Tipping at Palo and Remy

mamamzee

I've heard two sides: first, the cost includes gratuity and second, it's expected to add gratuity. If we add gratuity, how much And how much to whom? I'm of the mind that the cost of the meal should include the tip but maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice here?

I've heard two sides: first, the cost includes gratuity and second, it's expected to add gratuity. If we add gratuity, how much And how much to whom? I'm of the mind that the cost of the meal should include the tip but maybe I'm wrong.

Any advice here?

Sadly, you won't get a definitive answer here. Time was, in the past, that the upcharge supposedly did include a small gratuity. Now, speculation is that it still does, or doesn't, depending on who you ask. Palo/Remy CMs aren't exactly forthcoming as to whether it's actually included or not.

But, the DCL website does say that gratuities at both locations are "at your discretion".

As to the amount - anywhere from none to upwards of $100 per person has been reported.

As with all gratuities, it's entirely up to you what you feel the service warrants. If anything. It's usually just added to the charge slip you sign at the end of the meal.

Last month, we ate at both Palo & Remy. After reading discussions online, I told dh to add a tip and how much. We were both surprised when the slip came and a gratuity had been added above the upcharge amount. This was not mentioned in any discussions that I had read online nor did I remember reading this from any Disney literature. The tip on both slips was slightly less than we were going to add so we just added a little more to equal that amount. I was also glad that dh looked first and didn't just add and sign.

I agree that the amount is at your discretion, but the consensus that I gleaned was that most were equaling 15-20% of what they valued the meal and service to be (i.e. If they valued it to be $100 pp, they added a $15 -20 tip pp).

Edited by cruisetalk5

Thanks to the above, I think. I have even read that you are supposed to tip 15-20% of what the meal would cost on land. Seriously? The Remy meal would cost way more than $85 on land (see Victoria and Albert).

I think we will add a tip in the 20 range.

Last month, we ate at both Palo & Remy. After reading discussions online, I told dh to add a tip and how much. We were both surprised when the slip came and a gratuity had been added above the upcharge amount. This was not mentioned in any discussions that I had read online nor did I remember reading this from any Disney literature. The tip on both slips was slightly less than we were going to add so we just added a little more to equal that amount. I was also glad that dh looked first and didn't just add and sign.

I agree that the amount is at your discretion, but the consensus that I gleaned was that most were equaling 15-20% of what they valued the meal and service to be (i.e. If they valued it to be $100 pp, they added a $15 -20 tip pp).

Are you saying that the server added the tip before you even got a chance to add it yourselves? I've never had that happen at either Palo or Remy. Sounds like a definite no-no

Are you saying that the server added the tip before you even got a chance to add it yourselves? I've never had that happen at either Palo or Remy. Sounds like a definite no-no

I can't recall one way or another, but is the tip automatically included for the liquor portion of any purchase at Remy as it is everywhere else on the ship? I think it may be for that part of the dinner only. Even when you buy a drink at the MDR there is the standard tip included automatically.

Edited by Jestocost

Had the servers added a (non alcohol) tip and it was less than I was planning, they would not have gotten anymore from me.

That aside I have never experienced this situation yet. We always tip when we dine in Palo and Remy but it is for me to decide what to leave not someone to tell me especially when the gratuity is supposedly already included.

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

That was my thought, also. Then I read this:

I can't recall one way or another, but is the tip automatically included for the liquor portion of any purchase at Remy as it is everywhere else on the ship? I think it may be for that part of the dinner only. Even when you buy a drink at the MDR there is the standard tip included automatically.

I hadn't realized you had wine with dinner (not paying attention, I guess). Yes, the gratuity that was already on the charge slip would have been the 15% auto gratuity for a beverage purchase. Not a gratuity for the whole meal.

Thanks to the above, I think. I have even read that you are supposed to tip 15-20% of what the meal would cost on land. Seriously? The Remy meal would cost way more than $85 on land (see Victoria and Albert).

I think we will add a tip in the 20 range.

We tipped what it would have cost at a land based restaurant. I want to think at Remy we left $50 plus a cash tip to the sommelier, and at Palo we left $30 plus a cash tip to the sommelier. There were three of us at Palo BTW.

Yes, the slip was just like the spa slip. The amount of the service/upcharge then right below a printed gratuity amount and then below that a blank line for additional gratuity. The printed gratuity amount was half of the upcharge amount. Although surprising to see it already added, it did not occur to us at the time that the server may have taken liberty in doing so.

We did not have alcohol at Palo, but did at Remy. To think about it, the Remy amount may have been the 18% gratuity for the alcohol portion.

If there was alcohol involved, that would explain it.