Food Not to Miss in Italy

SandySetsSail

My husband is actually Italian born but he finds the pasta in Italy too al dente for his taste. So he asks for it more cooked. Sometimes they say that that is ok as that is how some of the old people like it! Sometimes they comment that they know it is served the more old fashioned way in the English speaking countries. Sometimes they ignore his request and out comes the spaghetti holding its shape. I quite enjoy this circus!

Can't say we were impressed with the food in Venice but we are only moderate fans of seafood. I am not a sweet tooth so I find pretty well all Italian cakes, desserts and even gelato too sweet but I really love the antipasta plates of cheese and salami etc.

Love arancini but I am not sure if you can get them out of Sicily (even though they are common in London, New York and Sydney!)

Ahhh, yes, Arancini! My husband and I tried this for the first time several years ago in Amalfi. Absolutely delicious! At the time, we had a hard time finding it in the US; however, it can now be found at a couple of local Italian restaurants in our home town... And in the freezer section at Trader Joes (although they are much smaller than those in Italy).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We also did a walking food tour in Rome. Great food, lots of wine and great places with history. It actually was quite a good tour without even the food. Only problem for us was poor planning on our part. We did an all-day tour and then booked this evening tour with only 30 minutes between. We were so tired by the end we could hardly stand. Both tours required lots of walking and standing.

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ahhh, yes, Arancini! My husband and I tried this for the first time several years ago in Amalfi. Absolutely delicious! At the time, we had a hard time finding it in the US; however, it can now be found at a couple of local Italian restaurants in our home town... And in the freezer section at Trader Joes (although they are much smaller than those in Italy).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pizzarium down by the Cipro Metro station in Rome has arancini. And suppli, kind of the Roman version of arancini - torpedo-shaped and filled with goodies - I like mozz and red sauce...

I pick up those TJ's arancini from time to time - easy to bake and pop in my mouth!!

Never have I been on a ship that did not let you bring food on board from a port. Taking food off the ship is an entirely different matter.

We were on Celebrity Reflection in Oct 2015 and security was not allowing food to be brought onboard. We saw several passengers trying to bring leftover pizza and pasta onboard and security was making them dump it.

Can't say we were impressed with the food in Venice....

Please dont judge the quality of real Venetian food from your experience. Unfortunately because Venice is such a tourist hub, the quality can be so much lower than other cites. Its sadly about making a quick buck.

Most of the places to eat in Venice cater just for tourists many of whom won't be returning so the quality is low.

Of course there are high quality places. But it's unlikely you'll stumble upon them by chance.

And of course if you dont mind paying big big dollars you get always find good quality .

If I'm in Venice there's no way I'd wander around thinking I'd find a decent place to eat by chance - unless I'm in a residential area and see local Venetians also eating....

Giolitti was my favorite gelato place in Rome. You can even get it topped with a little cream if you like.

Totally agree about Giolitti...visited 4 times in 3 days! We had a lot of great gelato in Italy, but there's just something special about Giolitti. You're know you're in a good place when you're surrounded by locals! ~~Judy

Best gelato I've had in Italy was at a place in San Gimignano (sorry - can't recall the name, but I could find it!) and at Perche No in Florence.

In the main square you would have 'Dondoli's' which is supposed to be the some of best ice cream in the world I.e it's won many awards. However you're likely to find a ridiculous line for this. I've always thought that it's not worth waiting 30 minutes for an ice cream if you're have such short time in SG.

25 metres away in the square is another ice cream place and the mostly not much of a line. It tastes pretty good from here also...

Edited by gary222

After this discussion I had to get some aranchini for dinner tonight! Nice easy Sunday night dinner as long as you don't have to make them.

What we like with the food in Italy versus Italian food here are the lighter sauces. Also the way the food is usually beautifully presented.

We had some amazing focaccia in Matera in Basilica. Also love anything with figs. They usually cost a fortune here and do not taste nearly as good.

My husband just loves chocolate custard cannoli but not the ricotta and chocolate chip ones that are from western Sicily.

Am I the only person around who does not eat gelato? Seems that way!

So true on the sauces! In the US, we seem to drown our pasta in sauce. I love the light touch of the Italians. I've seen some people track down the server to ask for more sauce :eek: It's pasta WITH sauce, not the other way around...

My ex-Nanna-in-law came from the "greater Naples" area. On special occasions, she would spend days making all the sweets - the pizelles, the sfoglitella, the cannoli, pignoli, ricotta cookies...yum. Not sugary-sweet, but so flavorful. Probably why I always seem to find the pasticceria wherever I am in Italy!

I have to agree with the author about Giolitti; it's never been a favorite of mine. I really REALLY liked the gelato at Gelateria del Teatro; I find it hard to believe it has gone so downhill in the year since I last tried it....

Was curious about this. When we were in Rome in April, we went to Teatro because of comments and thought it was ok. We will be back in April 1017 and expect to try Giolitti. We have understood that it's even more authentic when it is in cans.

Was curious about this. When we were in Rome in April, we went to Teatro because of comments and thought it was ok. We will be back in April 1017 and expect to try Giolitti. We have understood that it's even more authentic when it is in cans.

Or maybe the one in cans was San Crispino?

Or maybe the one in cans was San Crispino?

Not sure I understand the comment about it being in cans?

I like San Crispino, but the flavors tend to be understated, not BIG and BOLD. As I said above, not a big fan of Giolitti. Of course, that's not to say I'd turn down a cup. :D

I like San Crispino, but the flavors tend to be understated, not BIG and BOLD. As I said above, not a big fan of Giolitti. Of course, that's not to say I'd turn down a cup. :D

Thanks for the reply!

Cans with lids as opposed to open trays.

Thanks for the link, we won't be near those I don't think.

Edited by Preacherman46

My ex-Nanna-in-law came from the "greater Naples" area. On special occasions, she would spend days making all the sweets - the pizelles, the sfoglitella, the cannoli, pignoli, ricotta cookies...yum. Not sugary-sweet, but so flavorful. Probably why I always seem to find the pasticceria wherever I am in Italy!

A certain Italian pastry that I love: Sfogliatella. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sfogliatella

We had heard about the pastries in Naples and wanted to try them. The bring-no-food-back-onto-the-ship policy meant we skipped pizza in favor of pastries for lunch. We went to Scaturchio, near San Domenico Maggiore, reputed to be one of the best in the city. The babas were excellent and the sfogliatella was my best food memory of the entire trip. Ate them in a nearby courtyard while listening to a piano student attempting "Ode to Joy" somewhere upstairs.

You all are getting me so excited for my trip in early November. With 2 cruise ports I have 6 days in Italy, 3.5 in Rome, a day in Naples and another in Sicily. I can't wait and look forward to reading more suggestions and taking down more notes.

Thanks to everyone on the board for these suggestions. It is much appreciated.

A good place to check out gelato in cans is Grum, next time you're in Florence. All the gelato is kept in big metal containers, with only the round lids showing. To me, Grum gelato is very like Ben and Jerry's ice cream - heavy and creamy.

A good place to check out gelato in cans is Grum, next time you're in Florence. All the gelato is kept in big metal containers, with only the round lids showing. To me, Grum gelato is very like Ben and Jerry's ice cream - heavy and creamy.

There is also a Grom (did you mean that instead of Grum?) in Rome. The mothership is in Florence. But, for Florence, I'll stick to my gelateria on the Oltroarno side from the Westin & St. Regis...;)

There is also a Grom (did you mean that instead of Grum?) in Rome. The mothership is in Florence. But, for Florence, I'll stick to my gelateria on the Oltroarno side from the Westin & St. Regis...;)

Yes, you're right, I did mean Grom! Thanks! :o