child menus

Please no flamming. i just want to know. I have a 5 year old neice that will be going on a cruise in January. I know they a child menu but my neice loves seafood. Shrimp, lobster. My question is she is paying the same price as anyother 3rd person in the room so does that mean she can eat off the adult menu? or do they frown on a child ordering off the adult menu?

Our daughter was 5 on a Carnival cruise in January and she ate mostly off the child menu... but 2 weeks ago on Voyager of the Seas she was able to read and was delighted to go through the adult menu each night and place her own order. She would go through the entire menu and choose a soup or starter, a salad, entree and desert. she would add specifics like "I would like iceberg lettuce with dressing on the side".

So later on in the week we got to Johnny Rockets, with an easy menu to navigate. When the server got there she confidently stated "I would like chicken fingers, onion rings, and beer."

Our heads turned around 360 degrees.

After qucikly regrouping on a milkshake, I asked her "do you know what beer is?"

She replied "Yes. It's a yello fizzy drink that Daddy has."

We'll remember that foreverer!

My kids always order off the adult menu. On our last cruise they were 11-dd and 7-ds.

My daughter usually orders just chicken, steak and/or a salad but my son, on this cruise ordered

Escargot for the first time (LOVED IT) and shrimp cocktail (has had before).

He also usually loves the chilled soups. One night he did want a burger so he ordered off the kids menu but they always find something they love on the adult menu.

Don’t worry, she can order from wherever menu she chooses.

I took my 11 month old on a cruise last year. Our waiter and asst waiter brought my son whatever I asked for and VERY quickly! Things that weren't on the menu. Such as plain chicken breast, with whatever veggie he wanted. Noodles with marinara sauce, salmon, ice cream. Anything goes!!! Just ask!

Last January our 4 year old DS usually ordered off the adult menu - and be careful - if your child shows interest in a certain food, you'll get it again and often! :p My DS loved the pea pods and every night after he got a HUGE bowl of them from our waiter. He was very happy. The children's menu is one you can get anywhere. A cruise is a great time/place to try new and exotic foods for children.

Yep, definitely have them order off of the adult menu. The children's menu is the same typical stuff that you get at any restaurant(chicken fingers, spaghetti, etc.) And it's the same menu every night, so have them order away. And take the great advice of trying new things. No better time for that!

My dd was 3 1/2 on our Mariner cruise in Jan. of '04. We had wonderful waitstaff- Elena and James. DD told Elena she liked the fruit cocktail the first night, so every night when we showed up in the dining room, there was a fruit cocktail already waiting for Alyssa with strawberries cut in the shape of crowns. Elena would always slice up some strawberries to go with whatever DD ordered for dessert- usually ice cream. The assistant waiter, James, would stop by at dessert time and "beg" for a strawberry from dd. DD also tried escargot, lobster, and filet mignon for the first time... not bad for a 3 year old! We're going on the Voyager in December, and DD has already asked if Elena and James will be in the dining room... wouldn't that be great!

The rule at my house has always been: you have to take one bite of every food served (so they will have a chance to try lots of things) - and my children's repertoire of foods that they like, while always large, got considerably longer once we started cruising.

Escargot is a favorite. Also things they had before but seldom, such as lobster and crab. They've tried sushi, wasabi sauce, duck, exotic fruits and veggies, etc.

My son felt so grown up when he realized he could order anything he wanted from the adult's menu!

For those "few" who might be wondering.... yes, picky adults can also order from the kids menu! My DH has done this several times. He takes a lot of ribbing, but he's extremely picky (no sauces, no seasonings other than salt and pepper, no garlic, onions, etc or salad dressings- yes he's a real joy to cook for :)) On one cruise the waiter would have his peanut butter sandwhich ready for him when he came in and make a big presentation of it, saying "Peter Pan for you sir"!

When we sailed on Sovereign this summer, we told the wait staff that DD would ONLY be ordering from the regular menu. She can eat chicken nuggets any old time. Being that she is an "adventurous" eater, she really enjoyed the meals. She ate soups each night, tried chicken marsala and salmon but did not have salad as she is not too big on lettuce yet. Our assistant waiter Ketut was always happy to bring "the princess" whatever she wanted.

We are very fortunate that for an almost 6 year old she has quite a palate. She also has to take a " no thank you" bite. You would be surprised at the number of things she insisted she would not like that she ended up really enjoying just because she tried it!!!

The only caveat to letting them order lobster, shrimp, filet, etc. is that they want it when they get home too!!!:D

Caviar taste on a hot dog budget cause momma is saving for the next cruise or trip to WDW.:D :D

For those "few" who might be wondering.... yes, picky adults can also order from the kids menu! My DH has done this several times. He takes a lot of ribbing, but he's extremely picky (no sauces, no seasonings other than salt and pepper, no garlic, onions, etc or salad dressings- yes he's a real joy to cook for :)) On one cruise the waiter would have his peanut butter sandwhich ready for him when he came in and make a big presentation of it, saying "Peter Pan for you sir"!

My almost 20 year old daughter does the same thing sometime.She ordered the macaroni and cheese the first night and no matter what she ordered after that our waiter always served her macaroni and cheese with it.

She also has to take a " no thank you" bite. You would be surprised at the number of things she insisted she would not like that she ended up really enjoying just because she tried it!!!

My mother did the same thing to me when I was growing up. As a result, as an adult there are very few things I won't eat. There are a lot of things that haven't sounded too great to me over the years, but once I tried them I've discovered some of my favorite items, escargot, sushi, etc. Still, there are times when you have all those choices, and all you really want is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and as an adult I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Please no flamming. i just want to know. I have a 5 year old neice that will be going on a cruise in January. I know they a child menu but my neice loves seafood. Shrimp, lobster. My question is she is paying the same price as anyother 3rd person in the room so does that mean she can eat off the adult menu? or do they frown on a child ordering off the adult menu?

Absolutely she can eat off of the adult menu!! My 4yo loved her cold fruit soups, shrimp, lobster, etc.

The waiter may give her a child's menu - she can color on it while she waits for her shrimp and lobster lol

My 9yo tried shrimp cocktail for the first time and loved it - and then every night for the rest of the cruise our waiter had THREE shrimp cocktails waiting for her!!

And like someone else mentioned, you can mix and match as well.

I am 47, and order off the childrens menu frequently, as of this recent cruise on Mariner. It was really rough, and I was a little seasick, and thoroughly tired of all the strange tastes and sauces, that didn't seem to agree with me.. Our good friends suggested it, and I enjoyed both the chicken fingers and a grilled cheese sandwich one evening. It worked out great, because I could also enjoy our wonderful tablemates, and just some rather plain food.:)

And Pelican Bill...that is a very, very funny story about your daughter! :-)

My mother did the same thing to me when I was growing up. As a result, as an adult there are very few things I won't eat. There are a lot of things that haven't sounded too great to me over the years, but once I tried them I've discovered some of my favorite items, escargot, sushi, etc. Still, there are times when you have all those choices, and all you really want is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and as an adult I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Sometimes you just have to have some comfort food, even on a cruise. There is nothing wrong with that and I admire your attitude.

Archived