Pokemon Go??

nanabananna

I hope that Pokemon Go doesn't become as intrusive aboard ship as the fast walkers and cell talkers/texters who expect you to get out of THEIR way or they will bump right into you. With luck it will be a fad that will quickly run its course.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

The game won't work on cruise ships that are moving. The whole game is centered around stationary GPS coordinates. Because these coordinates are always changing while the ship is under power, there is no way to place a Pokémon character that stays with the ship for hundreds/thousands of miles.

However, I suppose it's possible to use the GPS coordinates of known docking spots at various ports. That's about the only time I can think of when cruise ship passengers could play the game.

The game won't work on cruise ships that are moving. The whole game is centered around stationary GPS coordinates...

Good to know! I thought that perhaps coordinates could somehow be adjusted for moving objects--planes, ships, etc.

I hope that players are extra careful in places like Ensenada, where there are open manholes (without covers) on some sidewalks.

I view it as their problem. If a person is so involved in a game & walks into a wall I view it as on-board entertainment.

As long a they don't drive & play at the same time it doesn't concern me.

hear some are doing that , stopping in the middle of the road to catch or get pokemon stuff friends have grumbled about it , don't mind them walking about as long as dont step in front of cars etc but driving and playing nope

Recently near San Diego, two people walked off a cliff while focused on the game! :eek: They were more concerned about virtual reality than the physical reality of falling down a cliff...luckily they survived.

I wonder how many Pokemon Go players will be Darwin Award winners? :p

Based on this quote from the CC article the cost for data on a Princess ship should prevent most from playing the game.

"There are a few logistical problems to playing Pokemon Go onboard that we see right off the bat. While Pokemon Go can be run on Wi-Fi, you'd need a hefty data package to run the game at sea".

ouch:eek: i have actually deleted the game off my phone didnt really get into it much

same risk as texting while walking, and worse while driving.

yep , though i know i look at my phone while walking but i do still keep an eye on whats around me and where i am going i still stop to check the road etc , i was walking with my mum next to me yet some idiot walked between me and mum i had to stop due to her yet she had a go at me to watch where i was walking ah no as i said to her you watch where you are walking i knew where i was and i did not walk into anyone or any walls or cars yet she divided a mum and daughter didnt see if she was playing on her phone [prob was ]

Think of how much money the cruise lines would save on entertainment if they provided internet. The next generation of cruisers will probably be happier downloading their own movies, podcasts, music and games than being entertained by live performers.

Think of how much money the cruise lines would save on entertainment if they provided internet. The next generation of cruisers will probably be happier downloading their own movies, podcasts, music and games than being entertained by live performers.

That's what many of us have been doing for quite a while now. :( Of course they've locked us out of using the cabin TV on the newer ships but they still provide entertainment at the pool & prior to shows beginning. :D

I never board a ship without having at least 20 or more movies ready for viewing. ;)

I enjoy a combo of both.

I like going out to the live production shows at nice, but I also enjoy podcasts or audiobooks while lounging (or waiting in long lines at the terminal).

Some nights I like to spend in my cabin watching a movie or TV shows and eating room service. :)