$1500 to change from cat E2 to E1???????

Perl47

Thank you, Molly. You understand and I appreciate it!

But for those who don't get it yet, I didn't realize we couldn't upgrade by just paying the difference between the two fares, whether they used today's pricing or yesterday's. I was surprised they have a policy that discourages their customers from upgrading so that's why I asked.

It makes perfect sense! Why would they want to sell a better cabin at the lower rate when they are able to sell it for a much higher rate. They have more flexibility in getting higher overall rates keeping that cabin in inventory then offering it to for a lower then current rate.

The vitriol being thrown at me for not understanding the upgrade policy has been as surprising to me as the policy itself. I asked a simple question, I got an answer. I don't understand why people are continuing to pile on. My grandchildren are with us in a vacation cottage on a remote lake in the woods and I sit here chuckling because reading Cruise Critic is supposed to be my relaxation after dealing with young kids frenzied non-stop activity and sibling rivalries since 6 AM. Perhaps the timing was a good thing because it makes the kids look like angels.

If I owned a car dealership and a customer came in and signed a contract to buy a Ford Fiesta on a day we were having a sale and came back before the order was delivered and wanted to buy the Rolls Royce that's been sitting on my lot instead and get the sale price it was the day he bought the Ford Fiesta, I think it would be a really good business decision to do it. A bird in the hand is always worth more and all that plus happy customers tend to spend more money on the higher profit margin items, etc.. You can disagree with my philosophy but to berate me for it is non-productive.

Thanks for playing.

I don't get it either. I would guess that many people who are new to RCCL -- or just haven't tried to upgrade after booking -- don't know what the upgrade policy is. Most of my cruises have been with Disney, with whom you lock in your pricing the day you book. I upgraded after booking twice with them and got the price I would have paid if I had booked the higher category to begin with. Their philosophy seems to be that it's easier to sell the lower category rooms as a sailing draws closer and prices go up.

Really, my question was about how RCI prices an upgrade. It's been answered and put to rest.

I've been on enough cruises to know that you can't assume anything about a cabin by it's category. The deck plan page for each ship has a key at the bottom that gives more specific information for many of the cabins. Some have a 3rd pullman bed available, etc.

Google images has many pictures as well. As does flickr. There are also websites where people post photos of their cabins.

I've found conflicting photos and info about our particular cabin so I called RCI to ask specifically. They said it has only a chair.

All these other exercises are not necessary.

Sadly, Royal reps cannot be trusted. They don't have perfect maps of the ship and can only make guesses.

I've found that a careful image search, making sure I'm actually looking at the cabin I searched for, gives good info of info is out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I owned a car dealership and a customer came in and signed a contract to buy a Ford Fiesta on a day we were having a sale and came back before the order was delivered and wanted to buy the Rolls Royce that's been sitting on my lot instead and get the sale price it was the day he bought the Ford Fiesta, I think it would be a really good business decision to do it.

No, it would not be and that's not a good analogy since car values almost never go up, unlike a perishable product whose price is demand dependent.

BTW, look at CC as entertainment with a little info thrown in and expect piling on.

The vitriol being thrown at me for not understanding the upgrade policy has been as surprising to me as the policy itself. I asked a simple question, I got an answer. I don't understand why people are continuing to pile on.

I don't see anyone 'piling on'? I see a bunch of posters trying to understand your problem, and trying to help you, and then I see you being rude to some advice that was offered with good intentions.

You're lucky people read your question and took their time to answer you and to try to understand you. They gave you some of their life minutes for free.

Good luck getting responses in the future!

If I owned a car dealership and a customer came in and signed a contract to buy a Ford Fiesta on a day we were having a sale and came back before the order was delivered and wanted to buy the Rolls Royce that's been sitting on my lot instead and get the sale price it was the day he bought the Ford Fiesta, I think it would be a really good business decision to do it. A bird in the hand is always worth more and all that plus happy customers tend to spend more money on the higher profit margin items, etc.. You can disagree with my philosophy but to berate me for it is non-productive.

Thanks for playing.

How about thinking of it this way.

You've found a great deal on a 10 hp lawn tractor at Walmart, on sale for only $1500 from $3000. You went ahead and purchased for $1500. Now the sale price is gone and it's back to regular price of $3000

But now you've had second thoughts and decided that you'd rather have the larger 15 hp tractor that is $3033.

Do you really think you should only pay $33 for returning the 10 hp and buying the 15 hp?