Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Hi Starfamily, Sharks,

I haven't noticed any of the seafront diamond stores open yet, they have cabinets to replace not to mention windows. But... they have committed to have stores open for 14 Nov and I'm sure they will...

I'll try to go by tomorrow morning to get some photos for www.yourcontactintheamericas.com/wilma

Chankanaab was hit very hard I believe, but it's a natural park and nature is great at bouncing back! One thing is becoming clear, this hurricane has really helped clean out some of the human garbage on the island... trees and animals will grow back faster than the buildings I think - the other side this morning was very beautiful for example... I saw (land) turtles, iguanas, beautiful white herons (storks!?) but not a piece of garbage to be seen on the beach! (pictures will be on my site tomorrow I hope).

I should also have news soon about what cruise ship passengers can bring to help...!

Ian in STILL beautiful Cozumel!

I asked if about the status of their stores in Cozumel as I really wanted to upgrade my ring on this trip, here is their reply

quote:

We are unsure as to the likely hood of our stores being open this month in

cozumel. Also, you are correct about the upgrade policy.

We are committed to providing you with a comfortable online shopping

experience, beautiful jewelry, and superb customer service.

Thank you for shopping at Diamonds International. Please visit us again

soon!

_____

Diamonds International Customer Service

www.shopdi.com <http://www.shopdi.com/>

I REALLY hope that they can get them open, I would like nothing better than to spend my money there. I really hope this date of November 14th is not just wishfull thinking. As much as I love Cozumel after being on the first ship back to GC after Ivan and having nothing to do I would rather not go back if the island is not ready. I am not trying to be cold hearted, I love Cozumel but the fact does remain this trip cost me a great deal of money and I would be very upset if the cruiseline had us pay port charges for a port that we could not do anything in.

I understand that tourism is very important to the local economy and am more than happy to give my tourist dollars to the island, PROVIDED there is something available worth spending it on. I hope the cruiselines do not get misled that things are all up and running and we get there with almost everything closed and trashed like we did in grand cayman last year.:(

So it looks as though we will be heading to Cozumel after all on our 11/20/05 cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. I was wondering if our favorite spot Pancho's Backyard will be open? It's the one at the pier not the one downtown. Does anyone know how much damage they got? Are all the employees ok? That's the only reason why we get off the ship.

Thanks

Hi-

We have been able to start posting news on our site- and will continue to post more as things change. Here is a copy of the latest up to date Cozumel information for all you that are wondering.

COZUMEL: POST WILMA ~ GENERAL UPDATE

ATTN: THOSE OF YOU WITH TOUR/ACCOMMODATION RESERVATIONS THROUGH COZUMELINSIDER WILL RECEIVE SUBSEQUENT EMAILS CONCERNING YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATIONS

Those of you reading this already know that Cozumel as well as the entire Maya Riviera Coast of Mexico sustained a direct hit last Thursday, Friday & Saturday (October 20-23) from slow moving hurricane WILMA. According to those who have been here the longest, WILMA was an even worse storm than the legendary GILBERT of 1988 that we’ve all heard talk of these many years. In addition, according to news reports, WILMA was the worst storm ever recorded in history in the Atlantic. WILMA moved over the island of Cozumel from south to north with the eye passing directly over the northern tip of the island. A strong northerly front that was moving southward caused WILMA to literally stall over top of us and at one point the hurricane was only moving at 3 km per hour.

The strength of the storm coupled with its slow movement created catastrophic force winds, wave action and rain which caused tremendous damage to the island not only on the beachfront areas but well inland as well. For example there were as many fallen power poles on Ave 65 (12 blocks inland) as there were on Melgar beach front street.

This update is far from complete of course because of our own lack of information. There has been of course no TV/cable/internet access & radio broadcasting just returned on Saturday. Instead, this update is intended to provide some information on the state of things as we know it and to provide reassurance to all of our many family, friends and valued customers who are wondering how we are. As more folks come on line now, more information will appear from those of us who are actually here on the island surviving in the aftermath of WILMA.

US PERSONALLY

Both Jacqueline and I are just fine. Even though I wanted to stay at my beach house for the storm, I decided at the last minute to scoop up my 3 cats and impose on Jacqueline and Ali at their house in town away from the beachfront area since my IslaMar Villas were full of guests.

Little did any of us know we would be locked down for 3 full days as WILMA slowly pounded away at the island. Jacqueline, Ali and I were fortunate in that we did not experience flooding during the storm however through a hole in the wood window protector, we witnessed others in the neighborhood fleeing their homes in knee deep water as best they could carrying their belongings in big plastic bags. Some folks were forced to do this in very dangerous conditions and were tying rope from one place to another in order to hold on and make forward progress against the wind. Others were able to wait to relocate until it was a bit calmer when the eye of WILMA was passing over.

Although the rumors were rampant after the storm about loss of life, “officially” there were NO deaths reported thanks to everyone’s extensive preparation.

Jacqueline & I enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches and chips 3 meals a day for 3 days and lost some weight (the WILMA diet!). Ali was able to enjoy her cereal with iced down milk as well as waffles and pretzels while we weathered the storm.

I believe Jacqueline is the Monopoly queen of Cozumel while Ali is the backgammon champ of the world! We could only play during daylight hours because candlelight encouraged too much cheating! ;-)

Luckily, Jacqueline was able to get Ali on a plane to Dallas on Wednesday after WILMA as many other parents did the same. In anticipation of scarce resources and less than ideal living conditions, many opted to send the families back to the States or the mainland temporarily until things improve.

THE ISLAND

As for the eastside, the road is in even worse shape than after EMILY since there were no sand dunes on the water side to help protect the road. It was completely washed out in many sections and there are huge chunks out in others so visiting the other side of the island is prohibited at this time for safety reasons.

The Westside beach clubs and hotels which are south of the cruise ship piers also sustained heavy damage due to the large waves and surge. As soon as we are allowed access into these areas, we will begin updating the COZUMELINSIDER Beach Chart with the status of each club. However, they are all also working toward the same operational goal as the rest of the island of November 14th to receive visitors.

The 3 cruise ship piers all sustained some damage with Puerta Maya being the hardest hit. In the meantime, if necessary cruise passengers will be tendered into port.

Downtown beachfront street (Rafael Melgar) took a heavy blow as well with storm surge and waves passing over the seawalls and roadway and penetrating storefronts. There were piles of seaweed 3 feet high as far back as Avenida 5 (1 block back) all along the beachfront area of downtown. For the most part, the majority of stores on Melgar still have a shell structure but the interiors and all contents were destroyed.

In our building on Melgar where there are 11 businesses, hurricane shutters were ripped off the building completely on the sea side causing all window glass to break. The same force then shoved all contents into front windows and shutters breaking them as well. As a result, Melgar was awash in piles of wet, salty sandy, rubble. However, within just a couple of days, businesses began to clean out and the city began using bulldozers to clear the roadway and debris. Currently, Melgar is clean and safely passable by car.

Examples of the extent of the force of the storm ~

The Pastry refrigerator of Rock n Java Café was found across the street at the gas plant.

The commercial propane tank atop Rock n Java was found on the second floor of Punta Langosta Mall (100 yards away) where TGI Fridays restaurant was located.

A 20,000 liter petroleum holding tank washed out of the gas storage area and ended up half a block away in front of Barracuda Hotel.

ELECTRICITY

For safety reasons, electrical power was cut Thursday evening October 20th. As WILMA ended Sunday morning, probably 99% of the island was without the prospect of power due to extensive damage to power poles and lines. Beginning this past Saturday October 29th various areas began having power restored. In addition, a freight ferry was able to dock and offload many 18-wheelers loaded with new power poles, cable and transformers. Each day more and more neighborhoods are getting electricity.

PHONE & CABLE

Since phone and cable lines often follow in line with electrical lines and poles, these networks were also severely damaged. There is very little phone service available at all. There were some public phones functioning after the storm and up until yesterday, TELMEX provided free national and international calls up to 3 minutes in order for islanders to advise friends and family of their situations.

Obviously with little phone service, internet capabilities are extremely limited and had been impossible up until the past couple of days.

WATER

Before WILMA, everyone tried to stock up on drinking water and fill their tinacos on roofs. For about 1 week afterward, drinking water was scarce and lines were the norm to acquire garafons or precious ice to keep basic food stuffs chilled. For example, in order to get ice, folks have had to line up to obtain a ticket which gives you a specific time to come back later in the day for your ONE bag per person of ice.

The City began releasing water on Saturday after obtaining a provisional power source to be able to pump water through the lines. However, there is no water pressure and the water being released is still contaminated from the storm and is yellow or greenish in appearance. Those households receiving this water are forced to carry buckets and containers of it up to their rooftops since there is no power to operate water pumps.

GASOLINE

Before WILMA, there were long lines at all gas stations to fill car and moped tanks however even longer lines afterward since it was several days before the stations were able to pump the gas. The Juarez & 30 gas station was partially operational as was the Juarez transversal station however the Puerta Maya location was substantially damaged and completely inoperable at this point.

Once the stations began pumping gas on Wednesday, each person was limited to $150 pesos (about USD$15) and it could only be pumped into a car/moped gas tank. In order to decrease the “waiting in line time” which could be as much as 6 hours, one had get in line by 5am to be near the front and then wait until they began pumping at 8:30am. No gas has been available for any diving or recreational purposes at all. In addition, the car rental companies were prohibited from renting vehicles in order to limit gas consumption except for those being provided to the electrical workers who came in from the mainland to assist with the recovery process.

HOTELS & ACCOMMODATIONS

We do not yet know first hand and we do not want to speculate or pass on incorrect information about the status of any hotel and its operational capability. We do know from simple visual inspection that all hotels, especially on the beachfront, were damaged but to what extent or how long repairs will take is not yet known. At this time the City is working with the hotel association and tourism department to determine estimated re-open dates for all hotels and we will post these here as soon as we get them.

This being said, we are hopeful that those wanting to visit the island will still plan to do so as soon as possible because we all need your business now more than ever. Since many of the smaller places like B&B’s, villas and rental homes in town did not suffer significant damage, this could be a perfect opportunity for visitors to “EXPERIENCE COZUMEL BEYOND THE BEACHFRONT.”

In driving around town, we see everyone hard at work cleaning and preparing their rental and vacation properties to receive guests as early as next week as power and water are restored to the neighborhoods. I can speak first hand about my place, IslaMar Villas, where we had significant clean up to do in the garden and commons areas which is now being completed. We are currently detailing all villas and preparing for a final coat of paint later this week at which time we will be ready to operate and receive guests. So PLEASE do not change your vacation plans!! We are all here and getting ready to serve you for this season!!

TOURS, DIVING & REEF STATUS

Cozumel now has many new ruins sites for you to visit!! ;-)

All kidding aside, we are in the process of contacting all tour providers in order to determine which tours will be operational on what dates. Following meetings between City officials, the cruise line representatives as well as many of the large tour providers, everyone on the island is working toward a November 14th date of receiving our first POST WILMA cruise ship passengers.

We are sad to report that both Dolphin Discovery and Atlantida are currently not operational and all dolphins and sea lions have been safely relocated to other mainland facilities. In meeting with the Dolphin Discovery management yesterday, COZUMELINSIDER was advised that their goal is to be operational again within about 6 months and they will personally advise us well in advance so that we can begin reserving your dolphin activities once again.

As for our other many tour providers, we are now working with all them as well to determine dates of operation but this process is time consuming since phone service is still extremely limited and many roadways are blocked as new electrical posts/wires are being installed. We will update the tours/activities section of COZUMELINSIDER as necessary with regard to tour operations.

As for diving, all operators are assessing damage to their fleet (if any) and currently in a repair mode in order to be operational as soon as possible. Many dive shops have sent DMs out to assess the reef conditions and report back. As we receive this information we will post updates on REEF STATUS in the new DIVE LOG section of COZUMELINSIDER so everyone can be up to date on what we know about the reefs.

This much we do know for sure:

Some of the shallow reefs no longer exists or are severely damaged

Deep reefs are scarred but will begin re-growth as the waters calm

Many of the old, non-operational vessels sunk during the storm will provide us with new artificial reef material once relocated.

IN CLOSING

We want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has called, emailed and sent messages to us with their well wishes, prayers and concerns for us. It means a lot to know so many were thinking of us during WILMA. Due to the volume received, please forgive us for not emailing everyone a specific response back but we will continue to post this type of update as new information develops in the coming weeks.

A CRITICAL POINT FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO HELP THE ISLAND: Many Cozumel businesses, due to sheer devastation, have had to release many or all of their employees pending the return of tourism to the island. So the sooner tourists return to the island, the sooner the economic impact of WILMA will be behind us as these folks are able to return to their jobs and stabilize their lives once again.

Again, Cozumel has survived WILMA and is in a cleanup mode. It is incredible and remarkable the amount of progress that has been made in just this short week since the storm ended and we are confident this will continue for weeks to come as we approach our high season. We look forward to seeing all of you here on the island again as soon as possible!

This news is great to hear. I hope that people will want to come to Coz as soon as it is open because that is the best way to help it recover. We will be there on 12/15 from Legend of the Seas. We had planned to do some bone fishing and hope that the waters will have been calm enough for this to be good.

What about the beaches? Hopefully not all of the sand on the beaches got washed away!

I will keep checking cozumelinsider for information and thank you for your info.

Really appreciate your thorough, and realistic assessment of the area!! Some of the posts by the locals are so "optimistic" that it is really difficult to believe that they are true. Appreciate your honest assessment! God Bless you all, and God speed on the recovery efforts!

Yesterday we booked 10 cabins on the Carnival Inspiration sailing on September 21, 2006. We are ready to return to Cozumel for our third visit. This time we are cruising with 9 other couples from Miramar Beach, Fl. We realize that some of the things we have done in the past may not be quite what we remember, but the best part about going back is we get to find new things to do! All I really hope for is that Paradise Beach is back. We love your place Tom! And we can't wait to turn these other friends on to your slice of paradise.

Wayne and Cathi

Jamie

Thank you for contacting Dolphin Discovery,

Unfortunately the Cozumel location and park are in bad shape for now and will take a while to clean up and be ready for any Dolphin programs, in the mean time we are offering other locations as an option.

In regards to the cruise ships normally due to arrive at Cozumel. After Wilma we have been advised that most could be diverted to the CALICA PUNTO VENADO cruise píer, this is located at about 10 miles from the Puerto Aventuras location. This is at a distance of 30 minutes from Playa Del Carmen.

If there is a possibility that your cruise could have this or other routes to a Dolphin Discovery location, I would gretly appreciate if you could advise and see the option of changing your current Coz. booking.

The ferry crossing is only a 35 minute ride, and arrives at Playa del Carmen, located at taxi ride of 20 minutes to our Dolphin Discovery Puerto Aventuras location.

Best regards,

Oscar Orozco

The one at puerta maya is gone, the whole area looks like a parking lot from the pictures I have seen. However, the one downtown is up and running. Right now, puerta maya pier and shopping plaza does not exist.

Barb

Just wondering if my favorite spot in Cozumel is still there at the Puerto Maya Pier? I'm hoping all the employees and their families are safe too. They have some of the nicest people on staff there. Whenever we go to Cozumel that's the only place we visit.

Has anyone heard how they fared?

Thanks

Ian, not sure where you are getting all your information as it is quite "optimistic" compared to all the other information out there. Chankanaab was not a natural park, it was manmade!! The supposed "post Wilma" pictures you are posting to show how beautiful Cozumel still is are also fraudulent. What's your deal???????

:( Not sure how to post link, but have read the 'cozumel insider' news update and they write a very good report about general mood of the islanders etc., however they say that the dolphin facility has reported a schedule of approx 6 months before reopening................. so looks like my royal swim [Dec05] will not happen now - there will be other opportunities I am sure:)

Also, they have stated that they will try to contact people in a timely manner via email with updates on particular excursions, but the general view is that everyone is gearing up for the reopening on the 14 November.

I'd like to start today with an update on the damage caused to popular tourist destinations in Mexico by Hurricane Wilma.

First, Cancun and Cozumel took the worst hits. A spokeswoman for the Cancun Hotel Association said that 100% of Cancun's hotels were damaged, and that the area might not be fully recovered before Easter. According to the Association of Hotel Owners, 80% of hotel rooms were damaged, with shattered windows being the primary problem.

The government is conducting a massive clean-up effort in Cancun, clearing streets of debris and restoring access to all areas of the city. Telephone and electricity services are coming back online. Many businesses are open, including banks, grocery stores and hospitals, and additional businesses will open their doors to customers in the coming days. The Cancun airport has resumed normal operations, and almost all of the estimated 40,000 tourists who were in the Yucatan when Hurricane Wilma struck had returned home by October 29.

There are reports of beach erosion in some areas and also reports that the beach actually expanded in front of some hotels. The Cancun Convention and Visitor Bureau reports that visitors to resorts such as the Ambiance Villas, Blue Bay Club, Oasis Viva, Presidente InterContinental Cancun and Riu Caribe will now enjoy larger beaches as the result of the strong tides associated with Hurricane Wilma.

The friendly and laid-back island of Cozumel has also suffered extreme damage to homes, businesses and infrastructure. All three cruise piers are out of operation, with the newest, Puerto Maya, having been totally destroyed. Roads on the south side of the island have been destroyed, and the power is still out in many places. The island's world-famous coral formations are being evaluated and early reports indicate that deep-water formations are intact but some shallow-water formations were "affected".

Fortunately, the downtown area is in the best shape, with power and phone service and some operational restaurants. Cozumel's airport is now operational on a limited basis.

Resorts further south on the Yucatan Peninsula, in Playa del Carmen, Puerto Aventuras and Tulum, are in much better shape and many are hoping to re-open within the next month.

Hotel Closures

All hotels in Cancun and Cozumel are currently closed, and most have yet to announce when they will re-open. However, the area's peak season runs from Christmas to Easter, and efforts are being made to bring as many hotels as possible back online by mid-December. Here's a list of popular hotels that have announced how long they will remain closed. Keep in mind these dates may change as progress assessments are made.

Cancun

Cancun Palace - closed through 1/31/06

Caribbean Village Cancun by Occidental - closed through 12/20/06

Grand Oasis - closed through 1/31/06

Hyatt Cancun Caribe - closed through 1/15/06

Oasis Cancun - closed through 1/31/06

Oasis Playa - closed through 1/31/06

Sun Palace - closed through 1/31/06

Cozumel

Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel - closed through 1/31/06

==============================================

Hope this information helped some of you. Have a great day.

Jean

I have now recieved emails back from three of the largest stores in Cozumel that sell jewelry, ALL THREE say that is it very doubtful they will be reopening before December possibly not until the first of the year. The other day you posted that you had commitments from all venders to open on Nov. 14th. I would love to come to cozumel again, I would love to spend my money there but I hope people and the cruise lines are not being misled as to how rapidly this recovery really is happening. I for one would be quite upset to find out I had been lied to.

The port hasn't even opened and people are whining about what is or isn't open? It hasn't even been two weeks since the hurricane struck and is still almost two weeks until the first ship returns.

Will it be perfect? No. Would I prefer another sea day instead? $#%#$% NO. Would I like to help, tourist $$, Cozumel recover? #@$#@$% YES!

It doesn't take a long time to bulldoze the rubble into piles that are out of the way. Palm trees take a while to grow. It doesn't take long to push sand back where it belongs. Even less time to pound it.

Just looked at coz insider today and didn't see anything - we are booked for the dolphin swim thru them for April. I guess if they are saying 6 months, we may still be on. I'll keep watching the boards.... so keep the updates coming!!

I just called Dolphin Discovery because I'm booked for January. They said all appointments for November and December are cancelled. All appointments for 2006, you should call them about 6 weeks before your date scheduled for an update. He said it is possible they will be up and running again in January.

Hello,

I am booked on a 5 night western caribbean cruise with Celebrity and due into Cozumel on 11/30. I called Celebrity this morning and was told that as of 11/12, they will start cruising back to Cozumel. I had prebooked a shore excursion through Celebrity for a dolphin encounter at Chakaanab Park. I asked this morning why they were still offering this excursion for 11/30, when it has been reported that this park will be at least 6 months before it opens again. I was told that as far as Celebrity goes, they haven't received any info about this and they are running this excursion.

So, I am confused. Why wouldn't they know that the park isn't running or is there any hope that it will be operational by the end of this month. I realize that it is unlikely, but I can't understand why Celebrity says that it will be running by then. I am afraid to cancel because going by what Celebrity told me this morning, we will be going to Chakaanab and I was looking forward to a dolphin encounter. Any advice?

Erin

Archived