Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Ian, not sure where you are getting all your information as it is quite "optimistic" compared to all the other information out there. Chankanaab was not a natural park, it was manmade!! The supposed "post Wilma" pictures you are posting to show how beautiful Cozumel still is are also fraudulent. What's your deal???????

I don't know where you get your imformation, but Chankanaab lagoon is natural. At one time the sea road went right down the middle of what is now the park. In the 70's you could dive the lagoon, which we did, extra tanks and line we got about half way between the lagoon and ocean. The fish aren't put in the lagoon they swim in from the ocean. So what's not natural?

Hi Everyone,

I did the dolphin swim in 2003 and we went there again in 2004. It was delightful and I would recommend to anyone. This coming from a non-swimmer.

Does anyone know if the dolphins and animals in that park got to safety. I know that in Biloxi, Ms and New Orleans, the animals were left to fend for themselves. Having animals and having done the dolphin swim, I would hate to think that they were left to fend Mother Nature by themselves.

Some sad news - Zorro was smashed to pieces and sank. They should find a replacment, but it will take a while. Maria Del Mar is ok, but they still need to survey the reefs and work out a trip. They are trying to be ready for Nov 14th!

---

Whew!!! Glad to hear that Gary and the crew are okay. As a matter of fact, I just received an email from him today, so at least I know he's safe. I told him that we'd simply love to come to Coz and help rebuild when we get there..no need for a fancy tour.

Hi again all

Sorry, I was offline yesterday doing a lot of laundry!

I've just caught up on all the posts, thanks for your continuing support. I'm sorry Lindalu thought I was fraudulant... but I'm a marketing consultant and professional writer reporting on what is REALLY happening in Cozumel - although I'm connected with some island businesses, I'm trying very hard to give a balanced perspective on what is happening - with both my writing and photos - and I have the advantage that I AM HERE NOW!

So, I - like all of Cozumel - are optimistic - hopefully the pessimists will forgive us!? :)

We're not complacent - we're acutely aware of the need to REALLY be ready for passengers. Opening before we were ready - or pretending everything was 100% normal - would not be in our interests - we too know about the Cayman Islands example..!

I've udated my website with some photos of the Other Side now, you can see them here: http://www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma/

I'll update it again soon with more pictures of business re-opening and a report of the reefs and which shore excursions will be ready.

I've also attached to this post a shot of the seafront to give an idea how we're progressing.

Those asking about Puerta Maya: this pier was very badly hit. Shops, bars and restaurants there will take a while to recover - the pier needs reconstructing first. However, many of these shops had branches downtown too, this will re-open much quicker - e.g. Fat Tuesdays and Panchos Backyard.

Some have asked if the diamond stores are open - I can report that yesterday 2 had opened on the seafront (see my website), and I'm sure more will follow soon. I'm hoping to speak soon with someone from Diamonds International to get the lowdown from them too...

That's all for now, let me know if you have any more questions.

Ian - smiling like the rest of Cozumel.

(PS. for the record, I called Chankanaab a 'natural' park was because it is a 'park' that has 'natural' attractions - cenotes, animals etc. Of course the concept and some physical parts of it were man-made.)

cruisecritic.jpg.516af96c93f8d2adc293cc7eebcd968b.jpg

Ian - thank you so much for taking the time to keep everyone updated. Just ignore the doubters - I too would like to be optimistic about how things are going. On a sad note, a friend went to New Orleans this week as part of a volunteer group for cleanup and only 4 locals showed up. Granted - they have a lot to deal with but every report I get from first hand sources tells me that we Americans could learn a great deal from the passion and determination of the Mexicans and the Caymanians (sp - ?) after their disasters.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if the dolphins and animals in that park got to safety. I know that in Biloxi, Ms and New Orleans, the animals were left to fend for themselves. Having animals and having done the dolphin swim, I would hate to think that they were left to fend Mother Nature by themselves.

Horsefeathers: I think there are multiple posts about this, (maybe even on this thread) the dolphins were transported to a safe dolphin discovery site elsewhere and are fine.

Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and getting ready to leave for my second cruise. We are going out on Nov13, Carnival Valor, Western Carribean. I called Carnival this morning and was told that Costa Maya would replace Cozumel for the rest of November for all Carnival ships. When I asked when this would be officially posted and what the refund policies are she put me through to a supervisor who told me the cozumel situation is under review and the higher ups have determined that as long as enough excursions/shops/restaurants and playa mia was open they would return to cozumel as scheduled after Nov 14. Who knows? They could just be blowing smoke to prevent cancellations. At any rate I wanted to update you on what I was told this morning. Also, she mentioned that they were receiving lots of calls requesting cozumel not be substitued with any other port so keep those calls coming!

Georgia Jen

Thanks so much for posting that Georgia. We are leaving on the Valor on the 10th of December and I am hoping it stops in Cozumel instead of Costa Maya. Did you get an itineray change of swapping Belize and Grand Cayman schedule? Apparently alot of folks have and I haven't plus Carnival says differently.

That's all for now, let me know if you have any more questions.

Ian - smiling like the rest of Cozumel.

I appreciate the photos and the updates you are posting. My family and I will be in Cozumel Dec. 18-24 and we are supposed to stay at Caribe Blue. I know that they have set a date of Dec. 1 for reopening, but I'm interested in seeing how their progress is coming so I can get a feel for the accuracy of their estimate. I would really appreciate it if you could take a few more photos of the hotel and grounds.

Thanks,

Bruce

And to all the people who visit Cozumel on a cruise and like their stop there the best, you really haven't seen Cozumel until you spend a week or two there.

Hi Everyone,

I did the dolphin swim in 2003 and we went there again in 2004. It was delightful and I would recommend to anyone. This coming from a non-swimmer.

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in or if you've ever gone through a hurricane but you don't need to pass judgement on those who have. It's not easy to move dolphins around where the only place to house them is on the beach or in swimming pools. I'm not sure if you watched the news or even heard of the massive rescue of the dolphins here. The trainers were on mats in the water with fish trying to coax the animals back. All were rescued. Those people and other volunteers were in the water for days doing all they could to rescue the animals.

As far as New Orleans goes, the animals at the Audobon Zoo were very well taken care of. The zookeepers there used Miami Zoo's hurricane plan and some even stayed with the animals. The only loss there were, ironically, some river otters and maybe some birds.

I also am an animal lover and swam with the dolphins this past July in Cozumel and hate to see things like this happen. I also have lived it and can tell you that it's not as easy as one may think. As far as leaving them to fend for themselves against Mother Nature, where do you think they would be if they were not in captivity?

I'm not sure what part of the country you live in or if you've ever gone through a hurricane but you don't need to pass judgement on those who have. It's not easy to move dolphins around where the only place to house them is on the beach or in swimming pools. I'm not sure if you watched the news or even heard of the massive rescue of the dolphins here. The trainers were on mats in the water with fish trying to coax the animals back. All were rescued. Those people and other volunteers were in the water for days doing all they could to rescue the animals.

As far as New Orleans goes, the animals at the Audobon Zoo were very well taken care of. The zookeepers there used Miami Zoo's hurricane plan and some even stayed with the animals. The only loss there were, ironically, some river otters and maybe some birds.

I also am an animal lover and swam with the dolphins this past July in Cozumel and hate to see things like this happen. I also have lived it and can tell you that it's not as easy as one may think. As far as leaving them to fend for themselves against Mother Nature, where do you think they would be if they were not in captivity?

Kind of hard to move sharks and such, and if they could have kept the generator going, the outcome would have been different, but:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/09/07/katrina.zoos/

On a sad note, a friend went to New Orleans this week as part of a volunteer group for cleanup and only 4 locals showed up.

Well, the thing is, most of the locals are GONE. New Orleans is like a ghost town right now. Things are starting to come to life in the suburbs, but the city itself is mostly still uninhabitable at this point. The situation here can't really be compared to Cozumel, or even to Biloxi which was devastated by the same storm. Having 8 or more feet of water just sitting on/in homes, buildings, vehicles, etc for WEEKS creates a reather unprecedented situation. People would love to return home and begin to rebuild. But they can't do so until they get the green light to move forward - and until power and water are restored.

Please don't feel that the people of New Orleans don't care - they're just not around to help. My friends who lost homes in the city are spread all over the country after evacuating - they are in Arkansas, Texas, Oregon, and even Hawaii lol! And no intentions of coming back until at LEAST January or February. There's just nothing to come back to.

Just to let you know I've updated my site with photos and info this morning: www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma

Good news about businesses reopening - we'll be ready for 14 November!

Let me know if I can help with any other questions...

Bruce - I'll see what I can find out about Caribe Blue.

Best wishes

Ian

PS - let's be careful with Cozumel / New Orleans comparisons - Cozumel has around 100,000 inhabitants, New Orleans has millions..!

Bruce - I'll see what I can find out about Caribe Blue.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

PS - let's be careful with Cozumel / New Orleans comparisons - Cozumel has around 100,000 inhabitants, New Orleans has millions..!

Definitely. It is like comparing Apples to Dells.

Until I feel comfortable with Cozy being equal to other options, I will choose those other options. I've got a limited budget, limited time with the family on vacation and feel obligated to choose a cruise with ports which I feel are safe and will be entertaining to all of us.

I am glad that some want to be on the leading edge, when they report back I'll consider booking a cruise to Cozy. There are just too many choices to gamble.

My heart does go out to the people, but our vacation is not a charity event.

Not to say with the proper incentive from the cruise line we would not pick a cruise with a stop in Cozy, but otherwise I think the lines will see a fall off on bookings (until people are comfortable with the conditions there).

The purpose of my cruise is to spend quality time with my daughter and mother and I guess I can do that on any beach! But, I, for one, am hoping my cruise in January still stops in Cozumel. My plans in Cozumel include sitting on Paradise Beach, having a few drinks and some nachos, a little shopping and a stop at Carlos and Charlies to see the sights! It sounds like, if they can tender us in, that I'll be able to do that.

If the alternate port is Costa Maya, that would be ok, since I've been there and liked it, but I have heard that another alternate port is Progresso. I've never been to Progresso and have heard mixed reviews.

I guess I'll just be surprised and let Carnival take me where they want!:rolleyes:

gjules,

This will be my third time on her! So I obviously love her. I have only been on her for the 7 night cruises though... I think 4 is too short, but my whole family is going, so I didnt have much choice. She is my second favorite ship. The Spirit is my favorite. I love the Inspiration, she is easy to get around on, and the service has always been wonderful. The staff know you by name by the second day out. I wish they would put her back on 7 nights!

Glad to hear how much you enjoyed the Inspiration. I was on the Miracle my first cruise and absolutely loved it! I'm sure I'll have a great time; I'm going with my 21 yr old dd and my 78 yr old dm, so it should be interesting anyway! This is their first cruise and only my second. I'm just chomping at the bit to get out of the midwest and onto a ship with a drink of the day in my hand!

Archived