won't know much until that week. If we do go to Cozumel and the sub is still not running, I assume RCCL will just credit the excursion back to my credit card. My wife and I will then have to find something else to do. We don't drink a lot, and aren't much for sun worshipping, and don't really plan to shop that much, so I think maybe we'd just grab a bite to eat and try that mini golf, if I can figure out where it is. :)

From what I can tell, the Voyager of the Seas is still going to Cozumel. I think those of us on the Mariner and Explorer just got the short end of the deal.

No. Voyager which was scheduled to call in Cozumel every other Thursday has had it's itinerary will be modified to spend Thursdays at sea and call at Nassau on Fridays.

Ok if Mariner and other Voyager class ships are to big with too many paxs to tender then the question IS When will the docks be repaired?

I want to go to Cozumel on Feb. 3rd!!:confused: Maybe they will add Coz back on the itinerary if the docks are repaired.

Anyone know what the projected time frame is?

Thanx MAO

Good question -I've been wondering the same myself. :confused:

Latest news via Por Esto de Q. Roo says the city has decided to give free prizes to the first two passengers off every cruiseship that comes into downtown Cozumel. I don't know how long this will go on but at least the week starting Nov 14. So elbow your way to the front of the line. The prizes are for future visits and include voachers for a free rental car, horseback ride and dive trip or Discover Scuba course.

Well two of the lucky prize winners are members of Cruise Critic!

Met Phyllis and Dennis on the beach today and they showed me all the certificates entitling them to their swag!

p><p>Check out some pics I took over the last few days including today

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=izzzrlw.wpukibw&Uy=-4x4wk0&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

1st time posting pics and links to albums so I hope it works!

Great pics, Tom! Thanks for posting them!

Is the "neighbor" picture San Francisco beach? It seems like I had read somewhere that both Paradise Beach and Palm Beach were open today but that San Fran wasn't... is that right?

That is one cute baby you have! I saw the picture of him that was posted on another thread....... He looks like he is going to be quite the flirt as he gets a little older! Trouble!! ;)

Hope to be visiting you 1/4/2006 off Enchantment! :D

Tom,

Glad to see things progressing quickly. Baby Oliver Christian who you met and held when we visited in June says "Welcome" to Chrisian Lukas! My daughter keeps asking me when we are going back to PB, they loved it! We are thinking about a trip just to Coz sometime, it was so relaxing. Our best to your family and your hardworking staff, they've done amazing things in such a short period of time.

Jodee from Wyoming

Archived