Bonnie -question about Maldives

Leo_On_Geo

Hi Bonnie,

There is a question among us on the Nov 3, Journey roll call as to where we dock/tender on Nov 12, 2016. The port is listed as Kuda Bandos Island, Maldives. Does the tender really drop us off there? or are we tendered to Male, and then arrange for other transport to Kuda Bandos Island, Maldives. Thanks for clarification.

Lisa

You'll tender into Kuda Bandos. Beautiful spot. There is nothing there really infrastructure wise, but the ship will set up a bar. Officers vs crew football match on the beach there, Captain Jose centre, red shorts:cool:

image_zpsgqdbbk1g.jpeg

Phil

Hi Phil

Hope you had a great birthday yesterday

We are on this sailing and I was wondering if the island had its own reef? If so I may pack my snorkelling gear

Vicki X

Hi Phil

We are on this sailing and I was wondering if the island had its own reef? If so I may pack my snorkelling gear

Vicki X

Thanks Vicki!:) I'm not sure about a reef. Unfortunately I had had an accident with my eye and was unable to go in the water so watched the footy instead and had a walk around the island (it's a short walk!).

Phil

Yes there is a reef on Kuda Bandos - we have picnicked there several times and snorkelled there when on (very) small boat cruises in the Maldives (Yasawa Princess & Atoll Explorer).

Yesterday I saw that Kuda Bandos is being developed as a resort island, whereas it was a picnic island. I wonder what effect that will have on its use for cruise ship passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The trip to the island pictured was obviously on a previous cruise. The issue for the cruise this November is that the material says our port is the same island, but it also lists four shore excursions that are centered in Male. There seems to be a disconnect unless they do plan on tendering us a fairly long distance.

The trip to the island pictured was obviously on a previous cruise. The issue for the cruise this November is that the material says our port is the same island, but it also lists four shore excursions that are centered in Male. There seems to be a disconnect unless they do plan on tendering us a fairly long distance.

That was November 2014 and IIRC the excursion situation was the same with trips to Male. It's not far by organised water taxi. I'm there again next April and excursions off the island of Kuda Bandos are showing then too.

Phil

That was November 2014 and IIRC the excursion situation was the same with trips to Male. It's not far by organised water taxi. I'm there again next April and excursions off the island of Kuda Bandos are showing then too.

Phil

Hi Phil

So just checking are you saying its an isolated island we stop at and the crew set up a few facilities. We could choose to go on ships excursions to see Mahe whatever that has or have a Robinson Crusoe day - the latter really does appeal to my Man Friday

Hi,

So.... in the past the tender drops the passengers off at Kuda Bandos, for a free day of beach time, or you can pay $90 to go to "Resort Island" or the other options at Male (walking tour, submarine fish charter)?

Just a further query, because it now seems that there is a resort (Malahini Kuda Bandos) on the island. Someone on the roll call has contacted them and they know nothing about the Azamara Journey visit.

Thanks,

Lisa

Hi Phil

So just checking are you saying its an isolated island we stop at and the crew set up a few facilities. We could choose to go on ships excursions to see Mahe whatever that has or have a Robinson Crusoe day - the latter really does appeal to my Man Friday

Yes, it's a very small "picnic" island belonging to Bandos Island next door. The bar staff will set up a drinks area. I'm not sure what I'll do this time. I'd like to do more, given the issue I had with my eye. We will talk!

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/kuda-bandos-island-maldives-cruises

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

Hi,

So.... in the past the tender drops the passengers off at Kuda Bandos, for a free day of beach time, or you can pay $90 to go to "Resort Island" or the other options at Male (walking tour, submarine fish charter)?

Just a further query, because it now seems that there is a resort (Malahini Kuda Bandos) on the island. Someone on the roll call has contacted them and they know nothing about the Azamara Journey visit.

Thanks,

Lisa

It's called a resort, but this is a really small island. It's only about 250 metres wide. I am not surprised they know nothing of the Journey's stop there.

Phil

It's called a resort, but this is a really small island. It's only about 250 metres wide. I am not surprised they know nothing of the Journey's stop there.

Phil

Phil,

There is now a hotel (Malahini Kuda Bandos) opened in May 2016 on the island. I think if any person booking a room at a resort claiming to be on a very private island (250 m wide) and a boat load of tourists showed up, I might be upset. This is the reason for my OP.

Phil,

There is now a hotel (Malahini Kuda Bandos) opened in May 2016 on the island. I think if any person booking a room at a resort claiming to be on a very private island (250 m wide) and a boat load of tourists showed up, I might be upset. This is the reason for my OP.

Hi Lisa. I am interested in the answer to your question too since Azamara has a boat transfer to this island as the only excursion for this stop. One wonders what is available transportation wise for guests who don't purchase the excursion,

Cheers.

Cynthia

Hi Lisa. I am interested in the answer to your question too since Azamara has a boat transfer to this island as the only excursion for this stop. One wonders what is available transportation wise for guests who don't purchase the excursion,

Cheers.

Cynthia

Hi Cynthia,

There are 4 tours listed, but you are correct that they all require boat transfers.

1) The trip to Resort Island (I assume Bandos Island where there are several large resorts and more infrastructure)

2) Walking tour of Male

3) fishing charter

4) Maldives submarine tour

For me the free no-cost beach day on the "picnic island" with a swim and walk about would be perfect.

I think the fact that a new resort has seemed to have opened up on the previously uninhabited "Picnic Island" where we supposed to anchor is a new wrinkle.

Some on the message board have contacted private tour providers who say we are docked at Male. Yes, I agree there is a bit of confusion which hinders tour planning.

Hi Cynthia,

There are 4 tours listed, but you are correct that they all require boat transfers.

1) The trip to Resort Island (I assume Bandos Island where there are several large resorts and more infrastructure)

2) Walking tour of Male

3) fishing charter

4) Maldives submarine tour

For me the free no-cost beach day on the "picnic island" with a swim and walk about would be perfect.

I think the fact that a new resort has seemed to have opened up on the previously uninhabited "Picnic Island" where we supposed to anchor is a new wrinkle.

Some on the message board have contacted private tour providers who say we are docked at Male. Yes, I agree there is a bit of confusion which hinders tour planning.

Ah yes. I forgot about the other three :) I was all about the beach:D

Phil,

It's not actually a private island and if the ship anchored on the jetty side to be honest if you were on the other side you'd never know. It looks like the resort hotel has a private beach front. I never had the impression of our presence making it busy or touristy. Quite the opposite. I walked along near deserted beaches. I'm guessing many had excursions planned and were off doing other things. I'm looking forward myself to seeing a little more this time without an issue with my eye like the last.

Anyway, hopefully Bonnie will confirm either way.

Phil

Hello all,

I've read through this thread (rather quickly I'll admit), and I'm not sure what the common question is that I'm being asked to research? If one of you would clarify, I'll inquire.

Tks!

Not trying to speak for the OP (Lisa), but we would like to know about the tender situation and where the ship will actually dock or anchor. It seems that in previous cruises, a free tender to a beach was offered. Will that happen on this cruise? Is there also a tender to Male?

Hello all,

I've read through this thread (rather quickly I'll admit), and I'm not sure what the common question is that I'm being asked to research? If one of you would clarify, I'll inquire.

Tks!

Hi Bonnie,

There is a question among us on the Nov 3, Journey roll call as to where we dock/tender on Nov 12, 2016. The port is listed as Kuda Bandos Island (the picnic island), Maldives.

Does the tender really drop us off at the "picnic Island"?

or are we tendered/docked at Male, and then arrange for other transport to Kuda Bandos Island, Maldives.

The complication is that now the "Picnic Island "Kuda Bandos Island (previously uninhabited) now has a resort (opened May 2016).

SO the question is... can you clarify the plans for the Maldives stop Nov. 12, 2016. Thanks for clarification.

Lisa

Hi Phil

Vicki X

Hello there Vicki, we hope you and Charlie are well. Fredy and I had a great day on the island and the snorkelling is great, you'll really enjoy it. The island is very small, it couldn't have taken us ten minutes to walk around it. I really can't imagine a resort having been built there.

Although everywhere has its charm, Male isn't the most interesting place we've been to. It has a fish market and mosque and not much more to see. On the occasion we were there,not the time we did Kuda Bandos with Azamara, everyone was back on the ship after about an hour and a half, less for many.

If you are tendered as we were in 2014, definitely take the free tender to the island, you'll love it.

Jenni

Hi Bonnie,

There is a question among us on the Nov 3, Journey roll call as to where we dock/tender on Nov 12, 2016. The port is listed as Kuda Bandos Island (the picnic island), Maldives.

Does the tender really drop us off at the "picnic Island"? or are we tendered/docked at Male, and then arrange for other transport to Kuda Bandos Island, Maldives.

The complication is that now the "Picnic Island "Kuda Bandos Island (previously uninhabited) now has a resort (opened May 2016).

SO the question is... can you clarify the plans for the Maldives stop Nov. 12, 2016. Thanks for clarification.

Lisa

I'm hearing we are still working out a few details for this port call. So stay tuned.