Raise in beverage prices. Shouldn't we be grandfathered in?

mscdivina2016

OMG, we agree. I think NCL should drop the UBP and price drinks as if there were no UBP (back to reality). But can you imagine the uproar from many if they did that. I can see it now....NCL is greedy, they are making me pay for my drinks when the use to give them to me free. NCL is baiting and switching because now I have to pay for drinks. Mr. Del Rio is pocketing all my hard earned money now that I have to pay for the drinks they use to give me for free.

Actually, they are not free. You pay them in your elevated fares. I booked at a price point I was comfortable with. It included the UBP. A couple of months later the UBP was dropped from the incentives and the fares were cheaper. About $700 per person in a balcony cabin. (12day). So yes OP paid for his UBP in his cruise fare. He had an expectation, and he is disappointed.

I am too, I leave in two weeks. Is it legal, probably, is it good Customer relations, probably not.

Anyway, I suggest they change the name to the LBP. Limited beverage package.

Lessons learned.

Happy Cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, they are not free. You pay them in your elevated fares. I booked at a price point I was comfortable with. It included the UBP. A couple of months later the UBP was dropped from the incentives and the fares were cheaper. About $700 per person in a balcony cabin. (12day). So yes OP paid for his UBP in his cruise fare. He had an expectation, and he is disappointed.

I am too, I leave in two weeks. Is it legal, probably, is it good Customer relations, probably not.

Anyway, I suggest they change the name to the LBP. Limited beverage package.

Lessons learned.

Happy Cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I wasn't talking about the OP, if you read my post I was speaking about how I think they should get rid of the UBP, in response to another poster, and re-price the drinks. Secondly, I also never said the UBP is free, anyone with business sense knows that NCL adds $X onto the fares to compensate for the UBP, just like every other cruise line does. Thirdly, in my post where it says "free", those are comments I believe that many will make if NCL ever took my advice and got rid of the UBP, because I believe a lot of cruises don't understand that we as consumers pay for everything.

As far as the change being legal or not, NCL didn't touch the UBP; no changes to the terms, no changes on how many drinks you can get, etc.. What they did was raise the prices of some of their drinks/brands, which is a totally a different issue and I certainly understand some being upset because they can't get their favorite brand of liquor.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

First, I wasn't talking about the OP, if you read my post I was speaking about how I think they should get rid of the UBP, in response to another poster, and re-price the drinks. Secondly, I also never said the UBP is free, anyone with business sense knows that NCL adds $X onto the fares to compensate for the UBP, just like every other cruise line does. Thirdly, in my post where it says "free", those are comments I believe that many will make if NCL ever took my advice and got rid of the UBP, because I believe a lot of cruises don't understand that we as consumers pay for everything.

As far as the change being legal or not, NCL didn't touch the UBP; no changes to the terms, no changes on how many drinks you can get, etc.. What they did was raise the prices of some of their drinks/brands, which is a totally a different issue and I certainly understand some being upset because they can't get their favorite brand of liquor.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise.

I actually think this is where they are going. The price increase brings the "included" beverages more in line with the Sky's "open bar" (coincidentally, what they are calling the current UBP perk). Not so far a leap to put the actual "open bar" concept fleet-wide, for your convenience, and restructure the pricing. Then after awhile drop the perk and put the pricing back where it should be for reasonable profitability.

I actually think this is where they are going. The price increase brings the "included" beverages more in line with the Sky's "open bar" (coincidentally, what they are calling the current UBP perk). Not so far a leap to put the actual "open bar" concept fleet-wide, for your convenience, and restructure the pricing. Then after awhile drop the perk and put the pricing back where it should be for reasonable profitability.
I wouldn't have an issue with this, as I'm a light drinker and if I want wine, I'll bring my wine of choice onboard, since they don't carry my vineyard of choice. I'd never get the UBP if it were one of the perks (suites get all the perks) with my booking. I think if they go to an "open bar" they will be able to be better selective as to what brands they pour and I would bet they won't be selling many of the premium brands and most will be satisfied with the well brands.