Vista 2 is Carnival Horizon

Interesting!

Sep 23, 2016

The fast-growing China cruise market will soon have its first new ships built locally for Chinese passengers, and they may look a whole lot like the 3,954-passenger Carnival Vista.

STORY FROM THE MOTLEY FOOL

3 great reasons to take Social Security benefits at 62

Industry giant Carnival Corp. (CCL), together with its Chinese joint venture partners, announced a non-binding memorandum of agreement to build two Vista-class ships in China, the first of which would launch in 2022. There is also an option for two additional ships.

Based on the same platform as Carnival Vista, Carnival Cruise Line's largest ship, the new ships would be tailored for "the specific tastes of Chinese travelers," officials said in a press release.

Carnival Corp. and its Chinese partners announced a new, as-yet-unnamed domestic Chinese brand last October, and the new ships will be operated by that brand.

USA TODAY

Our guide to the hottest new cruise ships on order

The ships will be built by a newly formed joint venture between China’s largest shipbuilder, China State Shipbuilding Corp. (CSSC), and Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri.

"We are excited about the potential for the first new cruise ships to be built and deployed in China for the enjoyment of Chinese travelers, which will be an important milestone in the development of the Chinese cruise market,” said Alan Buckelew, global chief operations officer for Carnival Corp.

Plans are for the Chinese brand to launch with existing ships in the Carnival Corp. fleet that would be purchased by the joint venture and homeported in China, officials said. A spokesman declined to say which ships might be involved.

Carnival Corp. has been a pioneer in cruises aimed at the Chinese market with its Costa Cruises and Princess Cruises brands. The new Majestic Princess will launch in China next year after a brief debut in Europe. The company's Aida Cruises has plans to send ships, as does Carnival Cruise Line, beginning with the Carnival Spirit in 2018.

Carnival Corp. and its Chinese partners, CSSC and China Investment Capital Corporation (CIC Capital) also announced their joint venture would be incorporated in Hong Kong.

• 1 month later...
I'm beginning to think something is wrong. The Horizon is supposed to set sail in less than 15 months and still no launch date or itinerary released. I'm beginning to wonder if it really is slated for the Asian clientele and not for us after all. :confused:

I'd be shocked if it did. They said itineraries would be released the first part of December so I would guess it won't be much longer before we find out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'd be shocked if it did. They said itineraries would be released the first part of December so I would guess it won't be much longer before we find out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It is not going to Asia......

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is quite the arms race going on in Florida - Carnival has to keep up, especially with MSC making inroads in the US market.

It is quite possible Carnival is waiting for the reaction to die down from the legal troubles experienced by Princess, as the consent decree actually affects 78 ships owned by Carnival Corporation.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note7 using Tapatalk. Hey, do you smell anything burning?

I think they are waiting for this current cruise on the Vista to end. It's full of travel agents and they might be upset if the Horizon itineraries come out and they can't get their clients booked because they are at sea. They get back Sunday so I wouldn't be surprised Horizon is announced next week

• 2 weeks later...
According to carnival cruise Italia on "social media" all decks are now constructed and completed. Whale tail and mast to come soon. I would assume that fitting out will begin soon.

Hopefully he (she) will post more pics as it goes. They kept me very interested in the Vista and the project. Like most of you, I am waiting for deployment and itins, hoping to do another med cruise in 2018.

Edited by jimbo5544

Is it true that platinum and diamonds get early notice(email?) Of new ships TA? We are also interested in 2018 Med attached hopefully to TA. Turning platinum next month on Vista.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is some discussion at Diamond meetings held on ships but nothing official or at any other time.

• 1 month later...
I see where the Horizon TA starts on May 9th. Can anyone tell me where she'll sail in Europe the week or two before?

She will do 4 cruises out of Barcelona, a 13 day, 2 - 7 days and a 10 day. The 2 7 days are western meds that get as Far East as Sicily and the 10 and 13 go all around the boot to Dubrovnik and Corfu (a mix depending on the length of the cruise.

She will do 4 cruises out of Barcelona, a 13 day, 2 - 7 days and a 10 day. The 2 7 days are western meds that get as Far East as Sicily and the 10 and 13 go all around the boot to Dubrovnik and Corfu (a mix depending on the length of the cruise.

Thank you. Today we booked the TA and are considering the 10 day.

Thanks,i will. We are now considering 14 day Norwegian Sky over from Miami. Cheaper than airfare and included drink package. Don't know whether we'd go mad. 14 days on, 3 1/2 in Barcelona(was doing that anyway) and then 14 days back. A couple of same ports but that can never be a problem there.

• 5 months later...

We actually booked Norwegian Star and the Horizon TA. So glad I just have to get to Miami instead of flying to Barcelona. Looking forward to the changes on the Horizon. Having sailed on the Vista I, among others, really thought some changes should be made. Can't wait to compare!