Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Are all of these places now destroyed? We are going Thanksgiving week and hoping to get into Cozumel. Just curious as to what is still there....I know the pier near these places is gone but what about those particular places?

Are all of these places now destroyed? We are going Thanksgiving week and hoping to get into Cozumel. Just curious as to what is still there....I know the pier near these places is gone but what about those particular places?

Don't know where Panchos was...but Ron Jon and Fat Tuesdays were destroyed. All that remains are the shells of the buildings.

Hello,

I am booked on a 5 night western caribbean cruise with Celebrity and due into Cozumel on 11/30. I called Celebrity this morning and was told that as of 11/12, they will start cruising back to Cozumel. I had prebooked a shore excursion through Celebrity for a dolphin encounter at Chakaanab Park. I asked this morning why they were still offering this excursion for 11/30, when it has been reported that this park will be at least 6 months before it opens again. I was told that as far as Celebrity goes, they haven't received any info about this and they are running this excursion.

So, I am confused. Why wouldn't they know that the park isn't running or is there any hope that it will be operational by the end of this month. I realize that it is unlikely, but I can't understand why Celebrity says that it will be running by then. I am afraid to cancel because going by what Celebrity told me this morning, we will be going to Chakaanab and I was looking forward to a dolphin encounter. Any advice?

Erin

I'd book another excursion. The cruise lines never seem to have accurate info. Cozumel Insider is there...in Cozumel...and knows what the real story is.

The info you find on this board is always much more accurate than what you get from the cruise line customer service reps because there are so many reps and the info doesn't get to them nearly as quickly.

This news is great to hear. I hope that people will want to come to Coz as soon as it is open because that is the best way to help it recover. We will be there on 12/15 from Legend of the Seas. We had planned to do some bone fishing and hope that the waters will have been calm enough for this to be good.

Who do you plan to go with on the bone fishing? Fished last February with 3 Hermanos and really saw the fish wade fishing the flats with fly rods. Haven't heard anything from Oscar since Wilma. Wonder how his boats fared? We have another cruise booked Feb 06.

Ian, not sure where you are getting all your information as it is quite "optimistic" compared to all the other information out there. Chankanaab was not a natural park, it was manmade!! The supposed "post Wilma" pictures you are posting to show how beautiful Cozumel still is are also fraudulent. What's your deal???????

I wouldn't call Ian's posts or pictures fraudulent. His optimism is fantastic and it is that optimistic attitude that is helping all of Cozumel recover as quickly as possible.

I can't understand why people would get upset over this...

Everyone knows Cozumel will not be 100% for a long time...but there have been numerous posts on these boards from dive shops, Tom from Paradise Beach, etc saying they will be ready for tourists on Nov. 14th.

I don't have any cruises planned right now...but if I did that would be all I needed to hear.

I'm not "upset", just concerned that people will make decisions about Cozumel based upon information that is not correct. I can understand the desperation of the people of Cozumel to get the tourist back asap, but don't think that it justifies misrepresenting what is really going on in order to do so. Take it or leave it!

That's funny...this link provides completely different information saying that Poncho's and Fat Tuesday only suffered minor damage and would be open soon. Did not see anything about Ron Jon, but I emailed about Carlos n Charlies and they added the update that day. Anyone have any other information regarding these spots?

http://www.travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/hurricane.php

Everyone knows Cozumel will not be 100% for a long time...but there have been numerous posts on these boards from dive shops, Tom from Paradise Beach, etc saying they will be ready for tourists on Nov. 14th.
Correct. Everyone needs to adjust their expectations accordingly.

I spoke with someone from Dolphin Discovery this morning (Ana). She said they will know in about 15 days whether or not the Cozumel program will be functional by December 15th. She indicated that some have chosen to transfer their reservation to the DD at Puerto Aventuras which is on the mainland about 20 minutes from Playa Del Carmen. She said you can take the ferry from Cozumel (about 30 minutes) then get a taxi to PA (about 20 minutes). The cost for travel will be more, but there's no park admission fee so it won't be too much more expensive for those who are really wanting to do a dolphin adventure. The ferry is $10 per person one way, and she said the taxi is about the same as from the port to Chankanaab. We've booked for DD on 12/22 - but will change if needed.

As of today the Tour Operators published an updated list of Tours READY TO GO, Things are looking prety good as far as the number of activities ready to be offered to the first visitors to Cozumel on November 14 2005.

Also for those wondering and gosiping about Dolphin Discovery, THERE IS NO OFFICIAL information, I had a talk yesterday with the sales director of the park and told me that the re is NO official statements yet until the end of the week, so don-t loose your hopes for those planning to visit Cozumel soon.

For information on the status of tour operators please visit http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma/tours.asp

Sincerely,

Alfonso Perez-Verdia O.

Ian, not sure where you are getting all your information as it is quite "optimistic" compared to all the other information out there. Chankanaab was not a natural park, it was manmade!! The supposed "post Wilma" pictures you are posting to show how beautiful Cozumel still is are also fraudulent. What's your deal???????

Forgive me if I am being rude (not my intentions) - but what's your deal? :confused:

The information Ian has been providing has been fairly consistent with everything else I have been reading in many other places. Do you live in Cozumel? How do you know 100% percent that those photos are fradulent? Just curious.

No matter which side anyone takes (pessimistic and optimistic) - there will always be photos and information to support that stance - just like with governmental statistics.

Starfamily,

I would be quite skeptical of some of the information regarding the condition of Cozumel on this board. I think most people are being honest, others, well, not so honest!!! Check it out with a third party!

I agree we should be skeptical. I think some people are exagerating the pace of recovery because they want to get us cruisers back as soon as possible because we are their livelyhood. Cozumel is one of my favorite posts and on the itinerary of a cruise I am taking Dec. 4. I am keeping my expectations low on both it still being on the itinerary that week, and if it is on the itinerary, on what it will be like. The took a huge hit and it will take a long time to recover. If we do stop there it is not going to be the same.

Who the hell said Cozumel would be 100% recovered in a month or two. But I can predict what you will find - A lot of smiling faces happy to see tourists returning.

Obviously, not all scheduled cruise ships will stop there - it will be some time before they can deal with 10 or more cruise ships a day. If you are lucky enough to stop there, you will find a whole lot fewer tourists than you otherwise would have. In many ways, like Cozumel of old. Much like Grand Cayman was a couple of months after Ivan. It will be quite an experience.

If there is anyone scheduled to go to Cozumel that doesn't want to, feel free to send me your cruise ticket. :D

Ian, I am very concerned for a friend who is there, named Gary who runs Mayan Paradise Tours. We did a SNUBA expedition with him and his crew last year, but I have not heard word from him as of yet. Any ideas?

Heard from Gary today. Guess they just got electricity back in the office.

Some sad news - Zorro was smashed to pieces and sank. They should find a replacment, but it will take a while. Maria Del Mar is ok, but they still need to survey the reefs and work out a trip. They are trying to be ready for Nov 14th!

Archived