Hurricane Damage Discussion and Photos

samtig

Here is a link to some pictures of Paradise Beach and other Cozumel sites after Wilma hit. Scroll to see that Paradise Beach pier is still there and also lots of sand in the parking lot. We look forawrd to returning to Paradise Beach on our Rhapsody cruise in June! Link: eczm.com/wilma/Saturday1w/index.htm

Anyone have information on how Palm Beach Club, Paradise Beach and Nachi Cocom fared the hurricane? Just wondering how badly the clubs were damaged and when they will re open. Anyone have a link to a website that might report whats open and operating in Cozumel ?

I rec'd this email and found it on another thread in regard to Nachi Cocom.

I spoke with Salvador (The Club Manager) several times this week regarding the status of Nachi Cocom. First we were so happy that all of our friends from the club and the island made it through this storm unharmed. Salvador advised us that the government is implementing an excellent tax incentive program for all businesses who continue to keep employees on the payroll while the rebuilding process continues. That is very encouraging and a very positive and neccessary program. I hope many people in Cozumel will benefit from such a program and that they can continue to make ends meet while the rebuilding process is underway.

Nachi Cocom suffered damage to the main palapa and several other areas of the club. Salvador will be sending me photos (when he is able) that he would like us to post for those who are interested. Salvador says the beach actually looks quite good considering. The pool and Jacuzzi have survived. Certainly it will take many weeks to repair what has been damaged. It all depends on insurance settlements, labor and materials, and several other factors as to when exactly. As you all may recall, Hurricane Emily closed the doors at Nachi and the ensuing problem with a mangrove issue caused further delays to their reopening. This has not been a great year for Nachi. Now, the beach club is aiming for a Mid to late December opening. This may be optimistic, as past reopening dates were missed, but I hope for the sake of our friends who work at Nachi and who derive their incomes from Nachi that the club will reopen as soon as possible. We hope the same for each and every beach club and business in Cozumel.

I was in Cancun in 1988 when Gilbert hit. I personally saw the destruction in Cancun and Cozumel. The island rebounded quickly. My home in Grand Cayman was severly beaten by Hurricane Ivan last September and the island has rebounded beautifully. I was in Cozumel when Emily crossed the southern tip of the isalnd in July. It was uplifting to see the solidarity of the people working together to ready their island for visitors once again. It is very much like someone preparing their home for company. That is the pride with which the people of Cozumel will move forward. This is an island that will rebound quickly. The wonderful people of Cozumel, as many of you know, are resilient and will band together and work hand in hand to reopen Cozumel and make it an even better destination for visitors to enjoy. So many people have asked what they can do to help in Cozumel. The best response I can give you is to go there, vacation there, and spend your money there. Your presence and support is the greatest gift you can give to Cozumel. Book a cruise that goes to Cozumel. Make a reservation for a hotel, reserve an island excursion or tour, arrange a rental car, make a restaurant reservation, book a dive at your favorite dive shop. Let the people know that help is on the way. There may be many scars, but they will heal quickly, and the new Cozumel that emerges from this set back will be better than ever. The people of Cozumel will ensure it is!

Andrew at Cozumel Cruise Excursions

Here is a link to some pictures of Paradise Beach and other Cozumel sites after Wilma hit. Scroll to see that Paradise Beach pier is still there and also lots of sand in the parking lot. We look forawrd to returning to Paradise Beach on our Rhapsody cruise in June! Link: eczm.com/wilma/Saturday1w/index.htm

Interesting site. Even found one of the Palm Beach signs:

Saturday1w%20068.jpg

JrvJR0YqSrUU5FNU-xp5uERM0upiqhxG0300.jpg

Hello all! Just a capsule of the last 11 days...

Wilma decided to visit Cozumel on Thursday, October 20th. As of 11:45 that night I was still emailing family and friends that "it was not so bad" but I knew the worst was yet to come. I had prepared my home, a small cottage with thick cement walls and roof, by boarding up the bathroom window. That would serve as my safe haven. I know that sounds crazy but you would have to see my place. It was all that was necessary. Most of my neighbors in their identical cottages didn't board at all. We are in such a well protected spot on relatively high ground.

I lost power sometime during that first night, but my telephone held. I have never talked on the phone to the U.S. so much in all my seven years here in Cozumel. The front half of the storm was tolerable. My northern windows face a high cement wall that blocked a good bit of the water. What little came in was easy to attack on a regular basis.

I was fortunate to have good friends (including PB Tom, who called almost daily from Mexico City) keep me abreast of the storm's progress. We had a shorter than expected (or desired) break when the eye brushed the downtown area where I live. It gave us time to check in with the surrounding cottages and even walk a block in each direction to see the damage so far. That was the most we had time for, about a 40 minute window that was still very gusty. Based on what I was being told, the back half of the storm was bigger but held less rain. It was hard to come to grips with the fact that we were less than halfway through this crawling monster.

When I awoke the following morning, the wind had shifted and my floor had a quarter inch of water just about everywhere. I squeegeed (spelling?) for about two hours and then just had to keep up with it about once an hour. I knew I was incredibly lucky. And yes, my phone still worked. I never used my "safe haven" except to use the toilet.

After an eternity, Wilma moved on. Skies were grey but a small occasional blue patch was visible from time to time. This was Sunday afternoon, October 23rd. It was time to take a real look.

Looking back a week later (today is the 31st) I almost can't recall how bad it was. Most of the downtown trees had already been downed by hurricane Emily in July. The remaining vegetation was leafless and the structural damage was unbelievable. Inland neighborhoods had 18 inches of water for blocks on end. Power and telephone poles lay everywhere. Yet, my phone still worked.

Within 24 hours the Mexican government brought 2,000 additional electrical workers to the island. Volunteers from all over the country (Mexico) poured in. Military arrived to establish curfews and eliminate looting. Ships arrived with supplies. Helicopters flew continuously to unload. I am proud to belong on this island.

Disaster brings out the best and worst. There are countless stories of generosity and loss; no one is just sitting around. There are houses to bail out, friends to track down, pets to comfort, an island to clean up and an economy to get back on track. Those who have, share. Those who don't, receive graciously. Wilma did not spare anyone.

I had power restored yesterday evening, October 30th. A number of friends already had their power restored a day or two prior. Much of the island is still without, but many internet cafes are open and charge only a dollar per hour. Working public phones can be found in every block downtown. Those with power are happy to plug in a cell phone for those without. Food has been dispensed and the supermarket seems to have plenty of dry goods on hand. Even the tiny convenience store around the corner has milk and eggs. The smell of fresh baked bread from the many Cozumel bakeries is intoxicating.

The cleanup... what can I say. It has been just amazing. Please banish all thoughts of having to climb over concrete rubble and broken glass when you arrive in Cozumel on November 14th. As power is restored and supplies reach the island, stores are opening for business. Restaurants are starting to serve and the food is even more delicious than ever before, prepared with the knowledge that it is such a treat to eat out. Tour operators are chomping at the bit to show you our beautiful home, Cozumel. There is still much work to be done, but we have two weeks to complete it. Given that only one week has passed, I have no doubt that by the deadline, Cozumel will be ready to receive you.

Certainly you want the best possible vacation, especially those of you who have suffered under similar or worse circumstances. But you'll have to see it to believe it. Cozumel is special. Cozumeleños are extraordinary. Come to Cozumel.

Sally,

Thanks for the update. We're on the Jewel, scheduled for Cozumel on the 15th. Haven't booked any excursions as of yet, aside from a sunset catamaran trip...we just can't seem to come to an agreement on anything else right now... ;)

Glad to see you made it through...

Wonderful News!!!

I almost wish our cruise was one week later. Cozumel was the island I was most looking forward to visiting. Oh Well, maybe next year.

I'm still glad that everything is working out and that cozzy will be back on it's feet in no time!! Best of Luck to you everyone in Cozumel!!!!

~Connie

Hello all! Just a capsule of the last 11 days...

emailing family and friends that "it was not so bad" but I knew the worst was yet to come. The front half of the storm was tolerable.

IBased on what I was being told, the back half of the storm was bigger but held less rain. It was hard to come to grips with the fact that we were less than halfway through this crawling monster.

I just knew you guys would get Cozumel going again quick! Hated to hear speculation from people not there that it would take months.

Glad you are doing well and thanks for posting the update! How awsome and I'm sure it creates such a sense of community!

The nasty little secret about hurricanes is that no one tells you the back half is the worst and does the most damage.

Hi Sally

I am glad to hear your safe and sound!!!

I have a question. I have friends that run a scuba dive off there boat the NENA they are located at MARINA CALETA on the south side of town. Do you know if that Marina came out OK? I have not heard from them since the storm.

There names are Christina and Luis. They own divewithchristina.com

Thank you

Chuck

Sally,

Really glad to hear from you. I knew the almost everyone on the island was OK, but it is better to hear from you directly and know for certain that you survived the storm.

My family and I will be there December 18-24 and we will do what we can to help out by eating at lots of restaurants and spending money.

Hi Guys, just a quick note...the pier is not gone. It took a good beating and will need work but it is there. Even the palapa at the end is still there! I don´t know which beach those guys were looking at when they reported that both us and San Fran lost our piers... NEWS FLASH guys, San Fran hasn´t had a pier for at least 10 years! Hopefully Aldora has better luck identifying locations under the water.....
kind of funny Tom, not the destruction but the part about SF not having a pier for 10 years.

Just to defend Dave a little. He isn't on the island at present, he is only reporting what his manager has told him.

I have seen the photos showing the PB pier which doesn't look too bad.

CozSally,

Thanks for the update. You, PB Tom, Caro and the other Cozumelenos make the island such a terrific place to visit.

Cozumel did not dodge the bullet, but took it directly. So it's nice to hear that the recovery is proceeding so speedily. Our family is looking forward to visiting the revived Yucatan next summer!

I knew you guys could do it!!!! I am so excited about coming to Cozumel Thanksgiving week (our second time). I said all along....even if its not 100% I still want to go there rather than another island. I booked this cruise just for Cozumel!!!!! I love it and can't wait to come. Thanks again Sally and God bless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if this link has been posted but it does have a history of pictures before, during and after the storm. The one big thing of note is that the folks on the island are not waiting around in lines or complaining and asking where the Mexican equivalen of FEMA is. Even before the storm had past, they were out in the streets cleaning up. Cozumel will be back (maybe not quite as good as new but still great) while folks in New Orleans and South Florida are still asking why someone is not coming to help us.

http://eczm.com/wilma/index.htm

Hi Guys, just a quick note...the pier is not gone. It took a good beating and will need work but it is there. Even the palapa at the end is still there! I don´t know which beach those guys were looking at when they reported that both us and San Fran lost our piers... NEWS FLASH guys, San Fran hasn´t had a pier for at least 10 years! Hopefully Aldora has better luck identifying locations under the water....

The sand is not gone, it just relocated to our parking lot, lawn, main entrance etc...:D We are gathering it up and putting it back where it belongs. The ocean is also helping out by bringing it back, slowly...surely.

Good to hear more from you Tom. Keep us posted as to your progress!

Sally, we will be there on Nov. 24th, assuming that you don't limit the # of cruise ships allowed in a day. Do you know if all of the beaches will be up and running? We had planned on doing the dolphin swim at Chankanaab, which is now not going to happen and then we were planning on PB from noon on. Do you know if they'll be open and have lounge chairs for us?

May have to replace the swim with a nice massage. (Got any recommendations? hehehe)

Hi all

I live in Cozumel and work with many businesses that offer tours and services to cruise ship passengers. I am in Cozumel now and I was here during Wilma - I'm now back online as the island recovers fast.

I've been catching up on the discussions and I'd like to deliver an important message from the cruise-related businesses on the island...

We're ready for you!!!

The spirit of the people is incredible, the whole island has been out shoulder to shoulder cleaning up and rebuilding. Power has already returned to essential downtown areas and many tourist shops, bars and restaurants are open - NOW!

Cruise ship shore excursions are also ready to go - if a cruise ship arrived today the passengers would still be spoilt for choice with things to do and the Cozumel people would be delighted to see them.

The first cruise ship - from Royal Caribbean - will arrive in 2 weeks - it's fantastic that Royal Caribbean are standing by the island right now and I'm sure that once they recommence trips here other cruise lines will follow suit.

The Royal Caribbean passengers that arrive on 14 Nov will be amazed how fast the island is repairing itself. Don't think this is a public relations exercise, the island really is recovering fast...

Yes, piers have been damaged, but this is not a problem. In the short term, passengers can be brought in safely by tender - this is how it used to work in Cozumel, and indeed it works this way in many other western Caribbean destinations.

Fury Catamarans is one of my clients - their boats are 100% okay and they are ready to run tours today.

Paradise Beach is another of my clients - the building containing the office, kitchen and bar was damaged and is being knocked down. Sand was moved from the beach, but already most of this has been recovered and the beach itself will be ready in a few days. Once that is done a temporary bar and kitchen will open so the beach can once again welcome visitors. All the beach toys, chairs and umbrellas are 100% okay and ready to be used. The pier is still there but is a little wonky - it will make for a good photo! They should be ready to receive visitors in the coming weeks...

Aviomar - one of the island's biggest tour operators - is also ready with a number of shore excursions, I'll let you know which ones if I hear more...

I believe Playa Mia have also committed to reopening for cruise ship passengers in the coming weeks too.

Chankanaab natural park was hit hard but I understand it is being given the highest priority now during the clean up - I'll let you know if I hear any more.

Like I say, don't be put off visiting Cozumel - there are plenty of impressive photos of the damage that was done, but they are already outdated - you can walk in many parts of town today and not believe that a hurricane was even there.

We hope to persuade all the cruise lines to start visiting again in days and weeks, not months. If you would like to help the people of Cozumel, why not contact your cruise line and express your support...? (send me a copy if you like: wilmas_conscience@yourcontactintheamericas.com)

Some cruise line contact details are below for you...

We look forward to welcoming you all to Cozumel again very soon... I'm online and happy to help with questions where I can too...!

Ian

Writer/Photographer/Marketing Consultant in Cozumel

--

Support Cozumel by contacting to your cruise line!

=====================================

Carnival: http://www.carnival.com/contactus.aspx

Royal Caribbean: https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do

Princess: Call 1-800-PRINCESS

Disney: https://secure.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/general/contactUs?name=ContactUsPage

Holland America: http://www.hollandamerica.com/contacts/contacts.do

Norwegian: Call 800-327-7030

Celebrity: https://secure.celebrity.com/contactus/custSvcsForm.do

Archived