2015-2017 Price Compare

Floating Lanai

Hi,

I was going through old cruise emails between myself and TA, and excursion hosts at various ports. I decided to do a quick price comparison.

Aug 29 2015 8 day Breeze Cruise

Grand Turk

La Romana

Curacao

Aruba

Sept 9 2017 8 day Vista Cruise

Grand Turk

San Juan

St Kitts

St Maarten

I booked the same 8P category, on the same floor (11) and same amount of days with similar itineraries. The Vista is also sailing 1 week later in the season. But the vista is $800 more than what I paid for the Breeze cruise. The OBC i am getting with Vista is only $75 more than what I got with Breeze.

I can easily amount (at least a majority of) the difference to the newer ship, Breeze was 3 years old at that time and Vista will be a bit over a year old.

What do you think? Have you seen similar?

I don't really understand your question...

Not really asking a specific question. I am not even upset with the difference either. Just an observation and wanted to share. If there is a question, it would be more on other people seeing similar things. Or since we can easily see new, shiny and "bells and whistles" then how much of this is fluctuation if any at all.

If you go on the Carnival website, and do searches on a specific region like "Caribbean", then narrow it down by length of trip and month, you can see there is a dramatic range in prices for similar itineraries. Most of what I see regarding price ranges has totally to do with the amenities and how recent the upgrades. Right now the hot ships are the Vista and the Magic. Some of the older ships, smaller ships can be almost half the price for the same room category. It is just supply and demand.

I do this all the time, as we are already planning our cruises for 2017. We plan to book one while on our cruise later this month. We like to compare ports, excursions, and how many ships are in port in order to make our choices. I have made a list, yes, I am one of those... with a graph of our proposed cruise for next year. LOL

Ummm... Am I missing something? I don't see any prices on your post?

If you read closely:

Hi,

I was going through old cruise emails between myself and TA, and excursion hosts at various ports. I decided to do a quick price comparison.

Grand Turk

La Romana

Curacao

Aruba

Grand Turk

San Juan

St Kitts

St Maarten

I booked the same 8P category, on the same floor (11) and same amount of days with similar itineraries. The Vista is also sailing 1 week later in the season. But the vista is $800 more than what I paid for the Breeze cruise. The OBC i am getting with Vista is only $75 more than what I got with Breeze.

I can easily amount (at least a majority of) the difference to the newer ship, Breeze was 3 years old at that time and Vista will be a bit over a year old.

Newer ships tend to attract a premium in years 1-3 after launch. I'm not the least bit surprised and have seen similar across all lines when new ships are put in service.

Just curious - if you are booking now for the 2017 cruise, did you also book the 2015 cruise 12 months or so out?

This is interesting as Aruba cruises are some of the most expensive out there. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay an $800 premium to get on the Vista in 2017. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't remember the other ships holding that new ship value for that long.

Hi,

Grand Turk

La Romana

Curacao

Aruba

Grand Turk

San Juan

St Kitts

St Maarten

I agree with you. Prices overall are higher now than they were when we were coming out of the Great Recession. And there is a lot less last minute discounting now too. Many things have changed since CEO Arnold Donald took over Carnival Corp. Passenger ticket revenue has been beating Wall Street expectations which means there is good demand that supports higher prices. It will be interesting to see how the current uncertain global political environment impacts pricing going forward.

I'm assuming you are looking at the final bill, so maybe you cannot answer these questions.

Were they sailing from the same port?

Also there are different stops on your Vista cruise which may result in higher port fees at those stops?

Agree with others that the Vista is in high demand.

Just curious - if you are booking now for the 2017 cruise, did you also book the 2015 cruise 12 months or so out?

This is interesting as Aruba cruises are some of the most expensive out there. I'm not sure I'm willing to pay an $800 premium to get on the Vista in 2017. I certainly could be wrong, but I don't remember the other ships holding that new ship value for that long.

I think we planned that far out but did not book that far out. We met an awesome large group of people on our 2015 cruise and are planning this 2017 cruise with the same group. But now looking further into this, the Splendor and Magic have the same Itinerary a little later in September for $1k less than the vista.

I'm assuming you are looking at the final bill, so maybe you cannot answer these questions.

Were they sailing from the same port?

Also there are different stops on your Vista cruise which may result in higher port fees at those stops?

Agree with others that the Vista is in high demand.

Yes both Miami