Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Great info Wilma. We will be sailing in Feb 2006 and people had me worried thay even Feb was to soon for Cozumel to be up and running. I'm glad for your information, now I can send our group some information so they can relax.

More good news in Cozumel - the vehicle ferry to the mainland is operating a normal service. This means ALL supplies can now flow easily to the island and cruise ship passengers can enjoy our great hospitality without any shortages!

There's a story in a Mexican paper here for anyone that reads Spanish: http://www.poresto.com.mx/index.php?ID=48900

Ian

Hi Ian

Glad your survived Wilmas wrath. I will be in Cozumel the end of Nov on the Coral Princess. Is there anything we can bring ie clothing Ect? I am looking forward to seeing my fav area of the caribean. I know Cozumel may not be 100% when we get there. Howevever an island that depends so much on cruise ship dollars needs those ships. Your Island has provided all of us with so much Joy and pleasure that we really want to come. Even if it is not perfect.

My eight year old godson will be with us and he wants to meet Mexican children so he can learn about their customs ect... He will be devistated if we do not get to Mexico. I will let Princess know my feelings.

Thank you and God bless you all in your rebuilding efforts. Hope to see you in Late Nov. denisern2@hotmail.com

Hi Denise

That's a good question and I'm sure a lot of people are going to ask. I imagine dry foods, clothes and children's games would be useful for those families that lost their homes - but I'll pop down to the Red Cross and the local authorities to ask them later today - I wouldn't want to misinform you!

Hopefully I'll have a proper answer for you tomorrow.

Of course, a big smile and willingness to tip generously are always welcome too!

Ian

Not sure if this link has been posted but it does have a history of pictures before, during and after the storm. The one big thing of note is that the folks on the island are not waiting around in lines or complaining and asking where the Mexican equivalen of FEMA is. Even before the storm had past, they were out in the streets cleaning up. Cozumel will be back (maybe not quite as good as new but still great) while folks in New Orleans and South Florida are still asking why someone is not coming to help us.

http://eczm.com/wilma/index.htm

Excuse me?? I happen to live in South Florida, and you can rest assured that I'm not standing in a line wondering why someone isn't coming to help me - I'm busy cleaning up and trying to get my life back to some kind of normal. I was without electricity and phones for 4 days. Those people standing in line may be the elderly or the poor, who were unable to prepare ahead of time. You have no idea what it's like to wonder if your home (or your life) will be destroyed and then to have to try and recover afterward. We've been doing it two years in a row now. Maybe you should live through what we've lived through before you criticize.

I just want to encourage everyone who is taking a cruise in the next few months and has Cozumel as one of the scheduled ports of call to contact your cruise line and let them know that you would love to support the economy of Cozumel and hope that after Nov. 14th your ship would indeed stop there as previously planned. The more cruisers that let their opinion be known, the better!

I heard back from Rita and Burak from Albatross Charters today and they said their boats only suffered minor damage except for one that got no damage. They will be ready to go when the town opens. By the end of today 90% of the island is supposed to have electricity.:)

Ian - thank you so much for the info.We should be in port on December 2 if all goes well and look forward to doing what we can to contribute to the local economy!! Great news on Paradise Beach - we were hoping to spend our morning there. If they have sand and cold beer, that's about all we need.

Do you have any details on our other favorite hangout - Carlos & Charlies?

I also heard from Adrian and he made it through okay, all things considered. He just wanted all his friends he has guided to know he will be back in business by the time it opens.

It was really good to hear from him and to know he and his family was safe. He is the best guide I have ever had. And, my wife just loved him, since he taught her how to snorkle.

I was in Cozomel last January and fell in love with the place as well as Paradise Beach. Tom is an awesome host. PB was all that he promised and more. We are going back in April and can't wait. We are from South Florida and had the pleasure (not) of being pummeled by Wilma as a cat 2 for a few hours. I cannot fathom a cat 5 storm. My home sustained a good amount of damage and I can tell you that it was frightening. My kids were in our "Safe" room while we tried to reinforce our shuttered windows from the water and wind that managed to find its way in. When our screen enclosure and part of the roof ripped off the house my kids were crying, frightened that we were losing our entire roof. We were without water for two days, without power for 7 and a half days ( we got it back tonight YEAH!!!!!) and have had intermitten phone service. We have waited in gas lines for hours, (need to get to work or check on relatives) cleaned piles of debris from our properties and pulled together as a community to get through this ordeal. My heart goes out to the people in cozomel, but salutes them for their perserverance. There is definately a price to pay for living in Paradise.

Wondering who knows what is going on under the water. Have the reefs been damaged? I ask you, zydeco since you are there. We will be there the week of the 20th (Thanksgiving week) and want to know if the diving is in tact. Half of Cozumel's bread and butter is under the water. That is why we have gone there so many times (though I DO like to shop and I DO like to watch the crazy drunks at Carlos & Charlie's!)

I know the operators will open if it is physically possible, but has the quality of diving been diminished due to the hurricane?

Uh, no, I'm not in Cozumel although I would like to be.

Here is a report from Aldora:

Conditions of reefs (dated October the 27th.)

Ok guys, here it is. We sent out one boat today and attempted to survey Santa Rosa Wall northward. We felt that all of the deeper reefs to the south were probably in pretty good shape as we found Palancar Bricks yesterday, and our main worry has been the shallow reefs. Lo and behold, the rumours about Paradise Reef having disappeared are not true. I will go through our list.

Santa Rosa Wall: The coral head tops had damage to finger and lettuce corals and I expect that we are going to see that everywhere--but they are not gone. Also some bleaching was evident. Down deeper we found lots of debris in the swimthroughs, mainly some sponges and big rocks of previously dead coral that had fallen from above, but nothing dramatic. Again. like Palancar the base of the Coral heads, even as deep as 100 feet had white bands where the sand had washed off. I didn't think that wave action reached that deep but it must have. However, it was not so strong to hurt anything, just moved the light sand/sediment that had accumulated over a long time.

Yucab and Tormentos: Much more severe damage to the finger and lettuce coral but the overall coral bluffs are still intact and there are still lots of fish. Both dive sites will still be interesting and once debris is gone we suspect it would take an expert on the reef to recognize a difference. This is good news for the critter freaks.

Wreck of the C-53: It sits in the same place but the tower has fallen over and it has a crack in the side. Actually it now looks like a real wreck instead of something from Disneyland!

Chankanaab Balloons: The big coral heads are still intact but the smaller ones are buried in sand. Those that we looked at had the same problems as Yucab and Tormentos.

Dzul Ha: We check this snorkeling spot to see how snorkeling might be for those that do that sort of thing. It is now barren rock.

Paradise Reef: Contrary to rumors we were delighted to be able to find it where it was, and recognizable. Lots of bleaching, and clearly damaged but will still make a nice dive, and all of the fish were there.

SUMMARY

The deeper reefs seem to be as expected, the only surprise has been the presence of bleaching (which we hope to heal soon since the stressor has been removed) and the newly exposed old coral at depth. Compared to Roxanne in 1995 the effect on the deep reef is pretty much the same.

The shallower reefs seem to be better than I would have expected but still show damage that will take some time to heal. But the fish are still there in normal numbers and as some one else suggested, the rubble from the cruise ship piers may make for new dive sites...we just have to find them.

On that thought, it is entirely possible that the movement of so much bottom may have exposed or created some very interesting new dive sites. We will be looking for them, both on the west side and on the east where we might even find some old Spanish stuff.

By tomorrow surely others will be out and about and can add to this thread. I am getting a little tired of the keyboard (I type like I am using my toes) so unless needed for specific issues am going to retire for a while.

A second report:

Monday, October 31, 3:00 p.m. CST --- Dailene Erickson, Divemaster and owner of Cabrilla's Nauti Pescador in Cozumel

"The difference in how the island looks today compared to Sunday morning when we first had a look is amazing. The cleanup efforts and work completed by the electric company is to be proudly commended. Since my house and store suffered little to no damage, I, with the help of two diving videographers, decided to help the Parque Marino in the investigation of the effects of Wilma on the reefs. While these investigations are nowhere near complete, I can report, UNOFFICIALLY, that yes, there was substantial, yet not devastating, damage to the reefs. Much of the sand has gone in many of the deeper reefs, leaving them to be actually quite different! Caves, or swim throughs, are larger, and there is plenty of life to see! We are seeing more sharks, eagle rays, and sting rays. Some of the shallower reefs were hit hard in parts, and some may require restricted use for some time, but others made it ok. While I can not go into great detail, as about half of the reefs have not been researched yet (to be continued Tuesday), I can say that the reefs ARE divable. As ecologically responsible divers, we must take this into consideration and treat the reefs with even more respect than before, to allow them to regenerate. Coral reefs are intelligent creatures. They've been around forever and will regenerate to be even more beautiful. So when you return to dive with us, watch those fins and don't touch the reefs are now they are in their most fragile state...REGROWTH! But, DO come down soon! More reports later. Dailene Erickson"

Hi all

I live in Cozumel and work with many businesses that offer tours and services to cruise ship passengers. I am in Cozumel now and I was here during Wilma - I'm now back online as the island recovers fast.

I've been catching up on the discussions and I'd like to deliver an important message from the cruise-related businesses on the island...

We're ready for you!!!

Cruise ship shore excursions are also ready to go - if a cruise ship arrived today the passengers would still be spoilt for choice with things to do and the Cozumel people would be delighted to see them.

The Royal Caribbean passengers that arrive on 14 Nov will be amazed how fast the island is repairing itself. Don't think this is a public relations exercise, the island really is recovering fast...

Like I say, don't be put off visiting Cozumel - there are plenty of impressive photos of the damage that was done, but they are already outdated - you can walk in many parts of town today and not believe that a hurricane was even there.

Thanks for the update Ian. I absolutely love Cozumel and am looking forward to coming again in December. But to say that everything's ready and all of the pictures are outdated is simply misrepresenting things. I'm sure that the downtown bars and merchants are coming back up very rapidly, and you're right, those pictures of the cleanup are absolutely amazing. But the natural part of Cozumel that many of us love will take a while to recover.

These are not "outdated" photos - they were taken Saturday:

Paradise Beach

Saturday1w%20083.jpg

Palm Beach

Saturday1w%20068.jpg

Dzul Ha

Saturday1w%20036.jpg

So I think a more appropriate statement would be to say the downtown area is bouncing back more quickly than expected, many dive and snorkel operators are ready to go, but the beach clubs and more natural aspects will take a bit longer. It depends on the tourists priorities when arriving. If they came primarily for the shopping, restaurants and bars, then they'll have a great time. If they were coming for the lush beaches...that recovery will be a while.

Just my opinion.

Hi Mark, all...

Sorry, perhaps the positive spirit of the Cozumel people influenced what I was saying..! :)

I didn't mean for it to sound like the island was 100% back to normal already, of course there is some big damage and some things are permanently changed (like some new beaches I saw on the other side of the island this morning..!)

And it is true, some of the beach clubs will take a while to recover to their original selves... but my point was, it's not a disaster zone here... many tourist amenities are already open again and we will be ready for cruise ships in weeks... not months...

Of course "the camera never lies" but the pictures that get posted are inevitably of the damage - that's what people are interested in seeing - but that doesn't mean the whole island looks like a war zone.

I took some pictures of downtown yesterday to provide a contrast - you can see them on my site under "The Recovery" here: www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma

For people that want to visit Cozumel to shop, eat, drink, snorkel, dive, relax on a beach etc, there will be plenty available to them... there'll still be uprooted trees and broken roofs in places... but I'm sure visitors will enjoy taking snaps of those too!

By the way though - the picture you posted of Paradise Beach is a little outdated! ;) (Believe me, a LOT has changed since Saturday when you say the pic was taken) Most of the sand you see is on the grass and has been moved back to where it belongs already, most of the other sand has also been recovered and the damaged building is already being knocked down... they hope to re-open in time for the first cruise ship on 14 Nov, albeit with a temporary kitchen and bar...! I'll try to get some pictures in the next couple of days so you can see the progress...

Best regards - Ian

I am sooo ready to go and see how Cozumel is recovering!! My family and I love to visit Cozumel. The people are so inviting. We have made some friends there and we are worried about them and their families. Good Luck to all!!!

Archived