Booking from other countries

Hawaiidan

TC,

From what I understand the problem is NOT that people are trying to cheat the system. People in countries other than the U.S. or Canada -- especially NZ and Australia -- have official agencies that charge much more. For example, as I understand it, if someone puts a deposit on a cruise and has to cancel, they lose the deposit.

We don't.

I think they also don't get the "free" air, but that's understandable considering how much further they would have to travel to get to a departure port.

I think you can understand why people might want to be on an even status with those of us in North America. The amounts they pay can be well in excess of what we pay.

Please, someone, correct me if I am wrong.

Mura

No Mura, I don't believe you are wrong.

Generally, in the UK if we cancel we lose our deposits, which are often 15% of the total fare.

Obviously we take out travel insurance for such circumstances, but this only pays out for illness, death of a loved one...that sort of eventuality.

Needless to say, here in the UK we don't book multiple cruises around the same date and then decide which one we prefer.

If I had a US mailing address and found a better price with a US agent I would probably be tempted to book with them.

Yes sir, and with 324,181, 327 Americans extant, as of the moment that I wrote this, those 8 million people represent 0.040517665875 (or, significantly less than 1/2 of 1 percent) of the total.

Thank you for helping to prove my point that they represent a tiny percentage. :p

8 million is about 2.5% of 334 million

TC,

I think you can understand why people might want to be on an even status with those of us in North America. The amounts they pay can be well in excess of what we pay.

Mura

Mura, I do understand why people might want to be on an even status with those of us in North America and also understand that this works in reverse. People in the U.K. received some unbelievable reduced fares in Europe last summer and this summer - fares that we were not able to get in the U.S.

Laws in the U.K. (not sure about Australia) are different than in the U.S. (and presumably Canada). They do have more strict rules regarding cancellation as has been mentioned. They also have consumer protection laws that do not exist here.

IMO, this is not about people living abroad but people who are clearly citizens of one country - living there - but trying to take advantage of offers in other countries by using someone else's address. I see this as being unethical and was glad to read that there are consequences for TA's that permit this to occur openly and with their knowledge.

Jackie

Edited by Travelcat2

Mura, I do understand why people might want to be on an even status with those of us in North America and also understand that this works in reverse. People in the U.K. received some unbelievable reduced fares in Europe last summer and this summer - fares that we were not able to get in the U.S.

Laws in the U.K. (not sure about Australia) are different than in the U.S. (and presumably Canada). They do have more strict rules regarding cancellation as has been mentioned. They also have consumer protection laws that do not exist here.

IMO, this is not about people living abroad but people who are clearly citizens of one country - living there - but trying to take advantage of offers in other countries by using someone else's address. I see this as being unethical and was glad to read that there are consequences for TA's that permit this to occur openly and with their knowledge.

Jackie

If cruise lines are so limited.... how come the hotel and airline industry is not in having a pretty equal for all. Marriotts for example says that its clients will all be guaranteed the same lowest rates, no matter. Laws rules and what not dont seem to be a problem I think rather that it is the cruise lines which impose their own self serving regulations. which seem to apply only to them I can cancel a hotel in Kaula Lumpur, London, Paris or Australia with out penalty... why then with cruises????

The I see it not so much as a confused passenger trying to get the best price, but rather the cruise line creating an atmosphere of distrust and fairness....

Hawaiidan: I have no idea about hotels or airlines internationally (whether they have similar consumer laws as they do regarding cruise ships). Having read CC for many years, people from the U.K. (in particular) have indicated a lot of differences in what can or cannot be done under their consumer laws. If something goes wrong on a cruise ship, there is more protection in the U.K. than in the U.S. It sounds as if TA's work differently in the U.K. as well.

IMO, there are reasons for doing certain promotions in either the U.S. or U.K. that are available only for residents of those countries. For instance, "Included air " for European cruises cost less for people already living in Europe than for passengers flying in from North America or Australia. I would guess (certainly do not know) that there could be promotions in Alaska for passengers residing in North America due to the proximity of Alaska.

While I do not know all of the laws or why NCHL cruise lines do what they do, we, as passengers either accept it or not. It is now pretty clear that if someone tries to go around the system that there will be repercussions. Remember that Oceania is in competition with other cruise lines - not with airlines or hotels. We all have choices - if we do not like NCLH's policies, we can go elsewhere (something I am personally not going to do).

I have never understood this situation and doubt that the position on deposits has much to do with UK consumer laws. More to do with their consumer practices, maybe.

As we are in Canada we generally get the same policies as the US consumers so are not directly affected. Where we do encounter this is trying to book cruises with family who reside in the UK. As we have different terms and conditions it is a big deterrent.

I have never understood this situation and doubt that the position on deposits has much to do with UK consumer laws. More to do with their consumer practices, maybe.

As we are in Canada we generally get the same policies as the US consumers so are not directly affected. Where we do encounter this is trying to book cruises with family who reside in the UK. As we have different terms and conditions it is a big deterrent.

I think you nailed it when you said "same policy" and different terms and conditions, contract type law for the corporation under which any dispute or claim might be made against the company rather than satisfy a UK government mandate.

I know from friends who practice law in UK ( queens bar) that UK is far different in awarding judgments....( Which probably we in the US could use to limit some of these outlandish awards that get handed out.)

Suffice to say its a difficult and somewhat mysterious business plan....for me anyway...