BARRACUDA BITE on HALF MOON CAY?

octcruise10

My first trip to HMC next month has now just got real!!! Thank you all!!!

3 years ago in freeport My father and I had 2 barracudas swim right under us about 15feet deep and they seemed to want nothing to do with us not I did have a remora want to suck right up to my belly for a free ride.

The closet thing to a real barracuda encounter I have had the pleasure to would have to be in Gran Turk on an excursion when one of the guide pulled a shark off the bottom for people to see

IMG_0148.jpg.f2236979cb6ff82ee3f8c27183294942.jpg

• 7 months later...

This is why we don't get in the water. There is always a chance you could be the 1% ... and everybody always thinks "It won't happen to me" until it does. Not willing to take that chance.

On another note ... for those who drive - you would think the instructors on the excursions would tell people to take their jewelry and other shiny objects OFF before getting in the water? That's common sense. We did a snorkle thing in the keys years back w/ our kids for a field trip when stationed in Miami. They told everybody prior to boarding that day that shiny objects, shiny clothes and jewelry were NOT allowed for those reasons.

This is why we don't get in the water. There is always a chance you could be the 1% ... and everybody always thinks "It won't happen to me" until it does. Not willing to take that chance.

On another note ... for those who drive - you would think the instructors on the excursions would tell people to take their jewelry and other shiny objects OFF before getting in the water? That's common sense. We did a snorkle thing in the keys years back w/ our kids for a field trip when stationed in Miami. They told everybody prior to boarding that day that shiny objects, shiny clothes and jewelry were NOT allowed for those reasons.

Hey, at least if something bad happens, I'll go down famously [emoji3]. Same thing I told my mom when I swam with the jaguar in Roatan. When it's my time, it's my time. I refuse to let the "what ifs" rule my life. What if I die in a car wreck? Much more chance of that.

I will go on vacation, take proper precautions such as remove shiny jewelry, etc. to minimize my risk and enjoy the warm, beautiful Caribbean water. I feel sad for those that don't get to experience it. As someone who would scuba dive to clean the shark tank along with the seal tank on a regular basis (don't let their cuteness fool you - they can be naughty even biting your head) at the aquarium, sea life doesn't phase me. I would rather take my chances with critters in the ocean vs people.

Was he feeding the fish at the time?

No, we were sitting in knee deep water talking, then we got up to walk in to the beach. It was the scariest moment of my life. Totally unprovoked, doing nothing. We didnt even get a look at what it was. They determined it was a shark due to the circumference of the bite. A barracuda bite would have been a slice due to the shape of their mouths. Once they had us loaded onto a tender to get us back to the boat, they let all of the people back into the water..:o

No, we were sitting in knee deep water talking, then we got up to walk in to the beach. It was the scariest moment of my life. Totally unprovoked, doing nothing. We didnt even get a look at what it was. They determined it was a shark due to the circumference of the bite. A barracuda bite would have been a slice due to the shape of their mouths. Once they had us loaded onto a tender to get us back to the boat, they let all of the people back into the water..:o

Wow. That's crazy!