Alaska -- mosquitos late June?

McFins

Hi all. I've read some posts and general info on Alaska and am wondering how bad the mosquitos are in the last two weeks of June or July for any folks that may have actually cruised at that time. I realize that we cannot completely predict how the weather (and thus mosquitos) will be but am wondering if folks wouldn't mind sharing their experience with such.

From what I have read, it seems that June could be warmer/drier than July/August when it is cooler/wetter which is why I would want to consider June....but wondering if the tradeoff is really bothersome mosquitos.

As always, really appreciate all the good info on this site. Thanks so much for any advice you may have.

I visited Alaska in early August (land trip) and the mosquitoes I saw were the biggest mosquitoes I have ever seen in my life. Including the legs, two inches in length. And there were swarms of them.

Not sure if it is different on a cruise but our home base was Anchorage and we drove to the surrounding areas... Denali, Homer, Seward, Matanuska Glacier.

I'd suggest a bug spray with DEET, or if you don't like DEET, try the DEET-free alternatives such as lemon eucalyptus.

Mosquitos in search of such succulent prime flesh not having to worry about

a forest of bear fur moose and elk hide !

You won't find the critters at sea although they have been known to hitchhike.

And for the most part you won't find them lingering in the big cities -

Anchorage or any wind blown habitat.

But get off the beaten path and dinner is served and it is summer so no parkas

or foul weather gear to contend with - and oh yeah a bit of dusk light it is so

candlelight scrumptious - thank you for being our dinner for this occasion !

So keep that in mind no romantic hiking to see the moon come over the mountain.

Encounters at Denali park and Alyeska are voracious and while they are not like

Minnesota mosquitos flying around with 55 gallon barrel syringes awaiting a

blood donation they are terribly pesky in pursuit in formation numbers typical

of Alaska. You can outrun them but when you pause for a breath that very

breath will give you away.

Cover every inch of skin and wear gloves and use heavy applications of DEET.

Don't expect those novelty belt clip on devices to protect you all these will do

is announce your presence - dinner is here guys !

In daytime (heck it is almost total daytime in Alaska cruise season) stay out

of dark shadow places - forest glens - calm undisturbed areas these are bait

areas awaiting your contribution participation !

For after the attack medical attention I have found a hot shower and Cortizone

10 helps the return to normal opening up the pours for the next round *

Suggestion forgo that next round with these pesky critters - make your visit

and be gone - once bitten you should know better !

Have been in AK the past 10 days. Anchorage, Denali, Copper River area, including spending 8 hours on the river, and Homer and have yet to see a mosquito, though at Copper River we did have some pesky gnats. Stuck a repellant band on and that was the end of that.

So when is a good time to visit Alaska.. I know Im going to have to go at some time as part of an Amtrak or VIA coast to coast..

I would rather avoid taking a pallet of cortizone along though

They are huge in Alaska! I will say we saw them a lot more inland but did come across a bunch in Seward ( and Valdez but guessing you aren't going there). Not to bad in Ketchikan for any of my visits, then some in Juneau many years ago. Im sure weather/wind play a part. I always take a good bug spray in case!

Wow... maybe they should do mosquitoes tours; would be something to see!<g>

I've read that they aren't an issue so much on the inside passage routes.

I only saw one and that was in Skagway. I did carry wipes ocassionally, but never needed them.

I visited Alaska in early August (land trip) and the mosquitoes I saw were the biggest mosquitoes I have ever seen in my life. Including the legs, two inches in length. And there were swarms of them.

Not sure if it is different on a cruise but our home base was Anchorage and we drove to the surrounding areas... Denali, Homer, Seward, Matanuska Glacier.

I'd suggest a bug spray with DEET, or if you don't like DEET, try the DEET-free alternatives such as lemon eucalyptus.

It seems as though the message is that, like the scouts, you should be prepared. As mentioned, it is probably down to weather and local circumstances as to whether mozzies will be a pain. So make sure you are ready. (Irritatingly, the DEET we bought in 2009 for South Africa may no longer be at its best, but up to 5yrs shelf life is supposed to be OK).

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

I have done the inside passage for the last three years all taking place the last week of June first week of July (always over the 4th.) I have never had a problem with Mosquitos.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...