Guatemala - Malaria/Zika Advisories From CDC

Saildude16

Received notification from TA/Regent about the subject as we are on the Jan. 2017 LAX/MIA voyage which calls at Puerto Quetzal. Malaria prophylaxis is recommended as are steps to avoid mosquito bites. We're thinking about DEET spraying a set of long pants and long sleeved shirt and sealing them in food saver bags for the trip. Also, one can buy a 100% DEET "pen" to dab on your skin.

Leary of taking malaria meds before, during and after cruise.

Comments?

Hi! We are on the September Panama Canal voyage. We were notified 3 weeks ago regarding malaria prophylaxis. We have decided to do nothing. This includes not getting off the ship. We will try not to be outside and see those pesky mosquitos. Skipping Guatemala seems better than taking months of antibiotics.

There is a Zika alert for Miami Florida now!

Malaria prophylaxis does not require taking months of antibiotics. I have done it many times.you need to start a week before entering the area and continue for a couple of weeks after but not months.

Edited by RachelG

We have a climbing Non-Travel related Zika outbreak in South Florida as has been mentioned. The new cologne for South Florida is DEET. The clothes that you would wear in Africa that have the coating is not strong enough for this new contagion. Malaron or Malaria pills are only good for Malaria as this virus is completely different from African mosquitos. I would take the malaria pills anyway as a prophylaxis for non-Zika mosquitoes that you may get malaria from. As far as the pills, we have had no adverse reactions and have been traveling to Africa for ten years. We go for 30 days at the end of September for a very high end Safari with our TA/CEO and her husband all very private just the four of us.

Have done some research:

1. Jan. will be in the dry season, so less mosquitoes

2. Anophleles mosquito malaria carrier is a night feeder & shore excursions are daytime

3. CDC actually indicates risk to be "Low"

4. For $15 one can buy permethrin spray insect repellent to treat 4 sets of clothes. Product gets 4.5/5 stars for effectiveness even after 6 washings. Also keeps away ticks, gnats, etc., and is odorless.

5. Meds are not 100 % effective; can have significant side effects; and should be taken before, during and up to a month after trip.

6. Malaria is a parasite that kills lots of folks primarily in lesser developed parts of the world. However, one estimate was 1500 cases amongst the millions of travelers annually.

We're going to be there in Sept. We are going ashore for a daytime excursion. We are NOT taking anti-malaria drugs. But we will be using the strongest insect repellant we can get our mitts on.

The malaria risk is low to moderate. We're only ashore a few hours. We're not risk takers (we certainly took the meds for our Tanzanian safari), but I like to avoid drugs if possible.

Malaria is treatable Zika so far is not. We have taken malaria pills when traveling with no side effects. It is best to consult your Dr. As it is a prescription. You take them one week before and one week after you return home. As far as Zika the clothes are concerned as reported on the news today may not be an effective weapon against the Zika mosquito. It is best to apply the maximum strength of DEET to your skin and clothes. During the dry season you have no concerns but in places that have water or deltas it is a concern. We also have yellow fever vaccination which are required in many countries.

I am 76 years old and have an exception immune system. I have only had about three colds in my life. However, when we went to Africa, I did take malaria medication. I DID have serious side effects, i.e., huge sores inside and outside of my mouth. When I realized the problem I stopped the medication, early, and when I got to New York, the valet got me Carmax. It cleared them up, but the sores were awful. Be aware. You can never tell what will happen. Dry season is probably better than the wet season.

Have done some research:

1. Jan. will be in the dry season, so less mosquitoes

2. Anophleles mosquito malaria carrier is a night feeder & shore excursions are daytime

3. CDC actually indicates risk to be "Low"

4. For $15 one can buy permethrin spray insect repellent to treat 4 sets of clothes. Product gets 4.5/5 stars for effectiveness even after 6 washings. Also keeps away ticks, gnats, etc., and is odorless.

5. Meds are not 100 % effective; can have significant side effects; and should be taken before, during and up to a month after trip.

6. Malaria is a parasite that kills lots of folks primarily in lesser developed parts of the world. However, one estimate was 1500 cases amongst the millions of travelers annually.

Great answers. When we traveled on Regent to Africa last winter, we sprayed all our safari clothing, including hats, with permethrin spray before we left. Sprayed every inch of our clothing and let it hang up to dry. Sprayed them in our garage with the doors opened. Picked permethim up in Walmart. We didn't take the malaria pills and we were fine.

Sheila