Delayed luggage — great service from NCL

hawkeyetlse

We are midway through our Baltic cruise on the Star. Our bags did not make it with us to Copenhagen; apparently they got stuck in Amsterdam.

I know, I know, you should always arrive a day before the cruise just in case this happens, blablabla. Well, we arrived two days before the cruise, and the airline still only managed to locate and deliver one of the bags (not mine…)

With the crazy prices in Copenhagen, I could only afford to buy one t-shirt and one pair of swimming trunks and I boarded the ship with those and the clothes I had been wearing for 3 days.

But once on board, the front desk took care of everything. They contacted the airline and gave them all the port details for the cruise, and they continued calling them every day to get updates. Someone left me a message every day with the latest news, and they offered me free laundry (half day turn-around!), free phone calls to the airline (but I decided to let them do the calling for me), free toiletries and NCL t-shirts. There were even strawberries and wine in the cabin yesterday, just before my luggage magically appeared (day 4 of the cruise).

We didn't book our air travel through NCL, none of this was their responsibility. But they did everything they could to ease the situation, and I think they deserve some good press for that.

Congratulations on the good luck during your bad luck times. It is good to hear something positive about NCL.

However we have always found the on-board staff to be excellent and you seem to have found that too.

It is a pity that the head office staff aren't not so into customer service as the public face.

You should have charged the airline -

I am sure they will have the same policy as BA.

I missed luggage in Grand Cayman earlier this year - I spent over £1000 GBP getting a few days wardrobe together as I was travelling on to Little Cayman and had nothing.

It was fully approved and BA paid out no problem

There is a form to complete online -

There is an immediate payout at the airport - for toiletries etc - but this is the first step to the full payout.

Happy to hear you went on and had a great time - I would have been devastated its my worst nightmare :(

I am going to deal with the airline when I get home. I'm pretty sure they'll pay me back, but I wanted to be reasonable. I spent a chunk of port time in Germany buying clothes, when I had more time than on Sunday, and where things were much cheaper (and in euros).

Edited by hawkeyetlse

I am going to deal with the airline when I get home. I'm pretty sure they'll pay me back, but I wanted to be reasonable. I spent a chunk of port time in Germany buying clothes, when I had more time than on Sunday, and where things were much cheaper (and in euros).
Hopefully you also have travel insurance that includes lost luggage or delayed luggage, that would help with the purchase of your new cloths a well.