Raise in beverage prices. Shouldn't we be grandfathered in?

mscdivina2016

I see the recent raise in drink prices. When I booked, I was happy to take the UBP as it came with some of my favorite premium liquors. Now it appears they are above the price limit.

Why are we not grandfathered in? If I purchase an excursion now and the price goes up later, I get the old deal. Why not with this. On a past cruise, I got only 1 of 5 items from the promo, they changed it and I would have gotten 2 of 5. ( It was after final payment) so I lost out. In this case I booked and paid so the old package is what I should get. I am already paying over $1100 in tips for the UBP as it is for two people. ( yes that is for the UBP and not the service charge)

Steve

I see the recent raise in drink prices. When I booked, I was happy to take the UBP as it came with some of my favorite premium liquors. Now it appears they are above the price limit.

Why are we not grandfathered in? If I purchase an excursion now and the price goes up later, I get the old deal. Why not with this. On a past cruise, I got only 1 of 5 items from the promo, they changed it and I would have gotten 2 of 5. ( It was after final payment) so I lost out. In this case I booked and paid so the old package is what I should get. I am already paying over $1100 in tips for the UBP as it is for two people. ( yes that is for the UBP and not the service charge)

Steve

Thats why the way they did this was so underhanded and petty. The package you paid for is still the same. The drink prices have changed. So there's no guarantee that drink prices will remain the same up until your cruise. If they make a change to the actual terms of the UBP then I think we'd be grandfathered to those changes.

I feel the same way you do. I didn't pay for the package, but I still feel like its a bait and switch, or at minimum a lousy thing to do.

I honestly do not know of one single business, be it a hotel, resort, theatre, sports venue or anything else who has ever grandfathered when it comes to prices of things like drinks, food etc.

The difference between drink prices and an excursion is that you are making the purchase at a specific price. Once you have agreed with that price then they can't change it.

Unless you were given a list of drinks with prices when you booked and were asked to select which drinks you would like then they aren't compatible.

If I booked a restaurant for next Sunday and they introduced new menus and prices the day before, should I expect to get the old prices?

Edit to say that as you have the UBP, I believe that this can be cancelled if it no longer makes sense for you. I understand that it may make a difference to that decision, although you do only pay the excess over $15.

I certainly have more sympathy for people who have the UBP, and it could make more difference (when originally reading your message I read it that you were suggesting that people who have already booked the cruise should be grandfathered into the original prices per drink). However, all the terms say is that it is drinks to a certain amount, not specifying drinks.

Out of interest, what drinks have increased in price? I saw reference to this earlier but couldn't find details.

Edited by KeithJenner

I honestly do not know of one single business, be it a hotel, resort, theatre, sports venue or anything else who has ever grandfathered when it comes to prices of things like drinks, food etc.

The difference between drink prices and an excursion is that you are making the purchase at a specific price. Once you have agreed with that price then they can't change it.

Unless you were given a list of drinks with prices when you booked and were asked to select which drinks you would like then they aren't compatible.

If I booked a restaurant for next Sunday and they introduced new menus and prices the day before, should I expect to get the old prices?

You're not wrong at all.

But if you had booked a prix fixe meal in advance and told it currently features certain items and now it doesnt, even if its within the terms of the package agreement, you'd be upset.

If you just walk into the bar or restaurant, you pay the prices on the menu or you don't. But if you pre-paid for something and its now not what it was then, even if its legal, its still going to upset and disappoint people.

You're not wrong at all.

But if you had booked a prix fixe meal in advance and told it currently features certain items and now it doesnt, even if its within the terms of the package agreement, you'd be upset.

If you just walk into the bar or restaurant, you pay the prices on the menu or you don't. But if you pre-paid for something and its now not what it was then, even if its legal, its still going to upset and disappoint people.

Yeah, I was editing my post when you posted this. It does change things a bit, although I'm not sure which side of the fence I would come down on.

Didn't the old UBP only cover up to $11 and now covers up to $15?

That changed a while ago. I believe from this post and another I saw earlier that some drinks have now gone over $15. The other post mentioned Grey Goose I think, which from memory seemed to be priced a bit low compared to other drinks.

One thing that changed back then that will help here is that you now only pay the difference.

Edited by KeithJenner

Yeah, I was editing my post when you posted this. It does change things a bit, although I'm not sure which side of the fence I would come down on.

yes, based on edited post, I agree with you completely. I got the UBP as a perk so I'll suck it up and pay the few bucks when I really want something over $15.

Out of interest, what drinks have increased in price? I saw reference to this earlier but couldn't find details.

Two that I noticed:

Patron Silver

VSOP Cognac

I also think someone said the flavored vodka

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two that I noticed:

Patron Silver

VSOP Cognac

I also think someone said the flavored vodka

Thanks. I've found the menus now in another thread. It seems to be the super premium spirits and some cocktails.

I can't say I recognised most of the cocktails. Not that I spend too much time looking at those menus, but I wonder whether some of them may be new?

Thanks. I've found the menus now in another thread. It seems to be the super premium spirits and some cocktails.

I can't say I recognised most of the cocktails. Not that I spend too much time looking at those menus, but I wonder whether some of them may be new?

Do you have a link to the other thread available? thanks!

I found this:

6981ac9da4ccf89a8357cee31439b865.jpg

Why would you think that? Grandfathering drink price was never part of the deal.

I agree that it won't happen. But conceptually it's kind of annoying because there are a number of items on the list at the time of purchase of the UDP that aren't part of it any more.

(I'm not hugely concerned, because maybe I'll have 5 Woodford Reserves, and it will be an extra ten bucks. But it's still a little annoying.)

I suppose instead of Grey Goose Cherry and Soda I'll just get Grey Goose and Soda with a tiny splash of grenadine :)

Edited by ChrisNY2

In this particular case, the answer is no..

The UBP is basically a plan that says you get a credit up to $15 or actual price of drink (whichever is lower). They can change the price of any drink at any time, because the plan doesn't specify brands.

As the program shakes out, I would expect drinks to be moved in and out of the price window, based on not only demand, but cost (like food, booze is under contract, when the contract expires, prices can change drastically)

Steve

I may be confused, but how many days is your cruise if the gratuity on the UBP is $1100.00? Im not being a wisenheimer

Am I reading this wrong? You got the ubp as a promo and you paid 1100 dollars in tips for it?

Yup, I think you are reading it wrong. S/he said "In this case I booked and paid" so I think the $1100 is the total cost, not the cost of the tips.

Yup, I think you are reading it wrong. S/he said "In this case I booked and paid" so I think the $1100 is the total cost, not the cost of the tips.

In that cased, he got a DEAL! The price today for two is $1,305.08. :eek:

No, I think he meant tips on the UBP: I am already paying over $1100 in tips for the UBP as it is for two people. ( yes that is for the UBP and not the service charge)