Raise in beverage prices. Shouldn't we be grandfathered in?

mscdivina2016

How much did you pay for the UBP? Oh, that's right nothing, nada , zilch, zip. It was given to you as a promo.

You have less than no excuse to complain about anything.

That's true it was but that promo cost me $1137.00

I also was given a call by my cruise planner at NCL that the promo was ending and I needed to book now. Guess what? They extended it :eek:. 8 days ago they extended it again. :eek:

Good thing I booked.:rolleyes:

But I guess what I should do is bring my rum runners with me as once I get off the cruise I still have 30 days of land travel thru China. We can order an extra 2 a day each straight up and fill the rum runners. So that would give me 160 ounces to take with me as its free.

I do not see in the contract where I cannot take any home with me :D

I just can't bring it on.

Edited by mscdivina2016

You pay the difference plus 18%

Are you sure? I know that's been the policy up until now, but with the type of changes NCL has been making lately it wouldn't surprise me that, if jm845 is right and the "super premium" liquors are now "excluded" from UBP, it would make sense that you pay the full price.

That's the next cutback I see coming anyway ... drinks excluded from the UBP entirely and to get those you pay the full price, not the difference. Having a list of "super premium" drinks that are "not included on the UBP" seems to be a step in that direction (if not a Fait Accompli).

Are you sure? I know that's been the policy up until now, but with the type of changes NCL has been making lately it wouldn't surprise me that, if jm845 is right and the "super premium" liquors are now "excluded" from UBP, it would make sense that you pay the full price.

That's the next cutback I see coming anyway ... drinks excluded from the UBP entirely and to get those you pay the full price, not the difference. Having a list of "super premium" drinks that are "not included on the UBP" seems to be a step in that direction (if not a Fait Accompli).

Many have been on the ship and just paid the difference recently.

I don't have a copy of the previous terms of the UBP T&Cs handy, so I don't know if this is a change or not. But here's what's currently there when you click on the link under the "Free Open Bar" block on the current Free at Sea offers. Maybe they only apply to people who are booking under that promo, and not to those with older packages?

"Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines."

That's why I thought I'd ask. Maybe this isn't something new, but I don't want to be surprised if its not included. ETA: And what about "ship specific promotions and beer buckets"? I don't remember those being excluded, but honestly, we don't drink a lot of beer, so I didn't pay that much attention.

FWIW -- for the trip I'm taking next spring with HAL, drinks that cost more than $8 are not included on their Signature Beverage plan and if you order something that's more than $8, you pay full price. So NCL wouldn't be "first" to take that particular step, if that's where they are heading.

Edited by jm485

I also was given a call by my cruise planner at NCL that the promo was ending and I needed to book now. Guess what? They extended it :eek:. 8 days ago they extended it again. :eek:

But I guess what I should do is bring my rum runners with me as once I get off the cruise I still have 30 days of land travel thru China. We can order an extra 2 a day each straight up and fill the rum runners. So that would give me 160 ounces to take with me as its free.

If you don't mind my asking how did the promo cost you $1137?

I don't have a copy of the previous terms of the UBP T&Cs handy, so I don't know if this is a change or not. But here's what's currently there when you click on the link under the "Free Open Bar" block on the current Free at Sea offers. Maybe they only apply to people who are booking under that promo, and not to those with older packages?

"Does not include room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines."

That's why I thought I'd ask. Maybe this isn't something new, but I don't want to be surprised if its not included. ETA: And what about "ship specific promotions and beer buckets"? I don't remember those being excluded, but honestly, we don't drink a lot of beer, so I didn't pay that much attention.

FWIW -- for the trip I'm taking next spring with HAL, drinks that cost more than $8 are not included on their Signature Beverage plan and if you order something that's more than $8, you pay full price. So NCL wouldn't be "first" to take that particular step, if that's where they are heading.

HAL is new to the beverage package game. It seems they all start out with the if its not included you pay full price model. After awhile they seem to switch to the pay the difference model. At least that has been the case with princess, RCCL and NCL. Carnival solved the problem of raising liquor prices by raising their limit to 49.95 but leaving the daily limit.

This has not changed in a while. Even back when super premium category was $10.95, it was included. So if they've changed that policy with the recent increase to $16.95, then shame on them even more.

Who in their right mind would pay that much for patron silver or a grey goose flavor, especially if they already have the UBP.

I'd spring for the extra couple bucks to pay the difference a few times, but if they tell me I can drink grey goose for free or pay over $18 for grey goose orange, then no orange for me.

I guess I'll find out next month.

This has not changed in a while. Even back when super premium category was $10.95, it was included. So if they've changed that policy with the recent increase to $16.95, then shame on them even more.

Who in their right mind would pay that much for patron silver or a grey goose flavor, especially if they already have the UBP.

I'd spring for the extra couple bucks to pay the difference a few times, but if they tell me I can drink grey goose for free or pay over $18 for grey goose orange, then no orange for me.

I guess I'll find out next month.

I would say just ask the bartender for an orange garnish but that's probably not the same.

I would say just ask the bartender for an orange garnish but that's probably not the same.

Yea, a nice slice of fresh orange helps or a slight splash of oj maybe.

Bottom line is, I was planning on having something with no extra charge, now thanks to this board, no help from ncl lol, I will either be paying a few dollars extra for it, or not having it at all as asking for $16.95 is outrageous, especially after people have paid money for the UBP or the 18% grat on the "free perk"

It wont ruin my trip and there are still plenty of beers and fine name brand liqours. If they end up only offering bartons out of the plastic jug, then ill complain.

So transparent, honest and above-board dealings mean nothing?

Crack on - fill Mr Del Rio's pockets with passengers' dollars extracted under less than transparent pretenses. I will not - I have more self respect than that.

NCL are acting like snake oil salesmen at the moment - anybody who cannot see this needs a serious reality check.

It really is something on these boards. Whenever NCL does something crappy, it's kind of like there is a cadre waiting in the wings to lawyer the situation and explain how really NCL promises you virtually nothing.

I almost wish the threads could be divided into two -- one who want to discuss the actual issue and how it will affect their cruising and one that is just focused on whether it is "legal" or not. That would make it easier to skip the latter. I understand the way it evolved because OP asked about "grandfathering," but seriously, we get it -- NCL has unfettered discretion to do whatever they want so long as they turn the lights on and would kick all our tushes if we ever filed arbitration claims. Accepted.

Now can we talk about how freakin' crazy it is to charge people hundreds of dollars for "free" beverages and then to jack prices of standard drinks up to $17 to avoid making them truly "free"?

It really is something on these boards. Whenever NCL does something crappy, it's kind of like there is a cadre waiting in the wings to lawyer the situation and explain how really NCL promises you virtually nothing.

I almost wish the threads could be divided into two -- one who want to discuss the actual issue and how it will affect their cruising and one that is just focused on whether it is "legal" or not. That would make it easier to skip the latter. I understand the way it evolved because OP asked about "grandfathering," but seriously, we get it -- NCL has unfettered discretion to do whatever they want so long as they turn the lights on and would kick all our tushes if we ever filed arbitration claims. Accepted.

Now can we talk about how freakin' crazy it is to charge people hundreds of dollars for "free" beverages and then to jack prices of standard drinks up to $17 to avoid making them truly "free"?

Agreed, totally legal and totally absurd.

a $6 price increase over night, while not increasing other types of liqour and leaving the total bottle price exactly the same. Transparent money grab.

Combined with some posters saying that now they will not honor the UBP on any super premium brands and thus instead of paying the $1.95 difference, they would make you pay the entire $16.95.

A lot of people genuinely seem to believe it's more important to be a 'fan' than to be a savvy consumer.

Billion dollar corporations don't need cheering squads. It's kind of weird.

A lot of people genuinely seem to believe it's more important to be a 'fan' than to be a savvy consumer.

Billion dollar corporations don't need cheering squads. It's kind of weird.

I agree. I never understand brand loyalists. Dc vs. Marvel, Apple vs. Android etc.

These companies dont give a damn about us except for taking our money each time a new product comes out. I spend my money on the brands I like, I am not loyal to any one particular airline, cruiseline, comic brand, tech brand, etc.

One of the saddest things I've had to do is stop going to yankee stadium. I love the yankees but as the ownership continues to treat me like crap, I won't continue to support them with my hard earned money.

I havent cruised yet and I'm already upset with NCL and given the choice I can't imagine wanting to do business with them again. The cruise will be great and if I enjoy elements of it, maybe i'd like to cruise again with a different company.

Actually from an NCL standpoint I think you are completely fine for that idea.

The issue might be with Chinese customs, I have NO idea what their rule is on importing liquor (since not in a sealed bottle would be considered for immediate consumption) and whether there would be any tariffs.

And you do NOT want to mess with those happy people at Chinese Immigration and Customs...

I agree. I never understand brand loyalists. Dc vs. Marvel, Apple vs. Android etc.

These companies dont give a damn about us except for taking our money each time a new product comes out. I spend my money on the brands I like, I am not loyal to any one particular airline, cruiseline, comic brand, tech brand, etc.

One of the saddest things I've had to do is stop going to yankee stadium. I love the yankees but as the ownership continues to treat me like crap, I won't continue to support them with my hard earned money.

I havent cruised yet and I'm already upset with NCL and given the choice I can't imagine wanting to do business with them again. The cruise will be great and if I enjoy elements of it, maybe i'd like to cruise again with a different company.

Yes, Apple vs Android definitely came to mind. I've got people vehemently on both sides of the fence in my office, and my feeling is that once you're emotionally 'loyal' to a tech brand, you're undermining your ability to get the best product for the problem you're trying to solve.

(I use both platforms depending on the thing I'm trying to do.)

I'm pretty new to cruising, but I've been trying lots of different lines (I've been on NCL, DCL and Celebrity, with Princess coming up next). I end up in these NCL squabbles frequently solely because NCL has made so many customer-hostile policy changes just in the short time since I've gotten interested in cruising (maybe 18 months max). Generally speaking, most of the cruise lines seem to do this, but NCL is pushing at about 100mph while everyone else is at 10-15mph, if you'll forgive this crappy analogy.

Actually from an NCL standpoint I think you are completely fine for that idea.

The issue might be with Chinese customs, I have NO idea what their rule is on importing liquor (since not in a sealed bottle would be considered for immediate consumption) and whether there would be any tariffs.

And you do NOT want to mess with those happy people at Chinese Immigration and Customs...

That's a great question.:confused: I have not thought that far yet. We will be in Japan for a few nights before we fly to Beijing so I should be fine with it getting off the ship in Japan.

I see the recent raise in drink prices. When I booked, I was happy to take the UBP as it came with some of my favorite premium liquors. Now it appears they are above the price limit.

Why are we not grandfathered in? If I purchase an excursion now and the price goes up later, I get the old deal. Why not with this. On a past cruise, I got only 1 of 5 items from the promo, they changed it and I would have gotten 2 of 5. ( It was after final payment) so I lost out. In this case I booked and paid so the old package is what I should get. I am already paying over $1100 in tips for the UBP as it is for two people. ( yes that is for the UBP and not the service charge)

Steve

only if you are a grandfather ! all kidding aside yes you should be.

Again, thank you. I am pretty sure that DW and I would be able to consume at least $1137 in alcoholic beverages with 40 nights to work with.

Based on their current drink pricing that would be easy:D

We are figuring on at least 5 a day each (probably much more :eek: maybe double)

So after 40 days that's 400 drinks. Not counting the extra 2 to 4 a day I plan on taking off with me at the end :D so that's an extra 80-160 drinks.

<snip>

<snip>

I am just trying to imagine a Chinese customs officer trying to pronounce 'rum runners' (I know I am probably going to the naughty room for that:rolleyes:).

NCL never grandfathers in any of these changes.

Book the cruise you hope to get, but be prepared to get something different.

When I decided to leave NCL a year ago as a Platinum Member, I saw all these endless price increases coming. NCL now bears no resemblance to the cruise experience we enjoyed when the Norwegian Dawn first sailed out of New York. When will the other long time NCL passengers finally say enough?