Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Atlantida is in Cancun, not Cozumel. Both places are run by Dolphin Discovery. Chankanaab is the park in Cozumel where Dolphin Discovery is located.

My apologies to everyone for hijacking this thread~!~ I posted this same question in August. Here is what I was told:

My Question: We are booked for RC's excursion - the Atlantida dolphin swim. It says the tour is at 9:30am and lasts for 3 hours. Unless I'm mistaken, this place is actually close to Cancun, right? There really aren't any details about transportation in the description. Does anyone know how long it takes to get there? Do we all ride on the public ferry from Cozumel?

In looking at the website for Atlantida, it looks like this is part of Parque Nizuc which also includes Wet 'n Wild. I'm sure my kids would be thrilled to be able to check that out, but since we're booked on the ship's excursion, we'll have to leave to go back to Cozumel as soon as the dolphin swimming is done, right?

Response:

There is an Atlantida now here in Cozumel - 3 hours seems like a long time for a tour since it is in walking distance from the downtown pier and a 8 minute taxi ride from the other piers. I have heard the tours lasting 3 hours when the cruise ship goes to Chankanaab Park - allowing beach time there but since there is nothing except the dolphin arena at Atlantida I'm not sure what you would do for that long??

Jacq at

Cozumelinsider

OK, so now I'm just as confused as ever :confused: Is the Atlantida in Cozumel that Jacq refers to at the same physical location as Chakanaab or is it not? I don't really care who owns the facility, I just want to know if the excursion I booked through RCCL (specifically refers to "Atlantida") go on as scheduled or not. I realize you can't tell me "yes" or "no" specifically, but if this excursion takes place at the same facility as Dolphin Discovery, then I guess it would be safe to assume "no."

Thank you for your patience kind people, and you may now return to your regularly scheduled thread :D

I followed the link and clicked on the Cozumel button on the map. It brought me to a page where I can book a reservation. Looks like business as usual there. I didn't see anything talking about how the dolphins fared in the hurricane, or even that the park was closed?? Please forgive my ineptitude, but where exactly are you finding this information?

I found it! Just type in www.dolphindiscovery.com, then it will bring up the home page, however, behind that, it will bring up another window. Not sure why they didn't make it so that windows comes in front, but it is actually behind the main window. So, just minimize the main window, I guess. Good luck!

I found it! Just type in www.dolphindiscovery.com, then it will bring up the home page, however, behind that, it will bring up another window. Not sure why they didn't make it so that windows comes in front, but it is actually behind the main window. So, just minimize the main window, I guess. Good luck!

As the poster who first described the popup screen, I need to note that the popup telling that the dolphins are safe and communication is down is no longer coming up for me. Must be variable or in transition?

My apologies to everyone for hijacking this thread~!~ I posted this same question in August. Here is what I was told:

My Question: We are booked for RC's excursion - the Atlantida dolphin swim. It says the tour is at 9:30am and lasts for 3 hours. Unless I'm mistaken, this place is actually close to Cancun, right? There really aren't any details about transportation in the description. Does anyone know how long it takes to get there? Do we all ride on the public ferry from Cozumel?

In looking at the website for Atlantida, it looks like this is part of Parque Nizuc which also includes Wet 'n Wild. I'm sure my kids would be thrilled to be able to check that out, but since we're booked on the ship's excursion, we'll have to leave to go back to Cozumel as soon as the dolphin swimming is done, right?

Response:

There is an Atlantida now here in Cozumel - 3 hours seems like a long time for a tour since it is in walking distance from the downtown pier and a 8 minute taxi ride from the other piers. I have heard the tours lasting 3 hours when the cruise ship goes to Chankanaab Park - allowing beach time there but since there is nothing except the dolphin arena at Atlantida I'm not sure what you would do for that long??

Jacq at

Cozumelinsider

OK, so now I'm just as confused as ever :confused: Is the Atlantida in Cozumel that Jacq refers to at the same physical location as Chakanaab or is it not? I don't really care who owns the facility, I just want to know if the excursion I booked through RCCL (specifically refers to "Atlantida") go on as scheduled or not. I realize you can't tell me "yes" or "no" specifically, but if this excursion takes place at the same facility as Dolphin Discovery, then I guess it would be safe to assume "no."

Thank you for your patience kind people, and you may now return to your regularly scheduled thread :D

Not sure if you've seen any of the photos coming out of Cozumel the "Atlantida" is pretty much destroyed. Same with Chakanaab. If there is one in Cancun I can't see that they would be in much better shape.

Some photos are on http://eczm.com/wilma/ Atlantida photo is in Tuesday photos folder.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered numerous times.... I thought i searched through all these messages but i may have missed it.:o

i will be on the triumph, and we are scheduled to be in coz on nov 14th, which will be the "opening day" for cozumel. i'd love love love to spend my money at PB!!!!!!!!:D does anyone know????

thanks!!

PB Tom will probably read you post and give you a better update.

Tom reported that his GM told him that there was no beach and the palapas and his office took a beating but the pier was intact. Another post I saw stated that the PB pier was gone...

I'd hate to speculate as to when PB will be back open for business. Tom is in Mexico City and can't even get a flight back to Cozumel until Nov. 1st.

Thank you for posting those photos. I looked through the Tuesday file and it looks horrible :( Quite honestly, though, I've never been to Cozumel so I can't tell one building from another. I'll just take your word for it that Atlantida was in there somewhere.

I appreciate all your help.

Having visited Cozumel a few times and currently scheduling a group cruise there in September, 2006, we are keenly interested in the situation in Cozumel. The resounding information we can glean from the Internet is that the island coastal areas have been devastated. But the one thing that comes through from all these reports is that the people there are working their tails off putting things back in order. It is amazing the resiliancy of the people that can be read from the messages we have been reading. Its a testament to the human spirit.

We visited Grand Cayman in 2004 after Ivan passed within 30 or so miles of the island. We were on one of the first ships to anchor there after the storm. We were amazed at how quickily things had been cleaned up and businesses back up and running. Our dive trip there was totally unaffected by Ivan. We believe the people of Cozumel have the same enthusiasm to restore their homes and businesses as quickly as possible.

God bless them all!

I'm sure we'll all look forward to reading some first-hand reviews regarding the condition of PB once it has reopened.

I had a dream (nightmare) last week that when I finally got to PB the chaise lounges were tossed all over the place, and there were TONS of pinepples scrattered the entire length of the beach:-(

I know if were up to PB Tom he'd never let this happen, but the news media makes it sound like Wilma wiped Cozumel off the map!

Annie

Yeah but Annie in you dream/nightmare PB still had a beach!! My wife and I were there last Jan. and had a blast. And this year we are dragging along my parents, brother and cousin who all have heard hours upon hours of constant bragging on PB and now... well we just have to wait and see.

LET US HEAR FROM YA TOM!!!!:D

Need some of that GUAC. u have!@!!!!:)

thanks you guys! that was the ONE place i was looking forward to going to on our cruise (well, not the only, but definately the ONE!!:D ) so i'm hoping and praying that they will be open for business!!!!

come on PB - we'd love to help you out by visiting your little piece of paradise~!!!!!

Good day to all, thank you for your concerns after hurricane Wilma that hit us this past weekend.

We are posting all the official information we are gattering evry day from Government, Tour operators, Chamber of Tourism, Hotel Asosciation and people of Cozumel.

You can visit our website at http://www.cometocozumel.com/english/wilma.asp

Sincerely,

Staff Come to Cozumel.com

Is the Atlantida in Cozumel that Jacq refers to at the same physical location as Chakanaab or is it not?
They are 2 completely different locations.

Unfortunately, it does not really matter at this time as both locations have suffered sever damage from the hurricane.

Below is the email I received from Adrian....

Thank you very much for beein in touch.

We are all ok, family and Especias as well as the Kiteshop are ok. We have had some friends over with us and have help a lot of people here in the island.

It was a Strong hurricane for sure and PLEASE do not belive all of what the media is saying. Cozumel had some big damage but nothing that can't be rebuilt. We have had electricity since last night and we are working really hard.

As a team, we (town people) have clear up streets since the day after for the help to work (electricity company and trash trucks) and have water and all the services back.

Ocean front is only accessible to store owners and the streets are ok, and in a month, as a limit, all have to be back to business.

Piers: one, puerta Maya gone, International pier partially hurt and in use as well as punta langosta and the town one are in use already.

We are expecting the first cruiseship Nov the 14th and tour operators are ready to work Now!!

we have had the before and we know how to get back in business. My restaurant is running already and the kiteshop as well.

Please Help, spread the voice, WE ARE OK!!! and there will be updates at http://www.cozumelkiteboarding.com, http://www.cometocozumel.com,www.cancunmap.com,www.scubatony.com

I will greatly appreciate if you forward this mail to as many people you know

Sincerely

Adrian from Especias!!

I am so sorry to hear about Cozumel...we absolutely love the island, the new Puerta Maya pier, which I can't believe is basically gone. Also, the pier at Paradise Beach is to die for! We were there in April on the Glory and had the chairs under the thatched roof to our selves. After a day of sun, it was wonderful. The best day of our entire cruise. Paradise Beach was wonderful but can see how quickly those awful hurricane winds could destroy it. There was some condos for sale between Paradise Beach and Chanakaab that had a sign with very reasonable prices....glad we didn't purchase one because I'm sure they are gone or nearly destroyed.

Tom, thanks for the update...hopefully, you and your family will be back to Cozumel soon but I wouldn't want to go back until things were up and running especially with your new baby. Take care!

So I don't get flamed for being insensitive, let me preface this by saying that I wish the people of Cozumel and Cancun a speedy recovery and that I have contributed cash and supplies to hurricane relief this year and will continue to do so. ( I don't say that to "brag" but to prevent the rampant sniping on the board)

This ends my disclaimer.

My question is this - does anyone have specific information on the Cozumel restaurants - their damage and their guesstimate on when they will reopen? I saw that their website says 6-8 months but it does not address the situation for individual restaurants - it covers Cancun, Cozumel and Playa Mia. Granted I'm no architect but 6-8 months seems incredibly long for the type of structures in Cozumel.

Thanks and happy and safe sailing to all.

Archived