Olympics on board

We'll be boarding Brilliance of the Seas in Barcelona in two weeks, and I'm curious about the availability of coverage of the olympics on board.

I'd be particularly interested in the experience of cruisers on board different ships in these early days, as the Olympics get underway.

I expect there will be some Olympic coverage on some of the TV channels on board. When I've sailed in the Caribbean before, I know ESPN Caribbean has had olympic coverage. Do RCCL ships in the Mediterranean also carry ESPN Caribbean, or do they carry other channels?

Also - is there an option to stream olympic events to an iPad or other device if you have the internet package. Has anyone tried this?

I know streaming is often very location-sensitive when it comes to the Olympics...so I'm wondering if Canadian (CBC) or American (NBC) olympic streaming apps would work while on board in the Caribbean...or perhaps an olympic app from Sky Italia or RAI?

Noel

There will likely be some broadcasts. But as is typical on board for sporting events, you will probably get the international feed. So exactly WHAT you'll get is hard to predict. On the bright side, since it's the international feed, you won't be stuck with NBC jamming sappy stories down your throat constantly instead of showing you know, actual competition!:cool:

There will likely be some broadcasts. But as is typical on board for sporting events, you will probably get the international feed. So exactly WHAT you'll get is hard to predict. On the bright side, since it's the international feed, you won't be stuck with NBC jamming sappy stories down your throat constantly instead of showing you know, actual competition!:cool:

That's exactly why I'm particularly interested in live experiences on board today and this week.

Did anyone currently on board see if today's games were available on the onboard TVs on via streaming?

I will say that if anyone gets to watch the Opening Ceremony on the pool big screen' date=' I'm jealous because Wimbeldon was awesome![/quote']

Yes, I'm sure some of the big events will be on the big screen by the pool and will be great in that environment...things like the Opening Ceremonies and some of the track & field finals.

But what I'm really interested is for other events, and in particular for streaming while on board.

Does anyone have any current/very recent experience streaming the olympics or other sporting events while on board?

Anyone tried streaming Major League Baseball games on board this summer while cruising the Mediterranean?

What about soccer back in June? Did anyone stream Euro2016 or Copa Americano on board a RCCL ship?

Thanks,

Noel

So, it's officially Day Three of competitions in Rio. Anybody on board a Royal Caribbean ship (particularly in the Mediterranean) able to report on what coverage is available on the TVs on board?

Also interested if anyone has tried to stream Olympic coverage over the internet while on board.

Was anyone on board during the Opening Ceremonies? Did they show is on the big screen by the pool or elsewhere on board?

So, it's officially Day Three of competitions in Rio. Anybody on board a Royal Caribbean ship ...

Was anyone on board during the Opening Ceremonies? Did they show is on the big screen by the pool or elsewhere on board?

We were not in the Mediterranean, but on Liberty of the Seas they showed the opening ceremonies on the Pool Screen starting at 6 PM. One of the ESPN channels on the stateroom TV's also broadcast the Opening ceremonies and some of the events when we checked periodically.

Sorry, We did not attempt to stream the Olympics live ( we were having a blast with all the fun things Liberty ofered on sea days !)

Good luck! report back on your experience!

I inquired about it on the current Grandeur cruise and they are showing the Olympics, but not sure where it is being shown or if it is on the cabin TV's. I would imagine on the big screen by the pool is where the most of the coverage is.

Gwen :)

Navigator showed the opening ceremony on the pool screen next morning starting at 11.00, then switched live to the men's cycling road race. We disembarked after this so not sure what else they showed but there is the potential for more to be shown. :)

I think it was a BBC stream but can't be 100% sure!