Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Aquarium, Caves & Highlights tour.

Sprasa03

Interested in the Aquarium, Caves & Highlights tour. Has anyone else done it?

Do you think 4 hours is enough time to see the Aquarium, Caves, Museum, Garden and Zoo?

Also, I think the tour takes you there, but not back. How much extra time should I allow from start to finish?

Just don't want to book a dinner that we'll miss because we aren't back to the ship in time.

PS. I don't know why part of this text is bolded, it won't let me unbold it!

Having been on numerous NCL cruises to Bermuda, my strong recommendation is that you do these attractions yourself.

Bermuda is a very easy island to navigate, the bus times are very accommodating, and you have lots of time to do things.

Just a suggestion! :)

The time NCL quotes is accurate for the tour. They will not bring you back to the ship. You have to take a land taxi or a water taxi. I'm a solo traveller and took the water taxi. I ended up waiting in line for 45min. The ride was quick. But, the walk back to the ship was exhausting. Depending on when your tour ends, add about 3 hours if your tour ends at 4pm before going to dinner. That will give you time to get back to the ship, relax, and get to dinner on time.

This information is a little old, so the prices probably have risen slightly.

1. Buy an unlimited transit day pass for all members of the group. It costs $15 for adults and $7.50 for children.
  2. Take the 9:30 AM ferry from the Dockyards to St. George. (45 minutes)
  3. Go see the sites of St. George. I wasn’t too fond of St. George, so we only stayed an hour. At the ferry station, go up the hill and wait for ANY bus to Hamilton. The map claims only the 1 and 3 bus go to the caves, but the 10 and 11 bus go there as well. The stop for the caves will be next to an ice cream shop on your left. Follow the path to the cave box office. (15 minutes)
  4. After you’re done with the caves (1 hour), take the 10 or 11 bus to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) (15-20 minutes). Admission costs $10 for adults and $5 for children. (2 hours)
  5. Take the 10 or 11 bus to Hamilton. Walk to the ferry and take the next one back to the Dockyards.

This information is a little old, so the prices probably have risen slightly.

1. Buy an unlimited transit day pass for all members of the group. It costs $15 for adults and $7.50 for children.
  2. Take the 9:30 AM ferry from the Dockyards to St. George. (45 minutes)
  3. Go see the sites of St. George. I wasn’t too fond of St. George, so we only stayed an hour. At the ferry station, go up the hill and wait for ANY bus to Hamilton. The map claims only the 1 and 3 bus go to the caves, but the 10 and 11 bus go there as well. The stop for the caves will be next to an ice cream shop on your left. Follow the path to the cave box office. (15 minutes)
  4. After you’re done with the caves (1 hour), take the 10 or 11 bus to the Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) (15-20 minutes). Admission costs $10 for adults and $5 for children. (2 hours)
  5. Take the 10 or 11 bus to Hamilton. Walk to the ferry and take the next one back to the Dockyards.

The time NCL quotes is accurate for the tour. They will not bring you back to the ship. You have to take a land taxi or a water taxi. I'm a solo traveller and took the water taxi. I ended up waiting in line for 45min. The ride was quick. But, the walk back to the ship was exhausting. Depending on when your tour ends, add about 3 hours if your tour ends at 4pm before going to dinner. That will give you time to get back to the ship, relax, and get to dinner on time.

1. the 1 day Transportation Pass is $19 for adults, $9.50 children.

2. if you miss the 9:30AM ferry, the next is at 11:30AM; suggestion, take 10AM ferry to Hamilton and the a route #10 or #11 bus to the caves.

3. I consider St George to be a 'must see'. As for the buses to the caves. Bus routes #1 & 3 will drop you at the access road to the caves. Bus routes #10 & 11 will drop you in front of the Swizzle Inn leaving you about a ¼ mile walk to the access road to the caves.

4. OK

5. OK

As for the water taxi, there are none operating in Bermuda in 2016. The options to return to the Dockyard are either a taxi or the ferry. The ferry departs Hamilton generally once per hour on the :00. The ferry dock at the Dockyard is about ¼ mile from either cruise ship.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling v2

We just sat down this morning and worked out the price of the excursion v. doing the activities on our own and I agree that it is way cheaper to go on your own. We are a family of 4 with our teenager counting as an adult. The excursion would be close to $400 and then we have to pay for transportation back from Hamilton, which is about $20. The zoo, museum and aquarium is one attraction and admission is $10 (adult) and $5 (child 12 and under). The caves (you only see Crystal Caves) is $22 (adult) and $10 (child). Even factoring in $40 for round-time transportation, the cost is only about $150 for the 4 of us compared to the $420 we would be spending. And if you go on your own, there is no time constraint. Hope this helps.

Bermuda is very do-able on your own, so it seems to make even less sense to take a ship-sponsored tour that doesn't even return you to the ship.

Take the ferry to the historic and picturesque St. George, and consider doing a walking tour there. (There were free walking tours when we were there.) Then a bus towards Hamilton as others have noted. Get off at the fabulous Swizzle Inn and have lunch there. It may not look like much, but their Bailey's Bay Fish Sandwich is incredibly delicious (pairs nicely with the Rum Swizzle :)). See the Caves (we didn't do this, so I can't help you on the timing or planning, maybe the Swizzle Inn will be too much), then take the bus to Hamilton and do whatever you want there. Then a ferry back to the Dockyard.

It's been a number of years since we were there, but judging from the comments above, this routing should work. Most important, there is lots of info on the Ports of Call/Bermuda board re how to get around on your own. Check it all out before you go, so you'll have the bus numbers, routes, etc.

LunchatSwizzleInn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

unfortuneately i already bought the excursion in my trip is in 3 weeks so I'm not sure if I can cancle.... I didn't read the fine print clearly I guess and didn't realize that it would be so much trouble getting back to the boat and I'm wondering if I should attempt to do it all on my own.....

unfortuneately i already bought the excursion in my trip is in 3 weeks so I'm not sure if I can cancle.... I didn't read the fine print clearly I guess and didn't realize that it would be so much trouble getting back to the boat and I'm wondering if I should attempt to do it all on my own.....

What trouble is there getting back to the Dockyard?

The tour ends in Hamilton, and the most likely place you'll be dropped is on Front St near the ferry terminal.

Enter the ferry terminal, and purchase a token if you don't already have one. The Hamilton to Dockyard ferry departs Hamilton once an hour on the :00.

Find a place to wait and then board the ferry. Then enjoy the 20 minute ride to the Dockyard

To me, this is easy peasy.

SBtS

I heard from previous posters that there are lines to get a taxi/bus/whatever back to the boat and we are on a time constraint because we need to get back get to a dinner rsvp and do an evening tour. I hear that dinners can run long and I don't want to feel rushed. People may want to shower before dinner, etc.

Plus I'm with a group that isn't extremely mobile, I don't mind the walk and I'd speed walk if I had to, to get to dinner on time but I'm not sure my group could, esp. after walking for hours at the zoo, aquarium and caves.

NCL says I have up to 48 hours before the tour to cancel so still don't know what my plan is yet, but I may just switch the day to relieve some of the travel/stress.

I heard from previous posters that there are lines to get a taxi/bus/whatever back to the boat and we are on a time constraint because we need to get back get to a dinner rsvp and do an evening tour. I hear that dinners can run long and I don't want to feel rushed. People may want to shower before dinner, etc.

Plus I'm with a group that isn't extremely mobile, I don't mind the walk and I'd speed walk if I had to, to get to dinner on time but I'm not sure my group could, esp. after walking for hours at the zoo, aquarium and caves.

NCL says I have up to 48 hours before the tour to cancel so still don't know what my plan is yet, but I may just switch the day to relieve some of the travel/stress.

I understand your situation better.

But keep this in mind, you wouldn't want to take a taxi back because of the expense and travel time of about 45 minutes. You wouldn't want to take the bus because the travel time is a little over an hour.

The option that meets your need is the ferry as long as the scheduled departure gets you back to the cruise ship when you want to be back. Travel time is 20 minutes.

The ferry holds up to 400 passengers (maybe more), so the waiting line will be long and the boarding is done at a walking pace; and this will all be done before schedule departure time.

BTW, a boat can be carried by a ship but not vice versa so you are traveling on a ship, specifically a cruise ship. That's it for today's lesson :cool:.

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

Actually I called NCL and they said the Friday tour (same tour and cost) DOES take you back - so I'm probably just going to switch the day...

This was my understanding as well, and the reason why we chose to book it that last day!

We just sat down this morning and worked out the price of the excursion v. doing the activities on our own and I agree that it is way cheaper to go on your own. We are a family of 4 with our teenager counting as an adult. The excursion would be close to $400 and then we have to pay for transportation back from Hamilton, which is about $20. The zoo, museum and aquarium is one attraction and admission is $10 (adult) and $5 (child 12 and under). The caves (you only see Crystal Caves) is $22 (adult) and $10 (child). Even factoring in $40 for round-time transportation, the cost is only about $150 for the 4 of us compared to the $420 we would be spending. And if you go on your own, there is no time constraint. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the cost info.

Actually I called NCL and they said the Friday tour (same tour and cost) DOES take you back - so I'm probably just going to switch the day...

If your folks are mobility challenged, remember there a quite a few steps at the caves. I imagine the tour is only going to do one of them given all you are to see in such a short time. Crystal is the most scenic and the steps are easier although the cave is deeper. We enjoyed Fantasy, too, but the steps are steeper. There is a pedestrian path between the caves and the Swizzle Inn. We enjoyed a delicious meal there...I had fish and chips and DH had a chicken sandwich...both very good..along with our rum swizzles.

I agree with the person who said St. George was good to see.

Whatever you choose, have a great time in beautiful Bermuda!