Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

I'm so glad to hear that the ships will continue to dock in Cozumel...this is exactly what Cozumel needs to bring it back to how it was prior to Wilma.

Have fun in Cozumel!!!!! :D

I'm not wishing to start an argument, but I think you meant to say "Stop" in Cozumel, not "Dock" in Cozumel since the ships will be tendering passengers ashore for the time being.

All you cruisers who are going to Cozumel in the next weeks, please post a review of your day as soon as you can. Where you went, what you did and what the conditions are. We seem to be back to square one as far as planning goes since post-Wilma is going to be different from pre-Wilma even at places that have been there a long time. Some will be even better (Paradise Beach) while some may not recover for a long time (Dzul Ha).

Yes, I am also interested in how well they are recovering. I am interested in news about the beautiful East Coast area, I just love stopping at one of the little beach restaurants and order a seafood platter, beer and enjoy the ocean...I hope that is still possible.

I've been to Coz once before, and the highlight of our day there was Cozumel Mini-Golf! It was such a beautiful place, so tropical looking...to see the many iguanas sunning themselves was so cool! And of course, the walkie-talkie drink ordering was great too! ;-)

Does anyone know if it suffered any/much damage? We'll be there in April, and we'd love to stop again!!

Cindy

Hi all

First off - the minigolf is fine Cindy! Scott will re-open on Monday - minus some leaves but the course is almost perfect!

You can see a pic here: http://www.wilmacozumel.com/images/minigolf.jpg

Great news that are Carnival are sending ships from Monday, hopefully they'll decide to send more soon too... why not tell them if you want to go there but have been told you can't...? You can contact them here: http://www.carnival.com/contactus.aspx

A big party is planned downtown to welcome the ships on Monday... I shall post more info as soon as I have it...!

Best wishes

Ian

PS - damn, bruce the semantic policeman got us again... I reckon you're right bruce, you can only say 'dock' if the ships stops at a 'dock' (which is defined as a platform like structure)... so I guess you guys will be 'stopping', or 'mooring' in Cozumel.... I still say it wasn't 'destroyed' though hehe :)

I'm not wishing to start an argument, but I think you meant to say "Stop" in Cozumel, not "Dock" in Cozumel since the ships will be tendering passengers ashore for the time being.

Yes, that is what I meant...thx for the correction. The point I was trying to make is that the people of Cozumel need our business and w/out the ships "stopping" there it will take longer for the Island to recover. I'm sorry if the words I chose may have confused anyone.

Ian,

Any word on if Mr. Sancho's will be up and running on the 22nd. I saw that San Francisco beach is opening, but can't find any info on Mr. Sancho's. Have you heard if Costa Mediterranea will stop at Coz on the 22nd? My tickets came today from Italy and it still has all the tours in the booklet. If Carnival ships are going back I hope Costa will also.

Beth

It looks like our ship will be calling on Cozumel on Dec 14th. Which beach club is in the best shape after Wilma. Nachi Cocum, Palm Beach or you tell me in your opinion. any Palm trees left ? Is there any part of this island that was not damaged by Wilma? It is my friends first time to Cozumel, I have been there at least 4 or 5 times. Wish my friend could see Cozumel that way I saw it.

Yes, that is what I meant...thx for the correction. The point I was trying to make is that the people of Cozumel need our business and w/out the ships "stopping" there it will take longer for the Island to recover. I'm sorry if the words I chose may have confused anyone.
No worries. I totally agree with you about Cozumel needing the financial support from the cruise passengers. I'll be doing my part too.

First off - the minigolf is fine Cindy! Scott will re-open on Monday - minus some leaves but the course is almost perfect!

I'm so happy to hear Golfito is okay! We had a great time there in July when we visited. Have great photos of oldest son with one of the iguanas!

I know I posted this questions yesterday but today I could not find my thread. So Im sure any locals who would want to help me could not find my post either. So I will just keep reposting

It looks like our ship will be calling on Cozumel on Dec 14th. Which beach club is in the best shape after Wilma. Nachi Cocum, Palm Beach or you tell me in your opinion. any Palm trees left ? Is there any part of this island that was not damaged by Wilma? It is my friends first time to Cozumel, I have been there at least 4 or 5 times. Wish my friend could see Cozumel that way I saw it.:eek:

Hi all

It's official: 12 ships will be coming next week to Cozumel, including some from Carnival, which is great news. The Cozumel Tourism Promotion Board put out a press release today - see my site for the story: www.wilmacozumel.com

A local paper is reporting we could have 15 in fact, so some more could still be added to the list.

Are we ready? YES!!! There is going to be a week-long carnival-style party downtown next week, so the first returning cruisers will have a really special time...!

w3kp, jbbnb - Mr Sancho lost quite a lot of beach and won't re-open until 15 December (their manager told me a few days ago). Nachi Cocom was already closed down before Wilma - I'm not sure why - although I've heard they are making repairs, so maybe they plan to re-open some time.

Paradise Beach and Playa Mia will definitely be open, San Francisco I'm still not sure about. Paradise Beach is looking really good and I will be doing a report about it and the other beaches on my website over the weekend, I plan to visit them all to see how they look on Saturday afternoon... so register on my site if you'd like updates!

Sherri has a great account of Wilma on her site cozumelinsider.com as QTBabyNurse pointed out - but bear in mind most those photos are from a while ago and the island looks a lot better now! You can see some of the photos of the recovery on my site too...

Best wishes - hope to see you all back in Cozumel very soon!

Ian

Hats off to the people of Cozumel and the Mexican Government. It is absolutely amazing that they can handle 12 cruise ships such a short time after the hurricane. They were hit so much worse and for so much longer than Katrina hit the Gulf Coast. I know the hotels are badly damaged, but I think we could learn from their construction techniques. Sounds like a great fiesta this week. Wish I were going to be there. But we'll be getting there in February. My husband is hoping 3 Hermanos weren't hit too hard and will be taking out flyfishermen (him and friends) to the flats by that time for bonefish.

the itinerary for my Jan 29th on Mariner of Seas w/ stop in Cozumel just was changed to a sea day for Feb 3rd the day we were to stop in Coz!? From what I read here Cozumel will be ready in spades by then....what gives, anyone have an inside scoop?:( :(

Wilmas conscience make the cruise line change this!!!!!

Sooooo SAD MAO

Hi all

Nachi Cocom was already closed down before Wilma - I'm not sure why - although I've heard they are making repairs, so maybe they plan to re-open some time.

I think the reason they were closed was due to a problem they were having with mangroves. Don't know the details on that.

Nachi Cocom had minor damage due to Wilma. The main palaypa camE down and the dock was destroyed. No damage to pool, jacuzzi or bar.

Nachi Cocom will not be open for awhile. Paradise Beach and Palm Beach will be open on Monday, November 14. The damage that Wilma caused is quickly being repaired, rebuilt and vegetation blossoming back in. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprized with what you see when you get here.

I know I posted this questions yesterday but today I could not find my thread. So Im sure any locals who would want to help me could not find my post either. So I will just keep reposting

It looks like our ship will be calling on Cozumel on Dec 14th. Which beach club is in the best shape after Wilma. Nachi Cocum, Palm Beach or you tell me in your opinion. any Palm trees left ? Is there any part of this island that was not damaged by Wilma? It is my friends first time to Cozumel, I have been there at least 4 or 5 times. Wish my friend could see Cozumel that way I saw it.:eek:

So sorry this wasn´t answered yet...I think I answered your question on another post. Somewhere...I know your frustration...I tried to find my post but couldn´t! But the answer was yes there are lots of palm trees. All the beach clubs received some form of damage. The ones that will be open by Monday include: Palm Beach, Playa Mia, Paradise Beach and Uvas. Each is unique.

Archived