Booked on Vista should I switch to Horizon?

cocacola86

We're booked on a 8 day to Aruba, Curaco, DR and GT in a Havana Interior at just over 900pp, for April 2018, were also booked on the Magic for April 2017. I always wanted to go to Europe it's on my bucket list but what's airfare prices like? We would probably catch it in Barcelenoa would you make the switch and I imagine the Havana interior we've got will be more and how much do you usually spend on a med trip?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What airfares will be next week let alone 20 months from now is impossible to say. Price of jet fuel, taxes, labor costs, competition will determine that.

But you can look at today's airfare and the use a $ to Euro conversion rate of 1.15 or even 1.20 to be on the high side, and then calculate the cost of the cruise and air and hotel and see if that's affordable to you, or fi you can save that amount (and more incase of increases) in the time between now and the particular cruise you'd like to switch to. If so, then go for it. If not the stick with the original plans. The Southern itinerary is a good one.

Start researching airfare pricing now to get an idea. Check for all airports you would be willing to depart from as well as any hotel or parking fees that you would incur. Airfare won't be available until 11 months from your return date and best prices are usually somewhere between 6 and 9 months out. You can check using Barcelona but as no one knows the itineraries it should be a loose guide.

I have a feeling that with the popularity of Vista that the Horizon prices for Europe will be more. Our cost for 4 in an 8C balcony for a 10 day itinerary was $3496. Port taxes and fees added another $478 and gratuities were $480. Total of $4454.

Another option is to get a credit card now that gets you airline miles and start saving up. I have an Alaskan Air card that partners with lots of other airlines. I have flown home from Australia twice, once business, and flying business to Europe soon, all on miles.

I know with Alaska, they run a special a couple of times a year. Buy some miles, get some free.

I have a feeling that with the popularity of Vista that the Horizon prices for Europe will be more. Our cost for 4 in an 8C balcony for a 10 day itinerary was $3496. Port taxes and fees added another $478 and gratuities were $480. Total of $4454.

I would agree pricing for the Horizon will likely be higher. Carnival seems to have done very well this year with the Vista sailings and it will only push up prices in 2-years.

OP, if you can figure out how to make it work financially, do it. Also, air is typically cheaper after the summer months if that's possible.

As far as total cost, maybe on the cheap you can get it for around 3K per person and from there you can go as high as you want.

Edited by fuddrules

Don't let the flight forecast deter you from booking.

For the Vista European sailings I had over 60 cabins booked. More than half cancelled because they were afraid of the flight costs.

Now the cruise rates went down and the airfare is reasonable.

So many many of the cancelled guests are regretting their decision. (In the meantime they booked the regular Caribbean itineraries).

We flew from Boston on June 1st to Barcelona with a layover in Dublin...we flew on Aer Lingus and our fare was $1200 pp. We had booked the Vista when they first started taking booking and paid $699 pp for an inside cabin. Where we spent $$ was on tours but we shared with some groups to curb costs. We loved the ship, our room and had the trip of a lifetime.

We are cruising out of Barcelona in March 2017 (on NCL). I booked the cruise with the caveat (a promise to my husband) that we would only go if we got a good airfare deal. Last month there was a two day sale on Delta and we scored round trip tickets DFW-BCN on Delta for $449 per person. So now I guess we are definitely going. :)

Since I've subscribed to a lot of flight deal type of websites, I get quite a few alerts on good fare deals. Most come with a host of restrictions and are very short lived, i.e. a day or two, so you have to jump on them when you see them. But they are definitely out there.

We're booked on a 8 day to Aruba, Curaco, DR and GT in a Havana Interior at just over 900pp, for April 2018, were also booked on the Magic for April 2017. I always wanted to go to Europe it's on my bucket list but what's airfare prices like? We would probably catch it in Barcelenoa would you make the switch and I imagine the Havana interior we've got will be more and how much do you usually spend on a med trip?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I did the Vista May 24th Athens to Barcelona, my 2nd cruise and 2nd Mediterranean Cruise. I LOVE the Mediterranean cruises. My flight from Van BC to Athens and Barcelona to Van was only $899 US dollars- my 2 nephews flights from Florida and NC were about $1000 each. Well worth it. In MHO- I would switch in a heart beat!!! I am planning on being on the Horizon when it sails the Mediterranean!

I wouldn't just assume that the Horizon will be sailing the Mediterranean --- on Sunday John Heald had asked the following question, and most of the answers were NOT for another Med cruise.

Which of these itineraries do you hope the Carnival Horizon sails on when she is launched in March 2018?

A) Baltic cruises – St Petersburg, Estonia, Finland etc

B) Mediterranean cruises – featuring ports in Spain, France and Italy

C) British Isle cruises – England, Scotland, Ireland etc

D) Norwegian Fjord cruises

E) I hope she comes straight to the USA to start Caribbean cruises and does not stay in Europe

F) Not bothered

I'm just wondering if it would be cheaper to fly from Canada or Buffalo Ny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You will be better off flying from Toronto. You have low-cost options like Air Transat, Westjet and Air Canada Rouge. Also, your flights will be non-stop. Buffalo does not have direct international service meaning you would be making a change of planes somewhere before you even left North America.

How much spending money do you need on a trip like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Totally depends. If you do Carnival excursions it will be a pretty penny. You can save some by using outside companies and joining others on the cruise to share the cost of the excursion. Or, if budget is a big factor you can do a LOT of research and DIY. A combination of the above is what we did for Vista and we were comfortable with what we had to save in order to accomplish our sightseeing goals.