For all you food/cocktail lovers out there....help out a CC friend

2calgarycruisers

I'm in for martini's - are they included on any beverage package? Also, super excited about bennies as I hate the steam tray ones - what kinds are on offer? and, what is your fave?
If you like sweet drinks, you'll like the martini bar. But almost everything there is sweet, so if you don't, it's fun to watch and you can do that for free. I did the premium package because we already had the classic included so not a huge stretch, and with most of the drinks being priced in that range, it's less frustrating. If you like wine, the premium package is worth doing because the selection for classic package is really limited. Also, my understanding is that if a drink is .50 over your classic limit, you have to pay the entire price (your package gets you nothing), but if you have the premium and a drink is $1 (or whatever) over your limit, you just pay the difference. A huge benefit. If you have the premium and go to a specialty restaurant, just tell the sommelier and she'll hook you up with great wines at each course.

When we were on RCL there was no problem taking snacks and drinks off the ship for port calls - how is this on X? From what I've read you can only get sandwiches from the buffet?

Just as you can not take anything off the ship when getting off in the US at the end, we are not supposed to at the stops. But alas it is easier to smuggle food off in other country's. The staff on the ship does not care.

I'm in for martini's - are they included on any beverage package? Also, super excited about bennies as I hate the steam tray ones - what kinds are on offer? and, what is your fave?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you :o. I definitely second the recommendation from others that you upgrade to the premium beverage package. It's great not to have to worry about whether a certain drink is included in your package or not. Now, the 25 year martini is priced slightly above the premium package limit but I just pay the extra $1.50 or whatever it is. All the other martinis are included in the premium package though. Not all are sweet either, one that I like is made with gin, sparkling wine and lemon juice; it's called French 75.

As for the different types of eggs benedict, if my memory serves me right, there's the classic with canadian bacon, Florentine with spinach, Royale with smoked salmon. Then a couple of unusual ones, Mexican with chillis and tortilla chips and German with sausage although I'm a bit hazy on that last one! You can see "demonstration models" on display to help you decide. My favourite is the Royale version. The chefs who cook the made to order eggs are lovely guys who always appreciate a "good morning" and a friendly smile. (They probably see some grumpy folks in the mornings!;)). Same goes for any of the staff behind the counters in the buffet, they often seem quite shy but always respond happily to a smile and a "how are you?". I think sometimes all people see is the food and not the hard-working people keeping the buffet area clean and the food trays topped up.

I agree 100%. That's why the forums and roll calls are so nice on CC. We've already made a few friends for our November trip and we'll be doing a couple of private excursions with them. It's so nice to already know some people when you get on a ship with 2000 passengers :)

Absolutely! I just joined our roll call for October so still scrolling through but if you get to know people, especially before boarding it makes it so much more fun. My first cruise was on the Oasis and I don't think I'd ever cruise on such a big ship again as you just never ran into the same people again - our second was on the RCL Explorer and we met so many great people that we did different things with.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you :o. I definitely second the recommendation from others that you upgrade to the premium beverage package. It's great not to have to worry about whether a certain drink is included in your package or not. Now, the 25 year martini is priced slightly above the premium package limit but I just pay the extra $1.50 or whatever it is. All the other martinis are included in the premium package though. Not all are sweet either, one that I like is made with gin, sparkling wine and lemon juice; it's called French 75.

As for the different types of eggs benedict, if my memory serves me right, there's the classic with canadian bacon, Florentine with spinach, Royale with smoked salmon. Then a couple of unusual ones, Mexican with chillis and tortilla chips and German with sausage although I'm a bit hazy on that last one! You can see "demonstration models" on display to help you decide. My favourite is the Royale version. The chefs who cook the made to order eggs are lovely guys who always appreciate a "good morning" and a friendly smile. (They probably see some grumpy folks in the mornings!;)). Same goes for any of the staff behind the counters in the buffet, they often seem quite shy but always respond happily to a smile and a "how are you?". I think sometimes all people see is the food and not the hard-working people keeping the buffet area clean and the food trays topped up.

I think I've persuaded hubby on both the premium package and the 5 dinner package :D all due to you folks!

There was a funny thing on the news the other day, an employee had put up a sign that said "medium coffee - $7.00" "medium coffee please - $5.00", "Hi, can I have a medium coffee please? - $1.75" - I thought this was classic.

BTW I think I may have to try out all flavours of bennies over 14 days!

If you like sweet drinks, you'll like the martini bar. But almost everything there is sweet, so if you don't, it's fun to watch and you can do that for free. I did the premium package because we already had the classic included so not a huge stretch, and with most of the drinks being priced in that range, it's less frustrating. If you like wine, the premium package is worth doing because the selection for classic package is really limited. Also, my understanding is that if a drink is .50 over your classic limit, you have to pay the entire price (your package gets you nothing), but if you have the premium and a drink is $1 (or whatever) over your limit, you just pay the difference. A huge benefit. If you have the premium and go to a specialty restaurant, just tell the sommelier and she'll hook you up with great wines at each course.

Great idea - we always had the drink package on RCL but never thought of using a sommelier - can you do this in the MDR or only speciality?

Wellington was on the menu the second chic night in March . . . was excellent! We were on Eclipse and both commented the food was better than on Constellation last September. just due to a different chef I imagine. Food on Connie was fine, but much better on Eclipse.

Another Cafe Al Bacio suggestion if the day is hot: a chocolate Iglu. Requested mine be made with low fat milk to lessen the guilt a little 😉. Great way to cool down on returning to the ship after a hot day in port.

We found the food in 2014 to be a lot better than the next year(it was still very good!)Some, I'm sure is due to cutbacks, but I agree that a really skilled chef can make a silk purse of a Sow's ear.(to coin an old phrase.)Our chef's do it all the time!

Goat Cheese Souffle from Murano:

IMG_2368_zpshhj7bvin.jpg

Chocolate Fondue from Tuscan:

IMG_2271_zpskx43b7tm.jpg

Room Service Breakfast:

IMG_2253_zpslhsbfyaj.jpg

Martini Bar Sampler:

Dads%20stuff%20024_zpsvybzpmsq.jpg

Cheers!

have to try them all - martini sampler sounds so fun - I've read lots about it but first time to see a pic - now I know what the fuss is about!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
okay... so you bring up a quandary for me - currently we have the classic drink package so from what I understand no Martini Bar unless OOP (not happening) so challenged as to upgrade to premium.

If we were doing a caribbean cruise it would be a no brainer but with this being a port intensive, non lounging around much type cruise is it worth it to upgrade, and yes we enjoy our alcoholic drinks and nice wine.

That being said - if we do upgrade - what martini's should we try?

Even on a port intensive trip, the upgrade is well worth it. Beyond the upgraded alcohol, you also get upgraded water etc. (Which can be handy as you grab a large bottle as you head off ship).

As for the drinks at the Martini bar, it all depends on your tastes. The bartenders are tremendous and, I found them to be very inventive and willing to go beyond the written menu.