Trip Insurance - buy through Carnival or what's your favorite company?

Stacy1436

I also use Steve, at Tripinsurancestore.com

Very helpful.

I also just learned not to buy trip insurance too early. I ran into a situation where I had got insurance right after scheduling the trip. Recently I needed to cancel trip. Carnival, funsaver. Got charged penalties. Wanted to change the dates on the insurance to another cruise/sailing and insurance company will not because I was charged a penalty. :eek: I didn't ask them to reimburse me for penalty, but since one was charged, I am out of luck! I also did it not thru my TA and without her knowledge. She told me she only books hers after final payment.

....Sooooo....when to buy insurance and what type of insurance to buy comes down to your particular circumstance.

I agree with this, it is far more important to know your circumstances, and then seek assistance from a knowledgeable cruise insurance broker. It is up to the purchaser to get themselves educated and to assess their own needs and then look for the policy that best fits what they need. Do not get conned into buying something you do not need....and don't just take any old policy offered by a travel agent because 'it is their standard policy that covers everything'.

Unfortunately, that means purchasers have to do some fine print reading...but better to do it now while you have time to learn than sitting in the emergency room wondering what to do, who to call or if it is covered.

As for choosing the best policy for a traveler's needs, some pertinent facts would include:

-Do you have Pre Existing Conditions that need to be covered? What about non-traveling family?

-Do you have elderly, very young or frail health family members back home?

-Are you traveling during a period when inclement weather could impact your travel?

-Do you need work related coverage?

-Do you need to cover flight costs? Connection delays? Cancelation or just medical?

-Do you need CFAR coverage?

-Does your age make cruiseline coverage an attractively priced alternative?

-Do you need primary or secondary coverage?

-What coverage levels do you want?

The answers to these questions vary from one person to the next and would result in different 'best' policy recommendations. Thus, the need to Read and Understand the policy DOC before purchasing and discussing your particular situation with the aforementioned Knowledgable Cruise Insurance Broker.

Edited by cherylandtk