Walking Between Horseshoe Bay and Warwick

nycnut

I've read that there is a trail between the two beaches. Is the trail easy to find? How easy/difficult is the walk? Do we have to climb over rocks or anything)like that? How long would it take (assuming we are walking at an easy pace?

The Trail is very easy to find( just go the other end of Horseshoe) and is a hard sand trail with some awesome photo opportunities of small coves in between, The trail takes about 15 minutes and is very safe.If you finish here you can walk up to road which is not as steep as horseshoe. If your catching bus here it,s not as crowded. Have fun

I've read that there is a trail between the two beaches. Is the trail easy to find? How easy/difficult is the walk? Do we have to climb over rocks or anything)like that? How long would it take (assuming we are walking at an easy pace?

It is suggested you start at Warwick Beach and walk to Horseshoe Bay because HSB has complete facilities so if you test the waters along the walk, you can freshen up before returning to the Dockyard.

Here is a satellite photo that shows the trails:

BeachPathV3.jpg

SBtS

How easy/difficult is the walk? Do we have to climb over rocks or anything)like that? How long would it take (assuming we are walking at an easy pace?

You can do it fast or slow. I suggest leisurely pace. Even at a slow pace it won't take long unless you stop for a while at different spots to swim.

There are sections where you have to climb up over the beach to get around rocks on the shore and walk on a path. I thought it was very easy, not difficult but must give my standard disclaimer, I like to hike, but not difficult hikes, moderate hikes and I have no mobility issues.

Take a look at this thread by Mitstugirly with a lot of photos. She did an excellent job of documenting the walk.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48110842

Edited by Charles4515

We make this walk every time we Go to Bermuda. We found that the views are even more spectacular if you get off the wide trail and use the horse trails. They are much narrower and more difficult to walk in, but the route takes you much closer to the edge of the cliffs. The horse trails do not run the entire length of the path, but if you see them, do not hesitate to walk in them!

We take our time and swim many times during our walk, making it a 4-6 hour adventure. If you were in a rush, you could easily do it in 30-45 minutes. The sights are amazing!

Lauri

Edited to add: we start our day at Warwick so we can end up eventually at Horseshoe with facilities, food etc. There are no facilities at Warwick.

Edited by lah66

We make this walk every time we Go to Bermuda. We found that the views are even more spectacular if you get off the wide trail and use the horse trails. They are much narrower and more difficult to walk in, but the route takes you much closer to the edge of the cliffs. The horse trails do not run the entire length of the path, but if you see them, do not hesitate to walk in them!

We take our time and swim many times during our walk, making it a 4-6 hour adventure. If you were in a rush, you could easily do it in 30-45 minutes. The sights are amazing!

Lauri

Edited to add: we start our day at Warwick so we can end up eventually at Horseshoe with facilities, food etc. There are no facilities at Warwick.

I agree about the horse trails, I do them for the view too, but I must mention that I have encountered unpleasant horse poop on those horse trails. So some might want to hesitate to walk them.

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you for all the information regarding walk.

Another quick question... Is it easy to walk from hours horseshoe bay to the lighthouse or should I take the #7 bus? I will have a one day transport pass.

Thank you for all the information regarding walk.

Another quick question... Is it easy to walk from hours horseshoe bay to the lighthouse or should I take the #7 bus? I will have a one day transport pass.

It is not the distance of the walk from Horseshoe to Gibbs that is the problem. It is the lack to safety for a pedestrian that is the problem. There are no sidewalks or breakdown lanes for walking. You have to walk in the road. There are curves and small hills that give drivers poor sight lines; not safe. Take the bus.

SBtS

We did this EXACT walk thanks to all the info from frequent visitors to Bermuda and the awesome aerial view of the trail from SBtS. :) We got off the bus at Warwick Long Bay at about 1:00 pm and got to Horseshoe Bay at about 4:00 pm because we stopped to enjoy 2 beaches along the way. It felt long because gosh, it was HOT! And with actual stops to touch the water, walking in sand can slow you down. :) I'm about to post my trip report, hope to figure out how to include the photos of this part of our trip.

BTW to Charles4515 and SBtS, I can't figure out if I post my trip report on the Celebrity board or the Bermuda board. I was just on the Summit. Please advise. Thanks!!:)

You can post reports on both boards. On this board post about your Bermuda activities. On the Celebrity board post about your cruise in general but also include your Bermuda activities.

We did this EXACT walk thanks to all the info from frequent visitors to Bermuda and the awesome aerial view of the trail from SBtS. :) We got off the bus at Warwick Long Bay at about 1:00 pm and got to Horseshoe Bay at about 4:00 pm because we stopped to enjoy 2 beaches along the way. It felt long because gosh, it was HOT! And with actual stops to touch the water, walking in sand can slow you down. :) I'm about to post my trip report, hope to figure out how to include the photos of this part of our trip.

Yes, July and August can be very hot and humid in Bermuda. I have done it in May and June when it is not as hot as July and August. In May the water temp. was too cool for me to swim but it was great walking weather.

Edited by Charles4515

We are headed to Bermuda next week - I believe we may(the first day there) take a minibus(there will be 6 of us) to Warwick, and probably walk down to Horseshoe from Warwick. my question is if we take the minibus there how or where do we get it to go back? -Thinking we will be at Horseshoe by that time, or are there just minibuses available pretty much all day? I am assuming those are the ones that go down the hill

We are headed to Bermuda next week - I believe we may(the first day there) take a minibus(there will be 6 of us) to Warwick, and probably walk down to Horseshoe from Warwick. my question is if we take the minibus there how or where do we get it to go back? -Thinking we will be at Horseshoe by that time, or are there just minibuses available pretty much all day? I am assuming those are the ones that go down the hill

They run all day from Horseshoe. They say until 6. They go down the hill.

I agree about the horse trails, I do them for the view too, but I must mention that I have encountered unpleasant horse poop on those horse trails. So some might want to hesitate to walk them.

Well the nerve of those horses leaving horse poop on the horse trails.:D

I just posted a description of what we did in the thread above titled "chair and umbrella rentals" maybe I'll see if I can copy it here as it's a more relevant thread?

Here it is.......

We took the bus to Warwick Long Beach. I think It was the second of the day...9:30 ish, and when we arrived there was only us and the the other couple that got off the bus. The bus dropped us at the far end. Spent a little while there, then started to walk towards Horseshoe. At the other end of Warwick is where what seemed like a million shuttle busses and taxis pulled in and within minutes that end was crowded. No rentals though just bathrooms and maybe a concession, I did not go up and look. We gradually walked to Horseshoe partly along the beach, partly through a campground and parking lots, stopping at all the Coves and grottos, which are gorgeous...some calm, some with rough waves. We spent so much time in the water that chairs at this point would have been a waste! When we were walking back along Horseshoe to the far end where the concessions and shuttle busses when we stopped to ask the guys that were collecting chairs about the price. Just curiosity fir next time as this was Friday and we did not have enough time left to lounge!!!! They made a great suggestion for next time....don't go on Friday! Do what we did again and arrive at Horseshoe about 3pm , pay $20 for chairs and umbrella park them at the end closest to the concession and you are good til about 6pm.

We took the shuttle back for $7 pp right to the ship!

FYI It was a pretty easy walk for a nearly 60 yr old who is not very fit. It was a hot day, close to 90 but mostly cloudy!

• 1 month later...

i love the map in this thread. for lunch or dinner after walking down to horseshoe, anyone have any options other than the food stand there or best to hop the bus and go?

also any idea how long it takes the 7 bus to get from horseshoe to the dockyard? or do you just go back to hamilton and take the ferry to be quicker?

Edited by luckyinpa

i love the map in this thread. for lunch or dinner after walking down to horseshoe, anyone have any options other than the food stand there or best to hop the bus and go?

also any idea how long it takes the 7 bus to get from horseshoe to the dockyard? or do you just go back to hamilton and take the ferry to be quicker?

There is the Henry VIII Restaurant which is in the direction of the Dockyard and close to Gibbs Lighthouse. The distance is about 1 mile from the access road to Horseshoe Bay to Henry VII

GulfStream restaurant is located on South Rd a short walk from the access road to HSB towards the Dockyard.

The Swizzle, South Shore is located on South Rd about 2 miles from the access road to HSB, towards Hamilton.

The travel time from HSB to the Dockyard is about 30 minutes for a #7 bus, less by shuttle bus or taxi.

SBtS

Yep, SBtS has the coolest maps! :) Took us no more than 25 minutes to get back to the Dockyard by #7 bus, that is AFTER we managed to get on one. The first one was too full and we had to wait for another. It would take way longer to go back to Hamilton and then ferry back coz it's not like there is a rush hour ferry nor bus that goes every 5 minutes...I think but the pros will confirm that.