Walking Between Horseshoe Bay and Warwick

nycnut

Yep, SBtS has the coolest maps! :) Took us no more than 25 minutes to get back to the Dockyard by #7 bus, that is AFTER we managed to get on one. The first one was too full and we had to wait for another. It would take way longer to go back to Hamilton and then ferry back coz it's not like there is a rush hour ferry nor bus that goes every 5 minutes...I think but the pros will confirm that.

That's not an unusual experience with the buses back to the Dockyard. The bus being full and having to wait for the next one. The $7 minibus shuttle is a better option if going directly back to the Dockyard. As for going back to Hamilton and then the ferry that would only make sense if they want to spend some time there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

That's not an unusual experience with the buses back to the Dockyard. The bus being full and having to wait for the next one. The $7 minibus shuttle is a better option if going directly back to the Dockyard. As for going back to Hamilton and then the ferry that would only make sense if they want to spend some time there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with you, Charles4515. I had said in my trip review that I regretted not taking the minibus shuttle back. I decided not to use my veto power as the Grand Poobah Trip Planner Mom and went ahead with DH's desire to use up our Day pass...and got to experience waiting for two Bus # 7s after a Bermudian downpour. Something for the memory archives. :)

• 6 months later...

Is there a $7 mini bus to Warwick from the dockyard? Or do I take a city buss? If that is the only time, I will be using the buss that day, sounds like I should buy a a token not a daypass, right? Thanks for the advise!

Is there a $7 mini bus to Warwick from the dockyard? Or do I take a city buss? If that is the only time, I will be using the buss that day, sounds like I should buy a a token not a daypass, right? Thanks for the advise!

You can take the #7 bus. If you do then buy a token for each trip. The Minibuses run to Horseshoe but if you have seven they will take you to Warwick. Also some last year reported back that they asked minibus drivers about Warwick and were able to get dropped off there.

We took the City bus to Warwick. Hiked down a path to the beach. Meandered back with lots of stops to admire the view or swim to Horseshoe. Used someone's umbrella who had left for the day, then took the Mini bus back to the ship. It's quite the hike uphill in the heat to get back to the main road for the City bus. All in all a wonderful day. One of the best day trips off a cruise ship.

I believe I had read in someone's review, that when taking the #7 bus to Warwick that we should get off at the 2nd stop if wanting to walk back to Horseshoe? Does that sound correct?

I'm not sure what or where the 2nd stop is that you are referring to; but for the public bus (route #7), as you board, politely ask the bus driver to drop you at the bus stop closest to the Warwick Beach access road. Easy peasy.

SBtS

Can I interject a question into this Warwick to Horseshoe thread? We are interested in making this walk with stops to swim. We would also like to have include Gibb's lighthouse in our day. Would you recommend seeing/climbing it before or after? And What best transportation to use? The mini-bus/shuttle at least one direction would be great. We will be doing this on a Thursday toward the end of July if that helps. It will be me plus my two teen boys (age 13 and 16). They are always hungry so we have to figure lunch into our day somewhere.

I'm not sure what or where the 2nd stop is that you are referring to; but for the public bus (route #7), as you board, politely ask the bus driver to drop you at the bus stop closest to the Warwick Beach access road. Easy peasy.

SBtS

Thanks so much!

Can I interject a question into this Warwick to Horseshoe thread? We are interested in making this walk with stops to swim. We would also like to have include Gibb's lighthouse in our day. Would you recommend seeing/climbing it before or after? And What best transportation to use? The mini-bus/shuttle at least one direction would be great. We will be doing this on a Thursday toward the end of July if that helps. It will be me plus my two teen boys (age 13 and 16). They are always hungry so we have to figure lunch into our day somewhere.

For a minibus in one direction:

You can take the public bus or taxi to Gibbs Lighthouse, then bus or taxi to Warwick Long Bay. The Minibus shuttle back from Horseshoe after walking there from Warwick.

Or you could take the Minibus shuttle to Horseshoe, walk to Warwick, take a bus to the Lighthouse and then a bus back to the Dockyard.

Doing Gibbs first seems better to me if you are doing the beach walk.

My guy seems to be set on only using the city buss since he wants the buy the 2 day pass. But, I have a back up plan thanks to all your help

Public Transportation. Buses and ferries. Or the Pink Buses. The two day transportation pass is good for buses and ferries. City bus is not the vernacular used in Bermuda.

SBtS

I think we must have got off at the second stop cause we had a bit of a problem finding a path down, seemed to cross some grass first. It was pretty early in the morning, I think we got the first tourist bus, and the 4 of us were the only ones in the beach. We walked along the beach towards Horseshoe and at the far end of Warwick beach there was a paved lane way with a concession? Hut ( didn't go up) and mini busses ( maybe taxis) dropping people off. Suddenly the beach wasn't "ours anymore". Maybe this is where the first bus stop is?

I see the lighthouse closes at 4 so you might want to do it first? It is before you get to Horseshoe from the Dockyard so I guess you would have to take a bus there, and then get a later one to go to Warwick. You would have to pay twice so might work out a bit pricey.

I think we must have got off at the second stop cause we had a bit of a problem finding a path down, seemed to cross some grass first. It was pretty early in the morning, I think we got the first tourist bus, and the 4 of us were the only ones in the beach. We walked along the beach towards Horseshoe and at the far end of Warwick beach there was a paved lane way with a concession? Hut ( didn't go up) and mini busses ( maybe taxis) dropping people off. Suddenly the beach wasn't "ours anymore". Maybe this is where the first bus stop is?

The public bus will drop you at the bus stop which is located about 200 feet from the paved access road that takes you to the beach.

That is not a concession hut you saw but very crude toilets. The paved lane you saw is the access road to the beach. The bus stop is to the left of the access road; there is no need to walk a path if you get off at the correct stop.

SBtS

The public bus will drop you at the bus stop which is located about 200 feet from the paved access road that takes you to the beach.

That is not a concession hut you saw but very crude toilets. The paved lane you saw is the access road to the beach. The bus stop is to the left of the access road; there is no need to walk a path if you get off at the correct stop.

SBtS

The paved area is the main entrance on the west end. Parking lot and where the toilets are. Sounds like they got off at the east end which is one stop farther along from the Dockyard. I don't think it really matters, they could both be called correct except most probably would prefer entering on the paved lane at the west end. If you enter on the main entry on the west the long stretch of Warwick is to the east. Jobsons Cove and the walk to Horseshoe are to the west. There has been a concession selling food at the main entrance. Like hot dogs. Sometimes there are chairs to rent. That can't be depended on in the past. Who knows about this year, food or chairs, we will have to get some fresh trip reports. It is a little early now. If there is food or chairs they might not set up until after Bermuda Day.

Edited by Charles4515

SBtS

Yes that makes sense. However if you want a stretch if beach to yourselves, head to the other end where we started. That's left as you look at the water!

You can take the #7 bus. If you do then buy a token for each trip. The Minibuses run to Horseshoe but if you have seven they will take you to Warwick. Also some last year reported back that they asked minibus drivers about Warwick and were able to get dropped off there.

Last August, we used the minibus to go to Warwick. It stopped at horseshoe first and then Warwick. We then walked the path to horseshoe as had been recommended here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is suggested you start at Warwick Beach and walk to Horseshoe Bay because HSB has complete facilities so if you test the waters along the walk, you can freshen up before returning to the Dockyard.

Here is a satellite photo that shows the trails:

BeachPathV3.jpg

SBtS

SBtS!

I'm leaving on Anthem in 18 days! I've googled and researched every single way to do a beach tour of Bermuda. And then I found this marvelous thread! I can not thank you enough. I've walked along Horshoe Bay all the way to the first set of large rocks and up the hill to take photos. But I was a bit scared to continue on not knowing what was around the corner.

Can you tell me if this is a safe route for a solo traveler to do? I usually try to follow others on these sorts of excursions. As of now, seems like I will be able to walk the full trail. Just a bit confused about the difference between the horse trail and other trail.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-J700M using Forums mobile app

SBtS!

I'm leaving on Anthem in 18 days! I've googled and researched every single way to do a beach tour of Bermuda. And then I found this marvelous thread! I can not thank you enough. I've walked along Horshoe Bay all the way to the first set of large rocks and up the hill to take photos. But I was a bit scared to continue on not knowing what was around the corner.

Can you tell me if this is a safe route for a solo traveler to do? I usually try to follow others on these sorts of excursions. As of now, seems like I will be able to walk the full trail. Just a bit confused about the difference between the horse trail and other trail.

Thank you!

You are welcome! So glad I am able to help.

A solo traveler can do this. I am unable to help in selecting the walking paths vs the horse trail. Just look where you are stepping :D. I remember that a returnee posted that there were signs along the way.

SBtS

I have done it solo. I thought it was safe. So, at places along the way you can not walk along the water because the rocks block the way. Exact places may vary with the tides. Then you take the trail up and around the blockage. When you have to go up you also get some great views. The way is easy to find and follow. ( what you might need to watch for is horse manure on some parts of the trail )

Edited by Charles4515

Hope not off topic here, but I've seen posts about getting a 2 day pass or such. Where is this purchased and is it for only public transportation? Does that include the minibus or can you get day passes for the minibus? Thanks!!!

Hope not off topic here, but I've seen posts about getting a 2 day pass or such. Where is this purchased and is it for only public transportation? Does that include the minibus or can you get day passes for the minibus? Thanks!!!

Assuming you're talking about purchasing it at the Royal Dockyard because you're on a ship docked there, the passes can be purchased at three different locations, Heritage Wharf, Kings Wharf and the Visitor's Information Center near the ferry dock. It's only good on the public buses and ferries, not the mini buses that go to the beach. There are no passes for the mini buses. On those you pay for each individual ride.

The two day transportation pass is only good on public transportation. The public buses or ferries. Those are purchased at the Visitor Information Centers. Also sold there are one day passes and tokens for single trips. There are three locations in the Dockyard. One at each of the cruise ship terminals and a third near the ferry dock.

The Minibuses are private transportation and are not included. They have been charging $7 per trip, per person to Horseshoe Bay. They don't have day passes.

The newly completed boardwalk down to Horseshoe Bay is a huge improvement and freshly done. Last week they were working hard to get the Rum Bum bar and stage ready for the summer. Restrooms are in a sorry state but are due to be worked on. The walk was wonderful though water a tad too cool to swim in.